European ZZR Meeting 2005 - PHOTOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• European ZZR Meeting 2005 - PHOTOS

Although the rest of them are probably as I type nursing the mother of all hangovers in the Hotel Mondschein, I got back from a few days in the Pyrenees yesterday and thought I would start the ball rolling with a few photos.

Batty and I set off on Sunday evening on the overnight ferry to St Malo and arrived at his parents' house near Agen on Monday evening.

Tuesday I headed into the Pyrenees via Lannemazan and went up the Col D'Aspin and Col du Tourmalet, both famous passes in the Tour de France. Seeing the amateur cyclists taking and hour or more to get up them I was glad my cycle was motorised.

First some photos of the climb up to Col D'Aspin, looking East:

The top of the pass itself:

It was too hot in leathers except at the top where it was pleasantly cool!

And a view looking West down the other side - the way to the Tourmalet:

The road down from the Col D'Aspin was nice as was the road up the Tourmalet. Here's a picture of the summit with the famous sculpture of the "Geant" of the Tourmalet, commemorating all the famous Tour de France riders who have won there:

There were also some unexpected visitors:

Finally I rode back down the Tourmalet and over the D'Aspin before reaching the main road at Arreau and turning South for a trip through the tunnel at the head of the valley into Spain:

The next day Batty and I rode down through Pau to ride the Col du Somport and the Col du Portalet. Both were good but Batty has the photos of these which he will doubtless post on his return.

Here's a final picture of both bikes at Batty's parents' house:

<div>BMW K1200S</div><div>BMW HP2 Sport</div><div>Yamaha WRF 250</div>www.bbot.co.uk

Nice pics Philip.....looks fantastic!
    If you don't know where you're going any road will get you there........

Comment

Those pics are awesome!!! I love the scenery.

Comment

Originally posted by Rolly
        Nice pics Philip.....looks fantastic!
        The mountains are definitely spectacular but next time I'd put the bike in a van or on a trailer and save myself the slog down and back since the roads in the Northern half of France are nothing to write home about. It was 452 miles down from St Malo and 480 back to Caen. 300 miles of each leg was fairly tedious.
        <div>BMW K1200S</div><div>BMW HP2 Sport</div><div>Yamaha WRF 250</div>www.bbot.co.uk

Comment

The photos look fantastic.
          You are making me really jealous as I have to wait another 12 days before I hit the ferry at Portsmouth.

Whilst northern France can be a little tedious on a bike, the cafes, restaurants and the "Logis de France" hotels certainly stop it from becoming a chore.

Comment

COME ON!!! You've got to have more pics than that!

Give 'em to us...we want more!

Shizoku
            "You are dead a long time, so don't waste the time you have while you are alive"...Johnny Unitas

"Vision without action is dreaming...Action without vision is a nightmare"

Comment

most of 'em ain't even back yet Shizoku!

Comment

Thanks, very nice. Looks like a beautiful ride. Post more when you can.
                sigpic

Comment

Them bikes are too clean, wassup no flies in fekin france or were you that slow?

How is Batty I heard he had some probs?

Comment

Originally posted by AuldNick
                    Them bikes are too clean, wassup no flies in fekin france or were you that slow?

How is Batty I heard he had some probs?
                    Your eyesight needs testing. Plenty of bug splats on both bike and visor. I'd have to clean the latter every hour.

Spoke to Batty Saturday evening. He was still stuck near Menton waiting for some bits. Don't know whether he managed to get to the Hotel or was brought home by the AA. Watch this space.

Comment

couldn't help notice the orangish color on the the right side of both bikes on the lower fairing....mine is not like that...what is it??

Comment

Just the ZZR1200 decals we get on European bikes........BTW it's red and black, not orange!!

Here's a closer pic:

Comment

Where did the dodgy sheep come from? Aberdeen??

Comment

Originally posted by AuldNick
                            Where did the dodgy sheep come from? Aberdeen??
                            I don't know but when I got to the top one of them asked when Batty would be along

Comment

Re: European ZZR Meeting 2005 - PHOTOS

Nice picys Welshee, but who the feck is the ugly git in this one? Just kiding.
                              http://www.zzrbikes.com/modules.php?...view_album.php

Comment

Working...
                              X