Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kawasaki, Why Don't You Care About US Road Racing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHARLIE
    replied
    Close to me is Cheaha State Park. The highest point in Alabama. I ride there often. It (Skyway 281) is probably the best 20+or - miles in our state.
    Only has a couple of side roads the entire trek. No potholes, bad pavement, no big trucks. It is the front main
    entrance, up and back. no through traffic. What I'm getting at is it once, probably 10 or so years back, packed
    like hell with bikes on the weekends. Now, not so much. I can ride up there during the week, basically almost alone.
    Even the Barbers track right down the road from me has gotten a bit lacks over the years. I think around here it's a Harley slow boat, or a few dual sports.
    Really has been a decline over the years.Wish it would make a comeback.

Leave a comment:

• BillDownUnder
    replied
    Greg, kids and dirt riding is still happening, but my guess is that more and more youngsters do the gaming stuff. There's a push here to get young ones out into the world and do "adventurous" stuff, like climb trees.

Local racing where I live was stopped for a couple of years, due to safety concerns, after a couple of riders were killed. Authorities thought it was to do with the track. Much lobbying has it back on the calendar.

I find also that spectators at racing events (local, and Phillip Island MotoGP) tend to be older riders (those with arctic blonde hair).

BW.

Leave a comment:

• gregness
    replied
    Charlie, I still see tons of bikes... but they are all Harley's, Adventure bikes or Gold Wings!

Bill, you are making me jealous! Key question: Do lots of kids still ride dirt bikes in Oz? Or are they being sucked into the gaming and gadget world like our kids are?

To be fair, we still have regional club racing, though it has declined, in part due to the numerous track-day options. The sport is not dead, it is just kind of drifting back to where it was pre-1972 (pre-Kenny Roberts!)

G

Leave a comment:

• BillDownUnder
    replied
    Here in Oz, SBK racing is alive and well. Each of our more populous states has a series of local rounds, with racing of all types, including SBK. There are usually 6 race meets per season per state.
    In addition, there is the National SBK round, I believe there are 5 such meets, held in different states. These are usually shown on regular TV (but not live).
    Furthermore, when MotoGP and WSBK are held at Phillip Island, support races include SBK.
    Kawasaki figures prominently in all of those.

Leave a comment:

• CHARLIE
    replied
    You are right in so many ways. When I first got the Zed (April 02) I would see tons of bikes out on any
    Sunday afternoon around these parts. Now I can ride for 3 or 4 hours on the best roads in the area
    and might see 25 bikes all day. We are a seemingly thin breed these days. There were charity rides
    all over the place (I rarely did those because I don't like large group rides) but hell, a bunch of guys did.
    Maybe it'll make a comeback before I have to sit on the porch and just watch. As far as racing, shit
    who knows?

Leave a comment:

• gregness
    replied
    Well, here we are four years after this thread was started... and I guess I kind of gave up too. And, the now-obvious answer to the question in the title of this thread is... because Americans don't care about US Road Racing either!

Sadly, motorcycle road racing in the US has drifted steadily down from its peaks of popularity in the 80's-90's to its present minimal status, and the culture seems to be leaving it even further behind. The fact that the glory days of American dominance in Gran Prix and WSBK racing were about 30 years ago is one reason. The fact that kids no longer ride mini-bikes and go dirt-bike riding is another, as electronic games, instant communications and U-Tube have replaced riding in the endless bid for the attention of boys and young men.

In parallel, the number buyers and riders of sport-bikes have declined, and the number of riders on the ultimate Sports-GT bikes (Hyabusa, ZX14R, etc.) are really shrinking. We, the riders of the ultimate road-blasters, are an aging and endangered species. Check the average age of the guys on this forum. When was the last time you saw a 30-something guy on one of these bikes?

But I digress. The bottom line is that in this environment, Kawasaki would be foolish to spend money on a sport that most Americans now ave to pay to see on the web, as it is no longer televised on many cable or satellite services. And that does not look likely to change anytime soon...

G

Leave a comment:

• JeffS
    replied
    Re: Kawasaki, Why Don't You Care About US Road Racing?

I gave up....

Leave a comment:

• Moise
    replied

Kawi put their money into WSBK and seem quite happy to keep doing that. But every man and his dog are in MotoGP now, so that may change in future. I'm sure that Rea would go well on the right bike.

Sent from my SM-G9208 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• hucky
    replied

I agree on the more support for Moto America if not a factory team but I seriously wish the Big K would get back into MotoGP.

I've written to Kawasaki a couple of times, basically asking things like are they going to bring the fuel injected version of the KLX250S to Canada and other basic questions. Now I understand their not willing to give away any secrets......but I never receive a reply of any kind!

Leave a comment:

• BIG O
    replied

Originally posted by gregness View Post
    Well, here we are two years after I started this thread, and not a damn thing has changed. Oh, except that a privateer named Bobby Fong is lapping his Superstock spec ZX10R with the factory Yamaha and Yoshimura Suzuki superbikes, with NO help from Kawasaki. And, the rules have been changed so that all the knowledge and parts developed for WSBK are a DIRECT FIT to legal AMA Superbikes...

Hello, Kawasaki? McFly? Buehler? Anybody listening?

I guess not.

G
    Unfortunately, they don't have to win on Sunday to sell on Monday.

As you said, he's doing great on a privateer bike, why would Kawi spend money on a team if they don't have to?

I'm with you in that I wish they would

Or

Road Racing in the U.S. sucks and they don't want to waste their money on it?

Leave a comment:

• gregness
    replied

Well, here we are two years after I started this thread, and not a damn thing has changed. Oh, except that a privateer named Bobby Fong is lapping his Superstock spec ZX10R with the factory Yamaha and Yoshimura Suzuki superbikes, with NO help from Kawasaki. And, the rules have been changed so that all the knowledge and parts developed for WSBK are a DIRECT FIT to legal AMA Superbikes...

Hello, Kawasaki? McFly? Buehler? Anybody listening?

I guess not.

G

Leave a comment:

• zrider
    replied

I agree it was a crazy year and hope that next year would be a better year.

Leave a comment:

• jimmymac
    replied

Kawi has been dominant in every class they compete in. Heck yes do Moto GP. Throw Nicky on the thing.

Leave a comment:

• gregness
    replied

So I wrote this and put it in the "Tell Kawasaki" forum on the off chance that someone at Kawasaki might actually see it. On that remote chance, if you have an "amen" or a "Right fkng on" to add to the thread it might carry a little more weight... I will be bumping it a couple of more times for this reason.

G

Leave a comment:

• NATURALBORNKILLAR
    replied

well written and truenbk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X