Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kawasaki, Why Don't You Care About US Road Racing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charlie, I still see tons of bikes... but they are all Harley's, Adventure bikes or Gold Wings!

Bill, you are making me jealous! Key question: Do lots of kids still ride dirt bikes in Oz? Or are they being sucked into the gaming and gadget world like our kids are?

To be fair, we still have regional club racing, though it has declined, in part due to the numerous track-day options. The sport is not dead, it is just kind of drifting back to where it was pre-1972 (pre-Kenny Roberts!)

G
    "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

Greg, kids and dirt riding is still happening, but my guess is that more and more youngsters do the gaming stuff. There's a push here to get young ones out into the world and do "adventurous" stuff, like climb trees.

Local racing where I live was stopped for a couple of years, due to safety concerns, after a couple of riders were killed. Authorities thought it was to do with the track. Much lobbying has it back on the calendar.

I find also that spectators at racing events (local, and Phillip Island MotoGP) tend to be older riders (those with arctic blonde hair).

BW.
      I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

Close to me is Cheaha State Park. The highest point in Alabama. I ride there often. It (Skyway 281) is probably the best 20+or - miles in our state.
        Only has a couple of side roads the entire trek. No potholes, bad pavement, no big trucks. It is the front main
        entrance, up and back. no through traffic. What I'm getting at is it once, probably 10 or so years back, packed
        like hell with bikes on the weekends. Now, not so much. I can ride up there during the week, basically almost alone.
        Even the Barbers track right down the road from me has gotten a bit lacks over the years. I think around here it's a Harley slow boat, or a few dual sports.
        Really has been a decline over the years.Wish it would make a comeback.
        "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
        but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Working...
        X