Cheaha Mountain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheaha Mountain

After hearing Charlie mention this ride on more than one occasion I was intrigued. So I made a plan to combine it with a trip to the Barber Museum, and try and find a few other roads worth a look. So yesterday I rode in rain for the first 4-5 hours followed by some glorious skies for the last 3 hours of my leg which ended in Columbus Ga. I awoke to rain again this morning and headed out in, at times torrential rain on my way to Cheaha. Once I got there the clouds were still heavy but no rain. I rode Charlies' road north on very a very wet surface, but as I neared the end the sun started to make an appearance. So I headed back down on drying roads, but still had to be very careful because some of the turns were still slick. Chilled at the bottom for 30 minutes basking in blue skies and sunshine. One more trip up and finally got to carry some pace despite having to cope with some wet corners.

My opinion of Charlies's road: Nice. No homes or businesses, only a few spots for cars entering. Very, very light traffic. In all 3 runs I maybe saw 10 cars and one mc. Surface is really nice and smooth. Really beautiful scenery. Good sight lines for the most part, could be really good if the grass had been mowed recently. A good mix of sweepers and twisties. Wish I could have had it completely dry, could have been fun.

Found out that Barber is having Vintage racing this weekend so I decided to forego my visit there. Not interested in crowds or traffic. Shame, cuz I have had this as a bucketlist item for a long time.

Tomorrow is shit for weather. I have one more day to play, but nothing seems worth the bother due to the projected rain. Can't even ride home w/o spending some serious time getting wet. Maybe when I wake in the AM things will look better. If not, then I will take a wet ride home.

The good news is the bike has done great. After being in mothballs for the last 3 years, she hasn't missed a beat. New shoes don't hurt. The bike just eats miles. I swear to go*, at 85-90, it feels like you are going 50. Even loaded down with another 60 lbs of travel crap, it still feels pretty nimble. Pretty damn comfy too. A fine machine.

Originally posted by mehush View Post
    After hearing Charlie mention this ride on more than one occasion I was intrigued. So I made a plan to combine it with a trip to the Barber Museum, and try and find a few other roads worth a look. So yesterday I rode in rain for the first 4-5 hours followed by some glorious skies for the last 3 hours of my leg which ended in Columbus Ga. I awoke to rain again this morning and headed out in, at times torrential rain on my way to Cheaha. Once I got there the clouds were still heavy but no rain. I rode Charlies' road north on very a very wet surface, but as I neared the end the sun started to make an appearance. So I headed back down on drying roads, but still had to be very careful because some of the turns were still slick. Chilled at the bottom for 30 minutes basking in blue skies and sunshine. One more trip up and finally got to carry some pace despite having to cope with some wet corners.

My opinion of Charlies's road: Nice. No homes or businesses, only a few spots for cars entering. Very, very light traffic. In all 3 runs I maybe saw 10 cars and one mc. Surface is really nice and smooth. Really beautiful scenery. Good sight lines for the most part, could be really good if the grass had been mowed recently. A good mix of sweepers and twisties. Wish I could have had it completely dry, could have been fun.

Found out that Barber is having Vintage racing this weekend so I decided to forego my visit there. Not interested in crowds or traffic. Shame, cuz I have had this as a bucketlist item for a long time.

Tomorrow is shit for weather. I have one more day to play, but nothing seems worth the bother due to the projected rain. Can't even ride home w/o spending some serious time getting wet. Maybe when I wake in the AM things will look better. If not, then I will take a wet ride home.

The good news is the bike has done great. After being in mothballs for the last 3 years, she hasn't missed a beat. New shoes don't hurt. The bike just eats miles. I swear to go*, at 85-90, it feels like you are going 50. Even loaded down with another 60 lbs of travel crap, it still feels pretty nimble. Pretty damn comfy too. A fine machine.
    Sorry the weather sucked! Sounds like you managed to have a good time anyway. Barber is on my list for sure!
    "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

Mike, glad to see you made the Cheaha 281 run. By far the best 40 miles (20 miles up and back) I've found in my state.
      You are correct, an absolute shitload of people around for the Barber Vintage weekend. All of the eating venues are
      packed to their limits. I hope to sneak in a ride tomorrow, but Sunday's booked for me with my son's prep football
      game. The weather today and for the next several days is spot on for the outdoor activities of any kind. I never have
      been to the Barber Vintage stuff, always something in the way. The museum is worth the trip from anywhere just for
      it. Beyond description. I haven't been in quite a while though myself.
      Last edited by CHARLIE; 10-08-2021, 07:52 PM.
      "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
      but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Working...
      X