New Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Helmet

I finally broke down and bought a new helmet. The RF1200 I had was way past due to be replaced, not just in age but the liner had broken down and Shoei was sold out of large helmet liners. Between the bathroom remodel and the engine rebuild in the Camaro I've been hard pressed to cough up the money for a new lid. I've been wearing an old KBC that I have. It has been in a helmet bag on a shelf in the garage for 8 or 9 years and although the liner was good the face shield was kinda cloudy and it never worked well with my glasses.
    I told myself I could spend four to five hundred on a new one and I ended up with a Sedici from Cycle Gear. I know someone else makes these for them but I don't know who. It's lighter and quieter than the RF1200 ever was; it fits really well and it came with the shield in the pics and a clear one also. I've only put about twenty miles on it but one thing I really appreciate is that it doesn't lift at 120 .I was out the door with it for $425.00 so all in all I'm pretty happy AND it will match my goldwing cafe bike if I ever get it done IMG_0603.jpeg IMG_0604.jpeg .
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.

That's pretty schnazzy looking! Hope you enjoy it!

I've had my Scorpion R710 for a more than a few years now and it's about time to update, I think. Scorpion has always been a solid choice for me and fits my head pretty well. The R710 really flows air too, an important issue for hot/muggy SoFla, especially in the warmer times of the year.

I'm kinda limited in full face helmet choices due to the size of my melon head. I'd like to try a Bell but few of their models run as large as I need and because I'm a cheapskate, I'm never going top-end, not when less expensive/equivalent models exist. It's why I've never owned an Arai and haven't owned a Shoei since they became too big for their britches 25+ years ago.

I'm now considering an HJC i10 in 3XL. Perhaps the Maze or Taze version. I'm a little leery tho as the last HJC helmet I bought- a CL17- fit me very poorly, lots of pressure points, especially in the forehead. It was so bad that during one ride, I almost threw it in the garbage and rode helmetless. In contrast, the i10 is reportedly a great helmet, flows a lot of air, and is quite stylish. The only disadvantage is the 3XL is only DOT rated.

https://www.hjchelmets.us/product/i10-maze/
    https://www.hjchelmets.us/product/taze/

I've looked at the Sedici Strada too, another relatively inexpensive helmet that has gotten solid reviews.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...eBM56DGINbSb8E
    ​​​​​​​Lee

Comment

I'm still alternating a Scorpion EXOR2000 and an Arai Quantum2. I run the Scorpion at night (the Arai is a pain in the ass to change shield)
      They both flow well. I got both used, not at the same time though. Both were in perfect shape and I purchased new headliners and good as
      new without breaking the bank. The Arai was still in the box with a mirror shield still in the plastic. Bargains are out there, just gotta look.
      That's a nice helmet you got there oldgreykaw.
      "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
      but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Thanks guys, I was gonna suck it up and use some of my engine fund to pay for it but the wife said that this was a "necessity" and to just take out of the bank. You know sometimes she is pretty cool.

Comment

Nice big air inlets. I want and need a new helmet but the wife is still pissed I purchased the ZZR1200. I am going to get one somehow. I have a KBC I purchased new, and replaced the foam liner. Kerosene works really well for cleaning the visors. Make sure you rinse it well though.

Comment

Plexus on all of my visors. Not the inside on the Scorpion, it just gets dishsoap and water (recommended by them)
            I've been using Plexus for well over 20 years on visors and windscreens.

Comment

Plexus is the bomb for visors and plastics in general but if you want something that works just as well and costs a fraction of Plexus try lemon scent Pledge furniture spray / enhancing polish. I swear it’s the same product in a different can. I used Plexus for years and made the switch to Lemon scent Pledge a long time ago and I’ve never looked back. Locally a small can of Plexus costs over $30 while a large can of Pledge is about $7 bucks. I keep it in my tankbag to clean my visor and in the garage to clean the windscreen and fairings on the motorcycles.
              Last edited by NotDeadYet; 08-27-2021, 08:22 PM.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

I purchase mine direct from the manufacturer, we use it at the shop/work, so cost isn't
                much more than Pledge. Plexus has better UV protection additives and furniture polish
                has basically none (depending on manufacturers claims) I have used Pledge back years ago
                as well before I used Plexus, it doesn't last as long. But, if you can get it cheap, and use it more,
                than it's a winner. Like I said, my cost on Plexus is minimal. Only thing, they don't make the little
                cans any more but I still have a few here and there. I only use them out on the road and the larger
                ones at the house and work. Those little dudes fit anywhere too. Not much bigger than a Bic lighter.

Comment

I wish Pledge came in smaller cans. The larger can takes up a lot of space in my tank bag.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Interesting thread. Sedici's are pretty slick looking!

I have been using a Bell Qualifier DLX MIPS Illusion Helmet, but it is pretty noisy, especially where the cutout piece is for in the communicator compartment (Stopped making them like that recently I believe).

Been looking at a HJC RPHA 70. Anyone have experience with them?

Comment

I've never heard of Plexus or using Pledge. I've never had furniture worth polishing I guess. I used only dish soap diluted with water, and well rinsed the visor. I found the Kerosene really bites into the visor and removes small scratches or makes them invisible.. I am going to get a can of Pledge though. My brother in law purchased an Arai helmet. It cost him $700 bucks We have the same size head. It was the most comfortable helmet I'v e ever worn. I used to deal them when I worked at a Yamaha dealership, but couldn't afford one even then at dealer cost.

I want to get a great helmet without breaking the bank. This will be the last helmet I probably buy.

Comment

Plexus ain't new. It's been around for years. I got my first can from some airplane guys when I used to buy
                        aviation fuel from the airport some years back. If it's good enough for airplane windshields, and gauge covers, it's great for motocycle
                        screens and helmet visors. Like I said, I don't use it on my Scorpion visors because of the anti fog coating they have from the factory.
                        Plus those Arai visors are $$$$ so they get the Plexus. No smears, streaks, and hairline cracks with some that are several years old.
                        The UV protection is what is claimed to keep any microscopic cracks from forming causing glare at night with clear screens. I work
                        with a lot of optics and screens/coverings in my profession so I'm a little picky with what we use to clean them.

Comment

CHARLIE, I worked on engines, wheels, and wings, never had to clean planes. Doing an annual on a plane involves lubricants and anti corrosive products that can cost up to $200 bucks for a large spray can. I will be checking out this Plexus though. How do you like your ARAI helmet?/ I really think I want to try and get one but aren't sure of what model or where is the best place to buy them. The dealers around here have had the same helmets sitting around for years, and they want a lot for them. My cheap KBC Visor has held up incredible, to be honest. I redid the liner myself. I found that Jo-Ann Fabrics has the same foam backed material that's in the helmet, and I used the old ones for patterns.

Comment

Originally posted by Kawasakian View Post
                            CHARLIE, I worked on engines, wheels, and wings, never had to clean planes. Doing an annual on a plane involves lubricants and anti corrosive products that can cost up to $200 bucks for a large spray can. I will be checking out this Plexus though. How do you like your ARAI helmet?/ I really think I want to try and get one but aren't sure of what model or where is the best place to buy them. The dealers around here have had the same helmets sitting around for years, and they want a lot for them. My cheap KBC Visor has held up incredible, to be honest. I redid the liner myself. I found that Jo-Ann Fabrics has the same foam backed material that's in the helmet, and I used the old ones for patterns.
                            Beats the hell out of the folded up microfiber towel I was using in the shoei????????????

Comment

Amazon has Plexus for $23.94, I will be buying a can. Thanks!!

Link = https://www.amazon.com/Plexus-20207-...62212771&psc=1

Comment

Working...
                              X