This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Covid? FUCK YOU.

I am also hoisting a one-fingered salute to reality and going on a one man mini-rally on what may be the last weekend of decent riding weather in NE Washington. I am taking a 250 mile loop to my cabin in Republic tomorrow afternoon, including a 36 mile piece of Hiway 20 that has actually been written up in a MC magazine as "Sweeper Paradise". Never been on that stretch and excited about it. On Monday I have another 180-200 mile (depends) ride back to our home in Spokane on some good roads that may be f*cked up due to all the fire fighting that has been going on around them. At least yesterday's rain seems to have knocked down a lot of the remaining fires. We shall see. At the cabin I will raise a toast of McCallen to my brothers and light up a cigar.

G
    "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

Hi All,

Will keep an eye out here to confirm there is atleast one other die hard . I still have hotel booked for Thur, Fr and Sat nights .
      Gord, if you are still planning a layover, in Bridesville, I would try to connect with you the morning of your departure , for the ride into Kaslo . I would likely connect with you in Rock Creek .
      The weather is looking rather poor for road biking unfortunately, but just what the doctor is ordering for dirt biking and forest fire fighting .

Take care all ... will monitor your posts up until game time !
      Steve

PS- I am not a fisherman , but if riding Highway 31 is not in the cards, then the Kaslo River runs right beside it , looks like some nice pools to fish ? I could kill some time at Ainsworth Hot Springs .

Comment

Well I got my first day of riding in my one-man rally in. Good roads and fun until I headed over to Republic from Kettle Falls... rode into a thunderstorm, massive lightning show and I got drenched. I thought the storm looked to be just to the north of Highway 20 but not quite- lighting hit a tree and dropped it across the road a few minutes before I rolled up (in the downpour) but I was able to skirt around it and head for the pass, hoping it was going to clear up... but it took 15 more miles to do so! 50 degrees was very cold when wet so I stopped just after the top and changed to warmer gloves and added a fleece. All good after that... back at my cabin with a glass of McCallen and a fire going to dry out my stuff. Better than staying home!

Comment

A lunch Spot on the PDR river.jpg Well I got my first day of riding in my one-man rally in. Good roads and fun until I headed over to Republic from Kettle Falls... rode into a thunderstorm, massive lightning show and I got drenched. I thought the storm looked to be just to the north of Highway 20 but not quite- lighting hit a tree and dropped it across the road a few minutes before I rolled up (in the downpour) but I was able to skirt around it and head for the pass, hoping it was going to clear up... but it took 15 more miles to do so! 50 degrees was very cold when wet so I stopped just after the top and changed to warmer gloves and added a fleece. All good after that... back at my cabin with a glass of McCallen and a fire going to dry out my stuff. Better than staying home!

Comment

Ok.... as your riding in one of my favourite areas .... gotta fill me in.... what route did you take to get from Spokane to Kettle Falls . Second question, that doesn't look like the Columbia behind you, more like the Kettle or Spokane River , but where is the pic from ?

Have you ridden Flowering Trail between Usk and Chewelah ? You have so many good options , will assume you have , but you might not have, as its not as direct. It is a great Sweeper section .
            There's some great dirt bike trails connecting Cusick/ Usk (Batey Bould ORV) and Gillette Lakes region ( little Pend Oreille ORV system ) too . You have it all down there :)

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo555 View Post
              Ok.... as your riding in one of my favourite areas .... gotta fill me in.... what route did you take to get from Spokane to Kettle Falls . Second question, that doesn't look like the Columbia behind you, more like the Kettle or Spokane River , but where is the pic from ?

Have you ridden Flowering Trail between Usk and Chewelah ? You have so many good options , will assume you have , but you might not have, as its not as direct. It is a great Sweeper section .
              There's some great dirt bike trails connecting Cusick/ Usk (Batey Bould ORV) and Gillette Lakes region ( little Pend Oreille ORV system ) too . You have it all down there :)
              So, you are correct- that is the Pond Oreille River between Cusik and Tiger.
              My route- out Highway 2 from Spokane to Reardan, then north on 231 through Ford up to Chewelah, then Flower Trail (yes this rocks) to Usk, then north on 20 to Tiger, and 20 west over to Colville. That 36 mile section of 20 over to Colville had some nice turns. I could see the storm clouds over near K Falls as I descended in to Colville. There was a blue sky just to the south, and it looked like I would be out of the rain just a few miles after crossing the Columbia, as 20 runs south about 7 miles before heading west again... but I got rained on pretty hard for about 15 miles. I ended up stopping for more layers and heavy gloves near the summit.

Heading out shortly from Republic- down 21 to Bridge Creek Road, then east on it over to Inchillium and the ferry. The big fire northwest of Inchillium seems to have been dowsed by the recent rains, no smoke today and no heat signature on the sat map. I hope the road down there is not all messed up from all the heavy equipment they have been running around to put out the fire.

G

Comment

Forecast pretty much guarantees snow in the passes enroute from both east and west to Kaslo.

I think we'll have to wait for the boarder to open and book next summer.

sigpic

Comment

Well.... will start the countdown to 2022 with the hope this virus stuff wraps up and we get rain next Spring and Summer . Gotta admit, I never ever imagined we would get so much resistance to getting a friggin shot in the arm, and this thing would keep re-inventing itself . But so far the herd isn't yet immune. If this is still the same next Spring , we can build some rafts upstream from Midway, BC ..... we can float into the US to start, tie them up around Curlew while we ride , then float back into Grand Forks , when we are done !

Thanks for trying to organize Greg and Gord ...
                  S

Comment

Farewell to riding season 2021 and good freaking riddance! I will post some pics and notes from Day 2 of my one-man defiance rally in another thread...

Comment

I was so hoping to let Sir Gregness & Gareth ride my old ZZR with improved suspension and recent engine repairs to see if could bring an old familiar smile to their faces. I guess I have to try and crack their gob smacks next year. And I finally got a few farkles I wasn't able to show off.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bctrout View Post
                        I was so hoping to let Sir Gregness & Gareth ride my old ZZR with improved suspension and recent engine repairs to see if could bring an old familiar smile to their faces. I guess I have to try and crack their gob smacks next year. And I finally got a few farkles I wasn't able to show off.
                        We'll take a rain check on the ZZR1200 experience for sure...

Comment

^^guy who refuses to ride my H2 in case he experiences modern brakes and handling

​​​​​​

Comment

987AE6EA-2F6F-49A8-8DD2-1A5AEDBB49A9.jpeg
                            sigpic

Comment

We made a good decision I suggest ! Screenshot 2021-09-17 at 6.29.24 PM.png

Comment

Looks like we could have made it!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X