This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 West 2020 Plan B Thread

As noted in the soon to be deleted Moto America 2 West Thread, the race got cancelled and moved (hopefully) to late August. So we need a Plan B. I am open to multiple ideas- like:

A. Do the route that was planned to attend the races, without the races...
    B. Go ride in Montana (Beartooth Pass / Chief Joseph ?)
    C. Go ride in Canada (Chilcotion out to Bella Coola?)
    D. Any other crazy ideas you guys may have...

G
    "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

I would love to come along for this trip, yet, I will no longer be in the area. End of May, my job is taking me to Oklahoma, permanently. Looks like I'll need to find some new riding areas, and get used to straight roads. However, if I was in the area, I'd vote for C. Wife and I would love to ride that Canada area and get up to Banff and such. Never been there, on the bucket list of places to ride.

Comment

Originally posted by bretb View Post
      . End of May, my job is taking me to Oklahoma, permanently. Looks like I'll need to find some new riding areas, and get used to straight roads. .
      Here's about all you are going to get in Oklahoma

Where in Oklahoma are you moving to?
      I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Montana(Beartooth)/Idaho(Sawtooth)
        My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
        http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

I would love to come along for this trip, yet, I will no longer be in the area. End of May, my job is taking me to Oklahoma, permanently. Looks like I'll need to find some new riding areas, and get used to straight roads. However, if I was in the area, I'd vote for C. Wife and I would love to ride that Canada area and get up to Banff and such. Never been there, on the bucket list of places to ride.
          Bret- we are sad to hear you guys are moving from the NW! But life happens... good luck in all of your future adventures!

Greg

Comment

Okay, here is Evil Plan I: Glacier/Beartooth/N.Yellowstone/Lolo Pass Route- You can just call it the National Parks Route

Day 1: (For Me) Ride Spokane to Browning MT (Glacier Park's East Gate)- 340 miles. I figure with the economy in the dumpster there will not be a better summer to pass through Glacier. And, I plan to hit the west entrance in the mid-afternoon, when most of the traffic (in my experience) will be coming back out of the park to the Kalispell area. Calgarians could easily meet us there.

Day 2: Browning to Livingston on Hwy 89 through Great Falls and Helena-Lewis and Clark Ntl. Forest. About 350 miles. (open to suggestions on alternate routes)

Day 3: Awesomeness! A loop through God's Country: Livingston to Red Lodge on I-90 and MT78; MT 210 from Red Lodge to the Chief Joseph Highway (296) and then 296 to where it intersects WY 120, and then back up 296 to 212,(yes it is worth doing twice) and from there west through the northern edge of Yellowstone Park (again, it should be a good year for this and the scenery will be epic) past Tower Junction and over to 89, through Gardner and back to our hotel in Livingston. I figure about 350 miles all-in. A long day but an awesome one, feel free to check my math. One cool thing is we could leave our luggage in Livingston and ride lean on these amazing roads.

Day 4: West on 90 to Bozeman, then back roads (84/287/41/278/43) west over to MT 93, and part of the way up to Lolo. Details TBD.

Day 5: Lolo Pass, Highway 12 west to Lewiston, and for me on back up to Spokane.

So, Upsides are- awesome scenery and great roads, great time of year, Covid 19 recession keeping the park crowds reasonable, no days planned over 350 miles. And Montana speed limits (suggestions, really)
            Downsides are - the parks may still be pretty crowded, and most of us have done these roads before, so no new horizons will be trod.

So, potential dates that may work for everyone would be to start Day 1 on July 26, so we hit West Glacier later on a Sunday afternoon, and back to Spokane by July 30.

So, what do you think? This can be shortened by a day by taking I-90 back to Spokane on Day 4, and/or we could start on Saturday the 25th, though it would seem to maximize the crowds at Glacier.

Please feel free to post your own suggested routes, edits to this proposal, and of course anyone is welcome to enter and depart this rolling rally whenever they want.

G

Comment

Originally posted by BIG O View Post

Here's about all you are going to get in Oklahoma

Where in Oklahoma are you moving to?
              Big O, I'll take what I can get!!! Lots of flat, straight roads to get to that stretch, and about 3.5-4 hours.

Comment

Big O, I'll take what I can get!!! Lots of flat, straight roads to get to that stretch, and about 3.5-4 hours.
                So where in Oklahoma are you going to be located?
                I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by gregness View Post
                  Okay, here is Evil Plan I: Glacier/Beartooth/N.Yellowstone/Lolo Pass Route- You can just call it the National Parks Route

... Hwy 212,(yes it is worth doing twice)...

G
                  Well that was a fun geography lesson.

I for one haven't done any of those roads. While looking I noticed Hwy 212 before reading it in your description and was thinking that looks so fun I could ride that all day.

I love the idea.
                  Seems like a blast to me.
                  Mrs. Trout would to if she can get away.
                  sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=
                    C. Go ride in Canada (Chilcotion out to Bella Coola?)
                    G[/QUOTE]

Nice Idea if they fill my dreams paving the 20 kms missing asphalt. Bella Coola 20Kms gravleUntitled.png Bella Coola 20Kms gravel 02.png Bella Coola 20Kms gravel 03.png

sigpic

Comment

Big O, lets meet in the middle and go big hommie!!!
                      sigpic

Stupid people can be dangerous in large groups

Comment

The route sounds good Greg. Thank you for setting this up. Hopefully, we can get some additional side roads in from suggestions from the others. I still do not know when I officially start back to school. The students first day is August 4th. I will find out when teachers are to report when we get our contracts (probably have to report on July 29th). I may be able to take leave, so I am not rushing back to Arizona.

I am planning to trailer my bike up to Idaho. Then ride up to Spokane and meet up with you Greg, if that is ok.

Anyone in this forum have a place in Idaho, near Boise, that I can park my Xterra and trailer for a few days?
                        My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
                        http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

Originally posted by gregness View Post

Day 1: (For Me) Ride Spokane to Browning MT (Glacier Park's East Gate)- 340 miles. I figure with the economy in the dumpster there will not be a better summer to pass through Glacier. And, I plan to hit the west entrance in the mid-afternoon, when most of the traffic (in my experience) will be coming back out of the park to the Kalispell area. Calgarians could easily meet us there.

Day 2: Browning to Livingston on Hwy 89 through Great Falls and Helena-Lewis and Clark Ntl. Forest. About 350 miles. (open to suggestions on alternate routes)

Day 3: Awesomeness! A loop through God's Country: Livingston to Red Lodge on I-90 and MT78; MT 210 from Red Lodge to the Chief Joseph Highway (296) and then 296 to where it intersects WY 120, and then back up 296 to 212,(yes it is worth doing twice) and from there west through the northern edge of Yellowstone Park (again, it should be a good year for this and the scenery will be epic) past Tower Junction and over to 89, through Gardner and back to our hotel in Livingston. I figure about 350 miles all-in. A long day but an awesome one, feel free to check my math. One cool thing is we could leave our luggage in Livingston and ride lean on these amazing roads.

Day 4: West on 90 to Bozeman, then back roads (84/287/41/278/43) west over to MT 93, and part of the way up to Lolo. Details TBD.

Day 5: Lolo Pass, Highway 12 west to Lewiston, and for me on back up to Spokane.

So, Upsides are- awesome scenery and great roads, great time of year, Covid 19 recession keeping the park crowds reasonable, no days planned over 350 miles. And Montana speed limits (suggestions, really)
                          Downsides are - the parks may still be pretty crowded, and most of us have done these roads before, so no new horizons will be trod.

So, potential dates that may work for everyone would be to start Day 1 on July 26, so we hit West Glacier later on a Sunday afternoon, and back to Spokane by July 30.

So, what do you think? This can be shortened by a day by taking I-90 back to Spokane on Day 4, and/or we could start on Saturday the 25th, though it would seem to maximize the crowds at Glacier.

Please feel free to post your own suggested routes, edits to this proposal, and of course anyone is welcome to enter and depart this rolling rally whenever they want.

G
                          This makes my heart go pitter patter!

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Well this idea is proving popular... I will give it a few days for others to chime in, and once we have an idea of numbers, I will finalize the last hotel night location and then start looking at the usual 5 star hotels we are known to frequent...

G

Comment

This idea totally works for me. Let's not meet in Browning though, it's quite a stabby little town and I don't feel comfortable parking anything shiny within a few miles of the place.

The towns and villages around the west park entrance might be slightly happier choices, and while Kalispell will be full of Canadians it might be the pleasantest if this summer is going to be quieter out there

Comment

Working...
                              X