Blood Mountain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood Mountain

I'm stir crazy, the weather is supposed to be high 60s tomorrow around Blood Mountain, and I have a new bike itching to be leaned over.

If anyone wants to join me, send me a PM or text me.

I'll report back tomorrow evening, at the latest.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Enjoy the ride.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

70 here tomorrow and rain like hell.

Forecasting dangerous hail storms too

Clear this weekend and back down to the mid 40's

I give.

Have a safe ride mark if you do go.

BTW need some new pics of the bike since you added the exhaust, etc....
      I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Happy to report back I had a blast. About 300 miles door to door; more than half of that is reaching Blood Mountain.

Road impressions

I road Blood Mountain (north and south sides), Richard B. Russell, 60 south of the rock pile. Minimal gravel/dirt/grass on all roads. The spots that had some, it was usually concentrated on the center line. Traffic was light. Ran into single road construction crossing from 60 to 129; they're grinding then filling rough spots.

Bike impressions

Wow. I can grunt out of corners at 4-6 grand. Looking at the tach, 0-4k rpms is clustered small/together. From there, the tach spreads out per grand, indicating to me that is the expected power band.

I imagine it'll be a lot better once I have the performance upgrades installed (M4 exhaust + PC + filter).

Suspension needs setup. Even though I'm down to 185 lbs (without gear, probably 195 lbs with gear?), it needs some preload on front/rear, maybe some extra dampening/rebound. Will have that done at the same time I have perf upgrades done.

The quick up-shifter is slick. How have I been without such wonderful technology for so long? I used it quite a few times coming out of a turn to keep the bike in the optimal power range.

Weather

Mid 60's, overcast. Wonderful weather for this time of year. Roads were very slightly damp.

Overall

Ground my left foot a few times going into a corner too hot, which loaded up the front. My foot was also too far forward on the peg when that happened.

Spontaneously met up with two riders at the bottom of Blood Mountain (stop sign turnaround spot). I waved, they pulled out and I followed. The big guy on the smaller bike took it slow. I followed the lead bike with a GoPro on his helmet until he let me pass. The last two turns before reaching the top, he followed me with his GoPro. I should have some video in my inbox soon :)

The GoPro leader was on a FZ-07 and riding pretty well considering that bike has no adjustable suspension. The other guy was on a Z400 (he called it a Ninja 400 but it was mostly naked).
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BIG O View Post
          70 here tomorrow and rain like hell.

Forecasting dangerous hail storms too

Clear this weekend and back down to the mid 40's

I give.

Have a safe ride mark if you do go.

BTW need some new pics of the bike since you added the exhaust, etc....
          I haven't added it yet. Waiting on my bike shop to come back with a quote on all the upgrades/changes I want to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post

I haven't added it yet. Waiting on my bike shop to come back with a quote on all the upgrades/changes I want to do.
            Exhaust, tail tidy, anything else?

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Happy to report back I had a blast.

The other guy on a Z400 was mostly naked.
              Sounds like your kind of ride!!!

Comment

Exhaust, tail tidy, anything else?
                and integrated turn signals for rear, frame/axle sliders, stainless steel front/rear brake lines, bigger windshield

Comment

and integrated turn signals for rear, frame/axle sliders, stainless steel front/rear brake lines, bigger windshield
                  I'm going with $1000 OTD.

Comment

I'm going with $1000 OTD.
                    Including parts and labor? Parts alone was $1000, at least by my estimate.

My bike shop assured me he doesn't markup parts costs, just orders from sportbikegear or something and charges me what he paid, making up cost in labor. I have no reason not to believe him, though I've never bought parts through them, just paid for labor. He did let go his front desk person, took over that job and hired a pro mechanic to do the work instead of him.

Comment

Including parts and labor? Parts alone was $1000, at least by my estimate.

My bike shop assured me he doesn't markup parts costs, just orders from sportbikegear or something and charges me what he paid, making up cost in labor. I have no reason not to believe him, though I've never bought parts through them, just paid for labor. He did let go his front desk person, took over that job and hired a pro mechanic to do the work instead of him.
                      Oh, that's right.

I forgot you were going with a full system.

Add another $500 to it.

So I'll say between $1500-$1700 OTD.

Comment

Nice ride report. Tnx for sharing. I’m jealous!

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Oh, that's right.

I forgot you were going with a full system.

Add another $500 to it.

So I'll say between $1500-$1700 OTD.
                          Seems reasonable. He did mention he has a direct line with the M4 manufacturers, so I'm hoping for a good deal on that -- at least $765 for the full system, hopefully lower.

Comment

Cleaning up and lubing the bike post ride, I noticed the oil filter location.

While I appreciate they made it easy to change without removing the plastics, I don't envy the tech changing my oil.
                            Attached Files

Comment

At least it appears that Kaw had the forethought to attach a plastic drain tray under the filter.

Now all you/he needs is to place something around the area where the oil might spill onto it.

I'll usually get some tin foil and place around those areas.

That way all I have to do is fold it up when done and put it in the trash.

Viola!

Comment

Working...
                              X