Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 AMA Superbike Seattle - 2West Event?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 AMA Superbike Seattle - 2West Event?

As Bill pointed out back in August, the AMA Superbike (now known as Moto America) series returns to the Northwest for the first time since the 1980's next year. The Race will actually be about 90 miles SW of Seattle at The Ridge road course near Shelton. The race weekend is June 26-28. I plan to attend... Bill thought he might come up as well. I am thinking of taking two days to ride over from Spokane, via a route dropping down to the SE area of the state, then taking highway 12 over White Pass. I would arrive Saturday mid-day and head out after the races Sunday- where I do not yet know...

Just thought I would throw this out there. Too bad this did not happen two years ago when I lived in a big house 25 minutes from the track...

G
    "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Well so far the response here has been deafening silence...

Maybe it would help if I translate this for our Canadian buddies:

How's it going, eh?

As Bill pointed out back in August, the AMA Superbike (now known as Moto America) series returns to the Northwest for the first time since the 1980's next year. It's aboot time! The Race will actually be about 90 miles SW of Seattle at The Ridge road course near Shelton. The race weekend is June 26-28. Even though your pals Miguel Duhamel and Steve Crevier are no longer racing, it could be a good time. I plan to attend... Bill thought he might come up as well. I am thinking of taking two days to ride over from Spokane, via a route dropping down to the SE area of the state, then taking highway 12 over White Pass. I would arrive Saturday mid-day and head out after the races Sunday. If the snow has melted by then you could ride down to Spokane and ride with me, eh? It could be a fun pro-cess.

Just thought I would throw this out there. Hope you can join. I promise to play Rush, Neil Young and Triumph on the house sound system

Good Day, Hosers.

G
    Last edited by gregness; 12-06-2019, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Greg, I'm definitely going to try to make it, eh

Comment

Too soon for me to know if I'll be in the area or not. If I'm in the area, I'd like to make the races at least. Shelton isn't that far for me, usually an hour.

Comment

All right now we're getting some traction!

Comment

A bump and and update here...

With the race weekend date just 90 days out now, thought I would bring this back to the surface. Obviously with the Vi-Crisis the viability of the race event is up in the air, and things will be tenuous until the situation evolves a bit further. (MotoAmerica has not announced any schedule revisions for their 2020 calendar yet) Meanwhile, I have been thinking and studying ride routes, and I am having second thoughts about my first choice, looping down towards Walla Walla and then west on 12 across the mountains to the Olympia-Shelton area. Frankly, a whole lot of that route looks pretty boring once I did a recon trip part way down and drilled down (using Google Maps) on the roads from here to where we would pick up 12, and then 12 kinda sucks until you get to White Pass.

So Plan B would be to take Highway 20 (North Cascades) over to where it meets I-5 at Mt. Vernon, then keep going on 20 over and down Whidbey Island to the ferry across to Port Townsend. From there it is about 100 miles down the west side of Hood Canal on 101 to Shelton- a pretty ride and with some good curves, though the summer time motor home traffic can suck. Might be best to do that on a Friday morning instead of a Saturday. I could lead a fun 140 mile day ride in the Olympia area if we don't want to do the track both Saturday and Sunday.

For the Canadian contingent this could work out better, as we could meet up at my place in Republic and then head west from there. If Gordon wants to join, he could just hop the ferry from Vancouver to Port Angeles and meet us on 101.

Your ideas and observations are welcome!
            Last edited by gregness; 03-23-2020, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Buhler?

Comment

G, I'm on board with the plan but unfortunately won't know until May if I can get the time off work because of a project I'm working. Really itching to get some miles on my H2 and catch up with zed peeps

Comment

Hope you guys are planning better in the midst of the pandemic virus threat.

Comment

I still plan to trailer and/or ride the northwest in June. I would love to ride Hwy 20 westwardly. I missed that a few years ago. Obviously, this is subject to change based on the spread of the coronavirus. Hopefully we will be on the lower backside of the curve or flattened back out.
                    My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
                    http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

Originally posted by gregness View Post
                      A bump and and update here...

With the race weekend date just 90 days out now, thought I would bring this back to the surface. Obviously with the Vi-Crisis the viability of the race event is up in the air, and things will be tenuous until the situation evolves a bit further. (MotoAmerica has not announced any schedule revisions for their 2020 calendar yet) Meanwhile, I have been thinking and studying ride routes, and I am having second thoughts about my first choice, looping down towards Walla Walla and then west on 12 across the mountains to the Olympia-Shelton area. Frankly, a whole lot of that route looks pretty boring once I did a recon trip part way down and drilled down (using Google Maps) on the roads from here to where we would pick up 12, and then 12 kinda sucks until you get to White Pass.

So Plan B would be to take Highway 20 (North Cascades) over to where it meets I-5 at Mt. Vernon, then keep going on 20 over and down Whidbey Island to the ferry across to Port Townsend. From there it is about 100 miles down the west side of Hood Canal on 101 to Shelton- a pretty ride and with some good curves, though the summer time motor home traffic can suck. Might be best to do that on a Friday morning instead of a Saturday. I could lead a fun 140 mile day ride in the Olympia area if we don't want to do the track both Saturday and Sunday.

For the Canadian contingent this could work out better, as we could meet up at my place in Republic and then head west from there. If Gordon wants to join, he could just hop the ferry from Vancouver to Port Angeles and meet us on 101.

Your ideas and observations are welcome!
                      I'm awake. What I miis . Where to. Whats up. I'm in. need new rubber ...
                      sigpic

Comment

Gordo surfaces! Stay tuned for further developments... I assume Victoria has the scourge like everywhere else, and you are on home detention.

G

Comment

So far folks on the island have followed through with largely working form home or at least keeping distant from each other with <250 cases at this time.
                          But no one here is taking it lightly as that terrible pandemic bell curve is always just a slack ass attitude from blowing up in our faces as well.

I'm nearing the end of a 3 month steady work marathon and have plenty of banked & vacation time at the ready.

It would be really cool to check out the AMA Ridge road course near Shelton but I suspect most events around the northwest will be cancelled until late summer at least.

For me, ZZR travel to the Ridge road course near Shelton is typically only 4 hrs including the Black Ball ferry to Port Angeles.
                          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Black Ball Ferry Line has on notice that they will be suspending service from March 30 to April 30, 2020. Uncertain when that will go again.
                          No big deal as I can always get over to Vancouver and loop around.

Count me in to meet up (at a social distance) whether or not if the AMA schedule holds up.
                          I have to do some riding and can keep distant or clear as required.

Port Townsend is a funky old town I wouldn't mind staying in.
                          There's a a cool place to overnight at the Water Street Hotel, an old Victoria brick step back in time beast with all kinds of big old rooms you'd expect gun slingers & bar maids to have frequented. Rates are great. Just an idea.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by spedxprt View Post
                            I still plan to trailer and/or ride the northwest in June. I would love to ride Hwy 20 westwardly. I missed that a few years ago. Obviously, this is subject to change based on the spread of the coronavirus. Hopefully we will be on the lower backside of the curve or flattened back out.
                            Good luck and have fun! Really hoping the virus situation will be controlled soon.

Comment

Working...
                            X