Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent Trip to NC Mountains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMAyub2YUWY&t=90s

A vid from a recent trip to mountains with a local friend. We rode for 4 days and covered most of the good roads in the area including the Cherohala Skyway several times. There was also a new section of the Foothills Pwy that you should check out if you get the chance.

We stayed at an old motel that I have used many times in the past, but this was likely the last time due to a hefty rise in price with no improvements to the dated accommodations. Next time we will likely camp and save the $$ for good food.

Little late to your post .... but NC roads look amazing compared to what I see in Western Canada...... gotta ask though, what are you riding with a 17K redline? That's Moto GP stuff .
    Was feeling for you on that video , as I suspect you could have set a slightly faster pace than your bud. Have family in Raleigh, NC and Clarksville, TN .... have found it hard to find a bike rental shop in the region with any decent bikes...:(

Thanks for the video- belated ....
    Steve

Comment

Don't know about western Canada roads but the roads in the NC/GA/TN area that we ride are spectacular!

Clarksville is about 5 hours from motorcycle Mecca (Suches Georgia area) in that part of the U.S.

I'm guessing all that is available to rent are Harley Davidson's???

Mehush (Mike) is on a new R 6. Hence the 17K redline.

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Vid was taken on the tail of the dragon. First time I had ridden it in years. Like Mike said, so many good roads in the area, you can't go wrong.

The bike is indeed an R6. 2018 model. The thing felt very reluctant to turn in to corners. I struggled the whole trip to get a good feeling. Discovered when I got home that I had been riding with only 23 psi in the front tire. Check them pressures fellas.

Comment

I plan on getting up there this year. It's been too long since I've done the Dragon. The long awaited Foothills Prkwy.
          is indeed finished (took 'em long enough) That whole area up there is badass to me. If I don't get up there on the Zed
          I'll at least go in the cage, only because a group I go places with sometimes, doesn't ride. Those Smokey Mtns. as was said.
          are a great place to ride bikes. You just have to plan around the tourist trap areas (Gatlinburg/Pidgeon Forge, etc.) Those
          areas suck as traffic goes, not skooter friendly for that reason, but they are touristy for sure. Blueridge Prkwy. is always
          good to cruise up as far as you want to go.
          Last edited by CHARLIE; 02-06-2020, 05:35 PM.
          "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
          but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Originally posted by BIG O View Post
            Don't know about western Canada roads but the roads in the NC/GA/TN area that we ride are spectacular!

Clarksville is about 5 hours from motorcycle Mecca (Suches Georgia area) in that part of the U.S.

I'm guessing all that is available to rent are Harley Davidson's???

Mehush (Mike) is on a new R 6. Hence the 17K redline.

While the scenery is Ok around here, those crazy, endless, slow to 15 or 20 mph , Semi Tractor Trailer eating , curves all over that Smoky Mtn / Blue ridge area .... not just the Dragon ...really must be a treat to ride your arse off . Western Canadian highways have a lot of shoulder space , and even brush clearing on either side of our highways .... so you dont get that sensation of riding a roller coaster through the forest, like the roads in your area .... I can only Google ride the roads .... but the pavement looks great too

Yes , Harleys seemed to be the one choice, and then a small Ma & Pa place in Mini Swiss Alps ( or something like that ) .... with 1 sport bike , maybe a Harley or two and a trail bike . My one option is to buy one and leave it at one of those relatives ...til then I will eat my heart out , and enjoy your videos :)
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo555 View Post

While the scenery is Ok around here, those crazy, endless, slow to 15 or 20 mph , Semi Tractor Trailer eating , curves all over that Smoky Mtn / Blue ridge area .... not just the Dragon ...really must be a treat to ride your arse off . Western Canadian highways have a lot of shoulder space , and even brush clearing on either side of our highways .... so you dont get that sensation of riding a roller coaster through the forest, like the roads in your area .... I can only Google ride the roads .... but the pavement looks great too

Yes , Harleys seemed to be the one choice, and then a small Ma & Pa place in Mini Swiss Alps ( or something like that ) .... with 1 sport bike , maybe a Harley or two and a trail bike . My one option is to buy one and leave it at one of those relatives ...til then I will eat my heart out , and enjoy your videos :)
              Steve
              I usually get down to Georgia a couple of times a year. Typically once in the spring ( April/May) and once in the fall (September /October).

If you are really interested in coming down let me know. Maybe we can work the logistics out and you can come too.

I'd be more than happy to bring my ZX 14 down as well and you can ride it if you like.

There are MANY great roads in the area besides "The Dragon". To be honest, we typically just ride up there and have lunch and then go the opposite way. However, if you came down I'm sure we'd ride the Dragon at least once with you.

So, let me know
              I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Thanks for sharing!
                KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

One thing to remember about the Dragon, ride it on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. Atlanta and Knoxville seem to unload on
                  that area on the weekends and it can get like a circus. I am one of the few I know that like riding it on a moonlit night too.
                  I've done that a few times as well. Some will say that they wouldn't do it because of the deer. Hell, I live in a deer populated area
                  anyway, so we're always on the lookout for those guys. There was a deer cruising through the neighborhood last night, and I live
                  in a subdivision.
                  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
                  but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

The tail is a bucket list ride for me. A friend of mine did it last year during a ride from Montreal to Miami. He said there are great roads to ride all over that area. Its a 2 day ride from where I’m at. Definitely will try to make time for it once the Zed’s brakes are sorted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Where you located?

How many miles away from Blairsville, Georgia?

Comment

Montreal area about 1100 miles from where you’re at. 2 day ride approx. about the same to Deals gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Definitely a two day ride..

Comment

Originally posted by BIG O View Post

I usually get down to Georgia a couple of times a year. Typically once in the spring ( April/May) and once in the fall (September /October).

If you are really interested in coming down let me know. Maybe we can work the logistics out and you can come too.

I'd be more than happy to bring my ZX 14 down as well and you can ride it if you like.

There are MANY great roads in the area besides "The Dragon". To be honest, we typically just ride up there and have lunch and then go the opposite way. However, if you came down I'm sure we'd ride the Dragon at least once with you.

So, let me know
                            Hey there,
                            Sorry have not been on the site for a bit , but your offer is very tempting , and very generous ! Next question, can I make that happen . Let me know if your dates get solid for April/ May , and see if I can swing it . I have promised my wife a new bathroom this Spring before riding season starts is likely my one possible deal breaker, but I also have a trip to Toronto in mid April timeframe, which could make for a quick / cheap bucket check off.... will keep an eye out here !
                            Cheers
                            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo555 View Post

Hey there,
                              Sorry have not been on the site for a bit , but your offer is very tempting , and very generous ! Next question, can I make that happen . Let me know if your dates get solid for April/ May , and see if I can swing it . I have promised my wife a new bathroom this Spring before riding season starts is likely my one possible deal breaker, but I also have a trip to Toronto in mid April timeframe, which could make for a quick / cheap bucket check off.... will keep an eye out here !
                              Cheers
                              Steve
                              Hey Steve!

Sent you a PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X