A Modestly Insane Sport Tour Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Modestly Insane Sport Tour Idea

So a few days ago I joked that I would be loading my bike on my trailer to go visit Bill in Arizona this winter, in response to the ridiculously early-season snow we got last weekend. Since then I have been thinking about that concept a bit more, and extrapolating from there. Here is the deranged outcome of all that time spent pondering...

1. Next winter (2021 not 2020, the schedule this coming winter is already packed) my wife and I trailer the bike down to Arizona, do some riding in the warmth, and then leave the bike at Bill's (if he is willing) and drive home, visiting friends and my son in Utah on the way back.

2. I fly back down in late April/Early May, and commence the Great West Coast Sport Tour Ride (& Rally?) It goes like this:

Day 1: Fly into Phoenix on a Weds morning, meet up with Bill, load my luggage on my bike and ride (with Bill and Piken, maybe?) to the Riverside area to a motel.

Day 2: This is MAJOR FUN DAY 1- Ride the fabled Angeles Crest Highway from I-15 over to La Canada (twice?), and then ride across the San Fernando Valley to the Santa Monica Mountains. Lunch at the historic Rock Store hang-out, and then ride Mulholland Drive and other awesome roads, working our way north to a motel around Ventura. I learned to sport-ride on these canyons and they ROCK.

Day 3: This is MAJOR FUN DAY 2- Ride up the coast or through the mountains 120 to 130 miles (depending on weather) to San Luis Obispo, and then ride the Fabled PCH 140 miles up to Monterey. I assume every knows how fun and beautiful this road is. From Monterey I would ride up to my brother-in-law's in San Jose (70 miles). Maybe JMenon would meet me (us?) in SLO for the ride up to the Bay Area.

I might be inclined to call this the end of Phase I; perhaps I would leave my bike in SJO and fly home for a bit to tend to this and that. When I return, if I do break this ride in two, Phase II is like this:

Day 4: This is MAJOR FUN DAY 3- Ideally this is done on a Sunday morning, cause it starts as no fun, slabbing I-880 from SJO up past Oakland to the 580 bridge over to 101 in Marin County. But then the fun begins, riding out to the coast on the coolest road in the West, from Lake Sonoma to Stewart's Point. From there the fun continues up the PCH again all the way to where it meets 101 at Leggett. This maybe my most favorite day ride in the world. Get a motel near Legget after a 350 mile day.

Day 5: Yet another MAJOR FUN DAY (4)- From the Leggett area up to the Humboldt Redwoods State Forest, where there is a turn-off to a road that goes west out to an isolated place called the "Lost Coast". I have never been there but I have heard it is very beautiful and fun, if not crazy fun to ride. It loops back to 101 south of Eureka. From there, after lunch, I would head up 299 to Willow Creek and then North on 96, turning off at Happy Camp to ride a crazy-fun road into Oregon a bit south of Grant's Pass. (Bill, Gordon and I did this road last year) Motel at Grants Pass.

Day 6: This day could be done a couple of ways, with a goal of reaching John Day Oregon, where I attended my first ZZR Rally back in 2013. It would combine some slabbing with some scenic and winding roads, and maybe a visit to Crater Lake.

Day 7: For me, this is getting home day- but also a pretty darn fun day too. I would probably take 395 north from John Day (never been on that road, but I hear its pretty good) then the back roads from the Walla Walla area through the Palouse region to my home in Spokane.

So that is my Evil Plan. What inspired this? Well, it gets my bike home from Arizona. And it lets me revisit the southern Cal roads I spent so much time riding in the mid-1980's, plus ride the Angeles Crest, which I somehow never got to. I have not done the ride from Ventura County (former home) up to Monterey since 1987, and I want to do it again before I hang it up. (I will be 64 in 2021, so now is the time to do the things I want to do!) Note that my plan has us riding the So Cal mountains and Coast on week days to minimize traffic- and this trip is proposed for late April/early May, before the hordes of summer tourists descend on the PCH in their mini-vans and motor homes.

I just may do this, whether alone or with any of you that might want to join in for all or parts of it. There are few routes one could take that could provide as many truly fun days of riding one after the other!

Your comments, ideas and encouragement are welcome!

Greg

"The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

Why u asken just do it. Peace

Comment

Sounds like an epic ride I look forward to riding our AZ roads with you and hopefully other locals, like Piken. I also hope to join you for part of your ride home, depending upon the amount of time I can take off of work.
        My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
        http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

Tell me what time and I'll be there!
          Last edited by piken; 10-03-2019, 08:45 PM.
          Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

Originally posted by ZZ-r View Post
            Why u asken just do it. Peace
            I ain't asking, I am hoping to sucker some of you into riding along...

Comment

Maybe.
              KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

I'm in, except that I'll ride down to AZ and meet you there. Weather permitting

Comment

Okay, I have now planted the seed... No rush to think about this for a while, since we are talking about April/May of 2021. I will be bumping this thread every few months as things evolve.
                  (Gareth, I was thinking I could maybe haul your bike to AZ with mine, if you could get it down to Spokane.., something to think about...) (unless you can fit chains and snow tires on your bike...)
                  Last edited by gregness; 10-04-2019, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Sounds like an epic 2WEST21 rolling rally. Plenty of victims along the way to join you. I like the fact it is early enough to avoid watering/mowing season for me.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmymac View Post
                      Maybe.
                      Riding out or trailering?

Comment

Probably some of both. Wanna join?
                        KN, this ride's for You.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffS View Post
                          Sounds like an epic 2WEST21 rolling rally. Plenty of victims along the way to join you. I like the fact it is early enough to avoid watering/mowing season for me.
                          A high roller like you can just pay a gardener for that crap.
                          KN, this ride's for You.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmymac View Post

A high roller like you can just pay a gardener for that crap.
                            Watering 24/7 and mowing almost 4 acres would be a lot of high roller pesos

Comment

Working...
                            X