No announcement yet.

2West 2019 redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I managed to screw this post up. I timed out. Nothing to see here - just working on my post count.
    Last edited by NotDeadYet; 09-05-2019, 11:43 PM.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Greg: I don’t have the electrical gremlin sorted but if it acts up I am going to bypass the power commander to see if that sorts it out. Worse case it seems to go away if I shut the bike down for 15-20 minutes. It’s so intermittent it’s proving hard to diagnose.

As for being out for the season my surgery isn’t until Monday. I decided I would ride out with Gareth (yyczed) to Nelson, Castlegar area Friday. Then on Sat I will ride with him and his buddy Jim to meet Gordon (bctrout) for lunch in Osoyoos. Then when they head south into Wash I will start making my way home. I will finish my ride home on Sunday and be ready for the surgeon Monday morning. I figured there’s no sense in wasting time. Like I’ve said before - I can’t plan worth shit but I’m great at last minute decisions.

Have ZX14 will travel.
      Last edited by NotDeadYet; 09-07-2019, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Get up, get out off bed, drag a comb across your head. Reveille was at 04:30 to be certain for the 6 ferry. A fresh start to the morning, ZZR is loving it. Enjoying the on-board breakfast buffet. Should be landed on the mainland by 07:45. With 2 fuel stops, should be on schedule to be in Osoyoos by noonish.
        sigpic

Comment

2DAE49A7-E235-4061-B0C5-4D202CE85576.jpeg
          sigpic

Comment

Well that didn’t work exactly as planned! Gareth (yyczed) and I had planned to meet for breakfast an hour south of home at 8:am and ride out from there. I left home on schedule, a few minutes before 7am and rode uneventfully to our rendezvous point. I arrived right on time and my bike ran fine. Gareth sent me a text a few minutes later to say he was going to be a few minutes late. He’d been stopped coming in by the local police for looking too good.

While I waited for his arrival I drank coffee and visited with the waitress whom I’ve known for years. I was looking forward to checking out Gareth’s new H2.

Gareth arrived 20 minutes late with a performance award in his pocket. Apparently the officer clocked him on radar making what was in Gareth’s words, a reasonable pass. Although reasonable, he admitted he was over the posted limit and the officer felt the need to ticket him accordingly. I guess when you ride an H2 you don’t get warnings. The real kicker is the officer even made Gareth take a breathalyzer test at 08:00. Really!! Who does that?

After a nice breakfast and a general catch up we headed south for an hour then turned west. Accelerating westbound my electrical gremlins showed up again and my bike started to cut in and out intermittently for various short amounts of time. It only lasted a few minutes then it ran ok for another hour. Then the gremlins came back (the engine repeatedly cutting in and out), it got so bad at times I thought the bike was going to strand me. We rode on into some rain and my bike continued to run like shite.

As we rode into Cranbrook (about 4 hours from home) I decided to send Gareth on alone. I figured it was better to turn back 4 hours from home than to chase problems and chance total failure 10 hours away from home in Osoyoos, where we planned to meet Gordon (aka: bctrout) on Saturday for lunch.

Gareth consoled me then rode off while I tore the fairings off the bike to have another look at the power commander (one possible cause of the trouble) to see if I could bypass it to see if that might help get the bike home. I had no luck bypassing the PC, it didn’t appear to be a doable roadside repair, so I put the fairings back on and rode off homeward bound knowing in my heart the bike was not going to cooperate.

What should have taken me 4 hours to get home took me almost 7. I was in pouring rain and the bike would act up intermittently, sometimes worse than others. It would cut in and out periodically, sometimes threatening to leave me dead on the side of the road. It never did die completely but I did stop repeatedly to cycle the ignition, the kill switch, the side stand switch and even release the fuel cap to see if I could determine what was causing my problem. After each stop, including fuel stops the bike would run well for a short while then exhibit the same symptoms again and again.

I made it home around 21:30 about 141/2 hours after pulling out of my garage at 07:00. I’m no closer to knowing what’s wrong with my bike, just more frustrated than ever.

I'm having my wrist surgery Monday morning so the bike will sit for a while. I’m going to clean it and fuel it over the weekend then tuck it away in the garage. When I’m able I will get it into my mechanic. It is due for a valve adjustment and I guess while it’s there we will put it on the dyno and see if we can get it to replicate the symptoms in the shop. I still think it’s power commander or ECU.

When it cuts out it seems like electrical failure but it’s only engine management that fails. When it happens all electrical accessories like turn signals, emergency flashers, lights, clock, etc continue to work properly. If I shut the bike down it will restart immediately and run fine for various amounts of time (a few minutes to an hour or more) before it starts to act up again.

Im thankful it got me home but I’m not happy!!

To end on a positive note: i sure like that sexy H2-sx that Gareth is riding.

I know Gareth and Gordon will check in with details on the rest of their adventure as it unfolds. Stay safe and have fun guys.
            Last edited by NotDeadYet; 09-07-2019, 08:02 AM.

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the update NDY, sorry to hear that the gremlins are still after ya. Good luck with the wrist surgery and the future “surgery” on your bike.
                My surgery on my knuckles went well and PT is getting me back to riding again!

No more street podiums, Garreth! The po po think you are drinking the champagne instead of spraying it

Looking forward to some ride pics, BC!

Safe travels!
                My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
                http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

Dave... I was going to email you to pull the power commander before you left, but was not able to respond in time. Sounds like a pretty miserable day... Good luck with both the wrist and the bike!

And I think Gareth got a ticket for "DWS"... driving while supercharged. Some cops just hate Sport Bikes.

Good luck to Gareth and Gordo on their ride!

G
                  "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

Odometer Roll Over
                    (cheating Canuck style)
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bctrout View Post
                      Odometer Roll Over
                      (cheating Canuck style)
                      1/10 km away from a new bike!
                      My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
                      http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

A0EFBBA6-5A11-4656-9E73-A42E6C2D5B49.jpeg Had a great ride Saturday on Hwy 20 from Marblemount over the north cascades to Winthrop where Gareth I met up at the Old Schoolhouse Brewery to catch, enjoy a brew &a spot of grub.
                        Last edited by bctrout; 09-08-2019, 05:07 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

DE4FABBF-85DE-4782-8A33-48673404C4F9.jpeg While in Winthrop, a re-check of the forecast proved weather predictions are no better than a fart in a wind storm. What was supposed to be a great weekend showed torrential rain for Sunday. So we headed north back to B.C. to overnight in Oliver hoping the revised forecast would be a false alarm. This morning proved it was going to be a wet one. How they missed this Sunday shit storm on Friday is beyond this commoner’s comprehension.

sigpic

Comment

Both in rain gear we headed south sun am together for a bit before splitting east & westward on Hwy 3. I believe Gareth stopped to by a snorkel at some point. I was more fortunate for the 1st 1.5hrs with only a stretch of chip seal, thereafter pealing out of my rain gear in Princeton as I had dry roads & some fun on the twisties until the entrance to Manning Park. Stopped roadside to dawn rain-gear again as I could see I was about to enter torrential downpour. It was nuts for 2 hrs with gusting winds added in the Hope Canyon. Ran into the weekenders returning to Vancouver so I took a break roadside to peal off that crap out again. A few honks while watering the plants, I arrived at the ferry terminal by 15:10 to partial sun. Now sailing west into the golden donut knowing my friend is still into the thick of it growing gills.
                            7F8C14E8-CD64-42FD-9C82-E2C67492C43F.jpeg
                            sigpic

Comment

We’re both home now safe - sound?

Pulled off the ferry on the last leg & she wouldn’t turn. Rear was dead flat. I’d picked up a stone from the chip seal earlier in the day. Patch plug, hand pump to 15psi, rolled the wrong way back into the ferry terminal to their compressor room. All in all, not much of a delay but the running on low pressure just shredded a strip off the center line down to the cord. Fun times, I’d do it again & again anytime possible to meet with knuckleheads.
                              sigpic

Comment

Glad you guys were at least able to hook up for a little bit.

Bummer about the rain and flat tire

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Working...
                                X