No announcement yet.

A ride on a zed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Today I visited the awesome Pima Air & Space Museum outside Tucson. I'm a big airplane nerd and I was shocked how many unique aircraft they have. Highly recommended if you're at all into aviation. Best sign of a great facility: shaded motorcycle parking right by the door, and they'll hold your gear for you while you visit the museum."

Really cool! Gareth, kudos to you for keeping up a great attitude despite a string of weather disasters! I am impressed!

G
    "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

YC-14, DC-10, incredible Mustang pilot who shot down three or more Nazi and Imperial Japanese aircraft, plus a friendly (yes, on purpose to stop them landing at a Japanese base), Sud Aviation Caravelle (so elegant), Fairey Gannet, dove in a Shackelton engine, B36 Peacemaker (the long fuselage of the nuclear law)

Comment

Oh Canada! The very pretty Canadair CF-86 Sabre, business end of Phantom 1, tiny Learjet cabin, neat markings on HS Kestrel, feeling jumpy (that's a Harrier joke), Sky Knight, English Electric Lightning (one trick pony but what a trick!), Folland Gnat what the Red Arrows flew when I was a kid, the astonishing B58 Hustler,

Comment

It has been too many years since my last visit to the Pima Museum (my son was just a kid). I need to get back there and tour the bone yard to look for my old plane, 70-464, a retired C-5 Galaxy.
          My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
          http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

Oh, and nice pics Gareth! What a ride you are on! Looking forward to your visit and riding 191!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            My ol' ZZR1200 pics:

Comment

I’m glad to see you’ve found some sunshine and blue skies. I’ve never been to the aviation museum down there but I spent most of the day visiting the one at Ogden, Utah a few years ago. Very cool - thanks for sharing your adventures.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Only you could be having that much fun despite such miserable weather! I’m glad you finally shook away from it! Enjoy - that neck of the woods is astonishingly beautiful.
                "Why should I tremble at the plough of my Lord, that maketh deep furrows on my soul? I know He is no idle husbandman; He purposeth a crop." - Samuel Rutherford

Visit ConnorWatch on Facebook.

sigpic

Comment

Here are the pics from our 2X3Southwest rides during Gareth’s rolling rally. Gareth had trouble adjusting to the warmer temps and roads without snow or hail????. Good times riding with Piken and YYCZed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  My ol' ZZR1200 pics:

Comment

Gareth, was nice to meet you. Was a great ride on Saturday. The ZED has still got it! Hope you have a safe ride heading back north.

ride-051819.JPG

Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

YYCZed escaped from Arizona and is now snowmobiling his Zed in Utah He is stuck in Beaver, UT for the night since the Interstate (15) is closed due to the snow.
                      My ol' ZZR1200 pics:

Comment

Picking this up again, I left Tucson on Friday and rode up Mt Lemmon, a beautiful twisty one-way ride off the desert floor and up to 8,000ft above the city. The road was packed with bicyclists tearing their lungs out, and sportbikes railing the corners. And it's all corners. The views from the top are breathtaking, and I'm glad I took spedxprt's advice to hit that one.

Later that day I rolled into Mesa, and enjoyed a nice Mexican meal with spedxprt
                        . Spedxprt and his S.O. very kindly put me up for the weekend so I could ride and also catch up on some important event viewing.

Sped and I met up with Piken on the north side of Phoenix, and it was great meeting another forum inmate and good dude. Our ride was freakin awesome, and among the best I've done on this continent. The variety of scenery, topography, elevation changes, flora and fauna, and challenging roads was jaw-dropping. Thanks again guys, it was a helluva day out!

A running theme this weekend was my local guides not warning me about the intensity of the scenery at key points on 15mph switchbacks. The gaping at scenery was difficult to manage. Luckily, Miss Piggy can still dance a bit.

On Sunday, spedxprt and I took a short ride out to the Salt River Canyon, which is like a mini Grand Canyon with switchbacks running up and down both sides of the canyon. It was also spectacular.

I'm voting Arizona for 2West asap.

Comment

Rolling out of Mesa on Monday morning, I headed through Tonto State Forest for Sedona, via Payson and Cottonwood. As I got closer to Payson it got pretty cold, and I stopped for a nice heart-stopping breakfast.

A few miles out of Payson, the hail started and it got cold. I stopped off the road to put on my rainsuit, and enjoyed some asshole running his 3rd wheel camper rig so close to me that my zed blew off the stand, and I just managed to right it before it bit dirt. This prick had literally a mile of visibility on either side of me, on a completely empty road, to avoid me. Lesson learned: stop for gas when you see gas, and put on your rainsuit at the gas station.

The hail eventually turned into rain, and it got warmer. I figured all was good, when I rounded a corner just outside Cottonwood to find several inches of marble-sized hail covering the road. I nearly jumped off the bike in fright but stayed on and got pulled over. It was the weirdest thing on this trip, and I have seen some shit.

The sun came out and melted the road, so I continued on to Sedona.

Comment

I likely wouldn't have visited Sedona if not for the weather. The setting is beautiful but the town is pretty milquetoast tourist. However, it's at a lower altitude than most places around, and I had planned to sit out two days of fronts there. I rocked up to the most excellent Sedona Beer Company and settled in to watch the hail...and ten minutes of snow. A Canadian friend who'd been at the Overland Expo in Flagstaff joined me as I thoroughly explored the brewery's selection. When she and I went out to look for dinner, we discovered most places closed because Monday. We went back to the brewery for a burger and a nightcap. After getting back to my room, I had a text from spedxprt warning me that the weather had flipped, and Wednesday would be impassable in that area. I checked the forecast and saw a window out of Arizona this morning, with just a wind warning and then rain in Utah.

Comment

In the middle pic, the red rock is obscured by snow

Comment

This morning (Tuesday) I sat and chatted with my Calgary friend in nice warm sunshine over coffee. At around 8am I figured the ice had melted off the road to Flagstaff, and I lit out intending to ride through two 700 mile days of rain to get to hot sunny Calgary (for real, it's nice there now). Today should have been Pocatello, Idaho. However, the weather gods had other ideas...

Comment

Working...
                                X