• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lashing rain - that does sound ugly.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Originally posted by spedxprt View Post
      Where are you headed tomorrow? Are you planning to ride to Bisbee?
      I'm going to try 666 today and just turn back if it snows. It's warm and sunny here this morning, so I like my chances.

I have to end up at Willcox on Sunday, and stay they for Inde a couple days, so I'll go to Bisbee Wednesday morning

Comment

Welp, got snowed out on 666, and had to divert into New Mexico.

​​​​​​Ride report later...

Comment

Did you ride New Mexico 180, along the AZ/NM border? NM 180 south to NM 78 thru Mule Creek and on into AZ is a great ride, especially NM 78.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
          http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

Originally posted by spedxprt View Post
            Did you ride New Mexico 180, along the AZ/NM border? NM 180 south to NM 78 thru Mule Creek and on into AZ is a great ride, especially NM 78.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Yep! 180 was a really nice ride, and 78 was incredible

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Comment

Gas station cave at Hanksville, UT

Utah 95 scenes

Gas station/bowling alley/A&W in Blanding, UT

Springerville, AZ cineplex

Hail on the 191 outside Alpine, AZ

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for taking us along on your Happy Birthday ride. It sounds like you’re making the best out of a real mixed bag of weather. That last shot of slush covered roads brings back some memories. Stay safe out there. Hopefully the weatherman will cooperate for the rest of your trip.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Sorry about the 191 hail/snow, looking forward to hitting it next weekend with you! Good to hear that you rode 180 & 78. That is part of a loop that we usually ride when doing the Devil’s Highway ol’ 666, now 191. Did you watch the movie in the theatre? It is super small inside, old school. My kids liked it when we stayed in Springerville once during a trip to the White Mountains. Nice pics! You are in some contrasting country! Enjoy Inde and the Yamaha Riders School. I am very jealuos and plan to attend the school some time within the next year. The weather is clearing in Arizona, so now brace for the heat while in the desert areas. Wilcox and Bisbee are little higher elevation so they will not be as hot as the Tucson and Phoenix areas. Ride safe!
                  My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
                  http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

Originally posted by YYCZED View Post
                    Gas station cave at Hanksville, UT

Utah 95 scenes

Gas station/bowling alley/A&W in Blanding, UT

Been to that gas station in Hanksville, and that A&W in Blanding too!!

I wish you were having better weather.

Sorry to be late to this party - following with great interest!

Ride safe, Gareth

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
                    ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Comment

Holy shit. You had me jealous until that slush snow shit. I don't do that stuff on a skoot.
                      You are a devoted individual there. But, hell I'm still jealous, I got to ride none this week.
                      Damn thunderstorms the past few days. That stuff doesn't get it either, Careful and have
                      an enjoyable rest of your ride.
                      "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
                      but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Blanding... that is a swinging town!
                        "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

I think 70s-style swinging might be the only form of local entertainment in Blanding ​​​​​​

Just got to Bisbee, AZ. More tomorrow...

Comment

Holy cow you could have stayed home for that kind of weather. I hope things clear and you get some cooperation.....

Comment

Here's the hail story: started south on 191 out of Alpine, AZ towards Hannigan's Meadow. Got 30km into it when the zed got carb ice and started to bog. Then the snow started to stick on the road, so I turned back. 9km from Alpine I found the hail in the picture above. It only took about 15 minutes to completely cover everything several inches deep in hail. I had to keep going to get to a spot I could stop where a hunter wouldn't run me over. I waited a while, then walked up the road and found a BMW GS rider from Seattle. He'd gone down at walking speed and some passersby helped him get his fortunately undamaged bike off the road. We chatted a while and waited for it to melt. I considered camping by the road but eventually it started raining and we were able to ride out in vehicle tracks.

Yesterday was all Bisbee Arizona and no riding. It's properly hot here now, thankfully.

Today I visited the awesome Pima Air & Space Museum outside Tucson. I'm a big airplane nerd and I was shocked how many unique aircraft they have. Highly recommended if you're at all into aviation. Best sign of a great facility: shaded motorcycle parking right by the door, and they'll hold your gear for you while you visit the museum.

Comment

Some Bisbee scenes, and delicious michelada and carne asada-stuffed quesadillas. Bisbee has fascinating mining history and lots of eccentric folk

Comment

Working...
                                X