A ride on a zed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A ride on a zed

I'm on my to Arizona to get warm and become a 50-something. Here's my ride report:

Day 1: worked most of a day, then rode to Choteau, Montana in rain, wind, and a bit of snow. Right now I'm enjoying my first holiday beer with some locals who are already legless at 6pm. Guess there isn't much to do here in the evening

Tomorrow's plan is a lot of miles and end up somewhere in Utah
    ​​

Ride safe! See ya in AZ!
    My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
    http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

Not yet in season?
      huck pie.jpg
      Big sky motel.jpg
      Have a fantastic trip!

Comment

Haha, I definitely thought about hitting that place again!

Comment

Another fine 2West establishment!
          My ol' ZZR1200 pics:

Comment

Day 2: Choteau MT to Coalville UT.

No idea how many miles that is, but there sure was a lot of rain, snow, hail, and sleet to help pass the time. Departed Choteau at 8:30am and checked in here around 6:30pm. I meant to stop in Ogden but every hotel for miles around was booked up for some kind of festival where that area gets 400,000 visitors.

Haven't picked a route yet for tomorrow, but the goal will be less weather drama and a lot less traffic

Comment

if you had a coffee beside that pie I'd call you agent cooper!

Comment

Not sure about your time frame to AZ but it would be worth it if you could hit up Utah Hwy 12!
                My ol' ZZR1200 pics:

Comment

I considered it but the weather is sketchy down there, all the way into the Grand Canyon area. Going to hit Utah 95 on my way to Blanding instead , then come down the east side of AZ

Comment

Day 3: Blanding is a dry town. I'm gonna just sit here a while and contemplate my tactical error

​​Today was awesome: snow, then a lot of snow, then 30 minutes of comfortable, and then a full-on blizzard going over a 9100ft pass. Having survived that, I experienced actual warmth and sunshine from 3:30pm to 4pm, when the rain suit went back on.

Highly recommend Utah 95 from Hanksville to Blanding - it's a beautiful route with tons of sweepers through nice red canyons
                    ​​​​

Comment

Sounds like you need to have a talk with the weatherman. I hope you ride into sunshine and blue skies soon. It’s supposed to be sunny and 23C (78F) here Saturday - I know you don’t need to hear that.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Got to agree with Dave- the Weather Gods have not smiled upon you this trip! Normally I would say it would be fine to do a ride in Montana in May...

Here in the Puget Sound area we have had a weirdly dry and warm past month. 87 today, and no rain forecasted until maybe next week. Could be a bad drought year if this trend continues.

G
                        "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

Day 4: lashing rain all day, zero sightseeing.

I've washed up in Springerville, AZ with nothing to do but drink beer and eat bbq. Life sucks

I came this way to hit AZ666, the Devil's Highway. However, I spoke with some Canadian Harley riders this morning who had come from that way, and their eyes were like saucers when they described 9300ft snowstorm with sheer dropoffs and no guardrails. That was an hour of my day in Utah yesterday, and I'm not eager to repeat. If this current shit doesn't let up I'll need a new plan.

However, I'm not complaining: I'm riding a Zed through an incredible place. And if the old girl doesn't put a grin on your face, you probably don't really like motorcycles
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

Comment

Where are you headed tomorrow? Are you planning to ride to Bisbee?
                              My ol' ZZR1200 pics:

Comment

Working...
                              X