• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YYCZED View Post

Inde Motorsports Ranch, Willcox AZ
    ...an awesome track
    My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
    http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

I am open to many ideas. I have missed the past few years. I would love to have you all here in central Coast of california + Tahoe areas. We could make it a rolling rally start on the central coast in San Luis Obispo County . I am from SLO. I have ridden a lot of roads on the west coast. and its hard to beat SLO county. We can get cool areas near the coast.. in the afternoons. Start out in the inland areas early. Very scenic.. many areas with low to no LEO issues. great roads. Not to mention amazing wine Hwy 25, 198,58, parkfield area and more. Then we could head up the coast to a 2nd rally point in the north lake tahoe area.. where i live now. My mom has a beach house in Avila beach I could probably put up about 6-10 people there. Its a little more $ than some of the motels we have used in the past rides. We could find some Air B nB in SLO area. My house in tahoe can sleep 15 if need be. We could of course add in some other locations. I am open.. I do not trust myself anywhere in Canada,the laws are too strict around speeding... also have a dual bike trailer, we could even get a larger enclosed trailer.. and have a support vehicle.. I would really need it if I bring the H2... with its E85 tune...Its going to need a drink of E85 every 100 miles at best.

Comment

So - in the time since I began this thread, I’ve begun a course of study toward a second career. That course is projected to cost me between $10-15K between now and this Fall. While I’m excited about the possibilities, it means I’m out for a 2West ride this year. I might be able to manage a day or two if someone is going to or from, but I’m going to have to forgo a longer ride this season. Bummer in the short term...
        "Why should I tremble at the plough of my Lord, that maketh deep furrows on my soul? I know He is no idle husbandman; He purposeth a crop." - Samuel Rutherford

Visit ConnorWatch on Facebook.

sigpic

Comment

Tex - Inquiring minds would like to know what are you considering for your second career path?

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Originally posted by NotDeadYet View Post
            Tex - Inquiring minds would like to know what are you considering for your second career path?
            Dave, I’ve got an opportunity to fly right seat in Caravans for Empire Air if I can get my instrument and commercial ratings PDQ. It would be a good fit for me and my family if I can make it happen, so I started working towards it and hemorrhaging money (instrument ground school) last week.
            "Why should I tremble at the plough of my Lord, that maketh deep furrows on my soul? I know He is no idle husbandman; He purposeth a crop." - Samuel Rutherford

sigpic

Comment

Tex, that sounds like a fun second career!

Maybe we can meet up for borscht this summer

Comment

Very cool Tex. Best of luck with your flight training. Remember to keep yourself healthy. I lost my license when my blood pressure got too high to pass my physical. I refuse to take meds for it. Everything about me including all other health and lifestyle factors make me low risk for heart and stroke disease. I know my b/p is not where the doctors or I would like it to be but I figure at 65 years old not much is. I hadn’t flown enough in the past few years for it to make a big difference in my life. I do miss it though.

I still get up on a pretty regular basis with a few of my pilot buddies. I was recently on a joy ride in a Lear 35. That was cool. I have a buddy who works in technical support with WestJet on their 767 simulator. He gives me a heads up on slow nights and I am lucky to have spent a few hours late at night playing with the most virtually real and really expensive video game out there. I can take take off and land and follow headings quite well. As soon as he throws emergency simulations at me I crash though.

Comment

Uh, Dave, please pick me up on your way to the airport next time you're going for joyride in a Learjet!

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                    So - in the time since I began this thread, I’ve begun a course of study toward a second career. That course is projected to cost me between $10-15K between now and this Fall. While I’m excited about the possibilities, it means I’m out for a 2West ride this year. I might be able to manage a day or two if someone is going to or from, but I’m going to have to forgo a longer ride this season. Bummer in the short term...
                    Love the 208, sounds like a new challenge for you. My former Chief pilot went to heavies for about 3 years but now is beginning to talk about actually retiring. He is tired of the commute to the hub then a week or two on the road every month

Comment

Dave, I’ll go fly the sim with you! Sounds like a hoot!

Gareth, let’s talk more when riding season gets closer, but “yes”, borscht is on the menu!

Jeff, the cool part of this (potential) Empire gig is that they hub out of Spokane. You fly 3-4 days a week and are on call 1-2. You depart around 0600 and fly out to somewhere like Yakima, park the plane so they can unload and reload it, and go hang out at the company hotel until about 1500. Then you fly back to Spokane and you’re home in time for dinner. It’s a perfect gig for my family, and since it’s Part 135 I don’t have to quit at 65. ????

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                        Dave, I’ll go fly the sim with you! Sounds like a hoot!

Gareth, let’s talk more when riding season gets closer, but “yes”, borscht is on the menu!

Jeff, the cool part of this (potential) Empire gig is that they hub out of Spokane. You fly 3-4 days a week and are on call 1-2. You depart around 0600 and fly out to somewhere like Yakima, park the plane so they can unload and reload it, and go hang out at the company hotel until about 1500. Then you fly back to Spokane and you’re home in time for dinner. It’s a perfect gig for my family, and since it’s Part 135 I don’t have to quit at 65. ????
                        It sounds like a cool post retirement / second career gig. The 3 or 4 day work week is perfect for a second career lifestyle. It sounds like a lot more fun than many of the alternatives out there.

Challenging yourself and keeping busy is important. Good for you for finding and identifying a unique opportunity that seems like a great fit.

Comment

Good luck Tex with obtaining your commercial ratings. Flying for Empire sounds like the perfect gig for you and your family You will be missed.
                          My ol' ZZR1200 pics:

Comment

I would also be down for the SLO area of Cali
                            My ol' ZZR1200 pics:

Comment

Tex, good luck with your plan! I like it- I plan to down-shift my career to half time or so in another couple of years. FYI we put an offer in on a house in Spokane, and it got accepted. Won't be able to complete the move over there until July but we are committed now!

G
                              "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

Bump for Feb

Comment

Working...
                                X