This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2West2019 Musings

Is it too early to start dreaming about 2West2019? Tonight I was gazing at Toothless as he sits, all winterized and lonely, in my frigid garage, and I started thinking about 2West for next year. And as I pondered, I got to thinking about riding Banff. I have no idea what kind of roads there are up there in the Great White North, but I know someone who does!

Gareth, this is where you chime in.

Anyone else want to start dreaming about where we should ride next summer?

Any moderators want to make this thread quasi-sticky?

Any of you knuckleheads want to tell me there’s already a thread for this and I just missed it?
    "Why should I tremble at the plough of my Lord, that maketh deep furrows on my soul? I know He is no idle husbandman; He purposeth a crop." - Samuel Rutherford

Visit ConnorWatch on Facebook.

sigpic

Comment

It is never too early to start talking about our next 2West adventure. In fact, I am surprised that it has taken this long since 2West18 to start “planning” 2West19

The Icefield Parkway from Banff to Jasper and beyond is very scenic. That road, along with some more curvy motorcycle roads in that area could be an awesome road trip.

What say you our Canadian bretheren from Canadia?
      My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
      http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

Tex, I would be thrilled to see you idiots up here for a change. However, the Alberta Rockies are almost 100% scenery and almost 100% no-fun zones. All the really spectacular roads run through national parks, which means rangers behind every shrub, waiting to give tickets to bikes going 5km/h over the limit. If we all had cruise-control it would be a great plan However, what if we did some Montana fun rides and then pop up here for a sedate sightseeing tour?

Dave, if you know anything different, please pipe up!

However, I already got sick of not riding and dealt with it by booking a 2day riding course in Arizona in mid-May. My plan is to slab straight down there for the school, then go run around AZ afterwards and visit Bill and see stuff like Pima air museum. A friend also suggested we ride down to San Felipe, Baja; but now I'm thinking I might try to go all the way to Cabo if the hurricane damage to the highway gets fixed. Anyone interested in part of that route for 2West? I'm probably taking the second half of May and first few weeks of June off because I'm turning 50 and I need to go ponder that shock for a bit...and ride my damn Zed

Comment

As Gareth already noted, the Banff - Jasper Parkway is spectacularly beautiful but it’s not technically a very good riding road. If we want good riding we generally head to BC or Montana or further afield. We live in a beautiful part of the world but we got cheated out of the best riding roads. If you guys want to sight see I’m happy to be a tour guide.

We could set up a Two Flags Rally (Canada / USA) starting in the Pacific Northwest or Western Canada then crossing up into BC and working across to Jasper / Banff area then heading back south across the border. That would require a rolling rally but it would make for some great riding roads and great scenery. You need to keep in mind that June is generally wet up here and July - August are tourist season.

Happy 50th Gareth, it sounds like you’ve got a great celebration planned.
          Last edited by NotDeadYet; 11-22-2018, 11:19 PM.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Done Tex its stuck. My .02 is plan it and I will try to go. Im excited also I just love this group and the fun that happens. Call me crazy but the ride is secondary, it always happens but you guys are like a real version of its a mad, mad, mad, mad world...

Comment

I’ll have to do some more dreaming. It would be cool to ride far north, even if the roads aren’t “motorcycle roads”. Still, you gotta remember the twisties...
              "Why should I tremble at the plough of my Lord, that maketh deep furrows on my soul? I know He is no idle husbandman; He purposeth a crop." - Samuel Rutherford

Visit ConnorWatch on Facebook.

sigpic

Comment

I rode the Icefield Parkway in 2005 with my son on the back of my Connie 1000 and my brother on his Connie. (Beautiful and continuous views of lakes, rivers, and ranges!)

We started together in Flagstaff, AZ and rode thru Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, crossed into Canada north of Kalispell, and met up with Silky, Gene and others on their way to Dave Owen’s Northern Exposure ‘05. We overnighted in Golden, BC.

Randy, Zach, and I split from that group to ride the Icefield parkway from Banff, to Jasper, and on to Prince George to meet up with the NE 2005 group. With that group we rode to Hyder, Alaska and overnighted there. Then on to Prince Rupert and ferried down to Vancouver Island to Victoria to overnight during a huge anniversary celebration of BC.

The next day, we ferried to Port Angeles and rode to Centralia, Washington for the COG National Rally. We met Tex and Cherie there and spent a few days at the rally before heading home through Oregon, Idaho, and Utah.

It was an epic ride that Randy, Zach, and I seem to always talk about and share stories from our adventure, good times!
                My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
                http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

Hi Everybody!

I have been absent from the site for a while, but I was sure happy to look in today and find this thread!

Next summer we are planning on making our move to the Spokane area, so that may complicate things, depending on the dates selected and our luck in the home buying/selling/moving lottery.
                  But I am always up for new scenery and twisty roads! I will try to participate in whatever madness the group puts together.

G
                  "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

And I am glad to see most of the usual suspects chiming in! Just need to round up Sacowan and BC Trout...
                    "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

December bump

Comment

Originally posted by gregness View Post
                        And I am glad to see most of the usual suspects chiming in! Just need to round up Sacowan and BC Trout...
                        We've been promoted to usual suspects!!

Mrs and I were in Banff to BC a couple years ago. Exceptional scenery. The speed limits are strange, they don't match my speedometer. I would be game to visit again.
                        CONNORWATCH.ORG

Ain't no right way to do the wrong thing.

Comment

Working...
                        X