No announcement yet.

3West 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So close in every way, you're all r killing me. I'm pretty much tapped out for mc tripping expenditures this year but really would like to join for at least a portion. Post up any rough date range plans for WA. Its within a days ride from my pad in Canadia. Let us know. I'd love to jump in for a bit.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bctrout View Post
      So close in every way, you're all r killing me. I'm pretty much tapped out for mc tripping expenditures this year but really would like to join for at least a portion. Post up any rough date range plans for WA. Its within a days ride from my pad in Canadia. Let us know. I'd love to jump in for a bit.
      BC - I think we will be staying in Forks WA the night of Aug 3, heading to Port Townshend WA with a stop to see stuff in Olympic NP on the way. Midday we will take the ferry across the sound and head for North Cascade NP for our next overnight stop. Aug 4 we will head for Mt Rainier. At least, that's my view 3 weeks out. It'd be great to meet you Gordon!

Understand this is a vacation and these guys, while they like to ride fast and enjoy curvy roads, also like to stop and see stuff ;)

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
      ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Comment

A life-long Washingtonian comments...

Prepare for traffic from Port Angeles to the North Cascades- roads are the same as they have been for decades and population is WAY up in this part of the world.
        As far as routes go, I would take 20 through the Cascades to Twisp (Winthrop-Twisp would be a good overnight area) , then head south to where the road meets US 97 at Brewster. Then south on 97 to Wenatchee, then up Hiway 2 to take 97 down to Ellensburg. This route keeps you higher and cooler in the mountains, with twistier roads. From Ellensburg you can ride down to Yakima (it will be hot there)- if you take the Yakima River Canyon Road instead of the freeway (I-82) it will be way more fun.

At Yakima you can turn east on Hiway 12, and where 12 turns south you can instead go straight up Hiway 410 right up to Mt. Rainier. Near the top of the pass you can turn south on 23, and then enter the park to sight-see. You can go west through the Park to the little town of Elbe, and then south on 7 to meet Highway 12 at Morton. There are a couple of motels there, and it is a good launching point to ride up to St. Helens the next day. If you go east on 12 from Morton about 30 miles you will find the little town of Randle. There is an access point to the mountain on the road that goes south from there, but it is not as nice (or crowded) as the entrance from Interstate 5. I did the road that goes past the east side of the mountain down to the Columbia Gorge at Carson last year, and there were stretches there that were epic riding roads. Also so some stretches of pretty bad pavement, be warned.

From Carson you can avoid the Portland-Metro mess by going east up the Gorge to White Salmon, and cross the river to Oregon and Hood River. I would then ride Highway 35 up to Mt. Hood, where it meets 26, and take 26 down to Redmond. From Redmond you can go west across the Cascades towards Jeff's, using 126 and the cut-off road 242 (Excellent riding road and views, we just did this at the 2 West event) 242 then rejoins 126 and will take you all the way across the Valley (and through Eugene) to Jeff's if you stay on it.

I don't think you can really access the redwoods and back from Jeff's and do it in one day. We rode from Jeff's to Eureka CA on excellent roads and it was 410 miles. (the freeway route was nearly 300). You could do the awesome road we did to the Klammath river valley, and turn east instead of west at Happy Camp, and end the day near Yreka CA or Medford Oregon if you wanted to head back north and east rather than returning to Jeff's.

Look at the maps of these areas and shoot me your questions...

G
        "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

Some of what I know about northwest WA.
          Green circles are the most scenic portions of Hwy 101.
          The Green V around the south shore of Lake Crescent on Hwy 101 is the only slightly technical portion so if you find yourself stuck behind a cager stop and wait for a gap in traffic as long as possible to be able to take full advantage - otherwise you will get steamed while plodding behind.
          The blue circled blue road to Neah Bay is apparently the best riding however it can be damp - I feel ashamed I myself haven't done it yet!
          Forks is nothing special however LaPush just west and on the coast is very classic northwest ocean surf and sceanery.
          Avoid Hwy 2 (red x) - is a Loe magnet - like fly paper- mc riders get stuck all the time.
          My favorite ride is Hwy 20 (purple circle) from Concrete east towards Winthrop.
          I highly recommend staying in Winthrop at the Reo Vista. Looks over the confluence of two nice flowing trout rivers that als has greyling. Great food & entertainment Frid & Sat. Very biker friendly town. Don't fall in the canal as Gareth did but close every bar.
          Riding east of Winthrop towards Seattle stay above the Columbia - so many good roads. Can't go wrong with Hwy 20 but lots of playground fun to choose from.
          The main Hwys in WA & OR are well patrolled so pick your spots and look for lesser traveled roads as much as possible.
          My home is the red star.
          sigpic

Comment

Greg - I plotted your routes in mapquest and it looks great. It overlaps some of my route in 2005 but the other roads also look really good. The SW Oregon portion - I've had my eye on 242 and JeffS recommended it as well. If we can stay in Mapleton and head to Crater Lake the next day, we would do a little slab to get to Yreka and the roll to Redwood that afternoon. Next day after prowling Redwood a little we'd head for Oregon Duners, then Jeff's place again. I appreciate all the road numbers and input.

Gordon - thanks for that map. My brother got married in Victoria BC in 2003 and we had been there in 1995 as well - you are lucky to live there. Our Day 2 will take us from Forks to Port Townshend, then the ferry to the east side and we will definitely take to Northern route to Twisp/Winthrop. Thanks for the tips on lodging. If you want to meet us, Forks before we leave that a.m. would be easiest, or at the Port Townshend ferry midday.

I'm excited - I have new tires and brake pads on the way. Lots to do.

Sorry we will miss you, Greg.

~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

Comment

Sorry I can't join you!
              "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

Me too

Comment

How goes the route and day planning? Any assistance needed? If you don't want to post an itinerary or help needs here, send it over PM to me.

Comment

WA site seeing & beer/good food consider:
                    a.) Hobuck Beach (Makah Passage) at the end of the Neah Bay run;
                    b.) Hurricane Ridge; and
                    c.) H20 Waterfront Bistro 222 N Lincoln St, Port Angeles.

Ferry crossing is 35 min. from Port Townsend to Coupeville.

Ride from Coopeville to Winthrop is 4.5 hr + an hour for site seeing as you go through Ross Lake Nat Rec Area.

Watch for deer crossing to water from 16:30 onward as you drop down towards Winthrop.

Watch for wild Turkey east of Winthrop.

Mrs. Trout & I may do a run to Winthrop and catch you somewhere along the way depending on your timing.

For Northwest
                    Last edited by bctrout; 07-16-2018, 01:39 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Beautiful!
                      I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyTrain View Post

Gordon - thanks for that map. My brother got married in Victoria BC in 2003 and we had been there in 1995 as well - you are lucky to live there. Our Day 2 will take us from Forks to Port Townshend, then the ferry to the east side and we will definitely take to Northern route to Twisp/Winthrop. Thanks for the tips on lodging. If you want to meet us, Forks before we leave that a.m. would be easiest, or at the Port Townshend ferry midday.
                        Gordon, BretB - correction to the above - our fist night's stay (Fri night, Aug 3rd) will be in Sol Duc Hot Springs WA.

~Eumenes of Cardia

Comment

Originally posted by bretb View Post
                          How goes the route and day planning? Any assistance needed? If you don't want to post an itinerary or help needs here, send it over PM to me.
                          BretB - Fri night (8/3) in Sol Duc Hot Springs, Night 2 in Winthrop or Twisp (subject to change). Come join us for a beer and bench racing :)

~Eumenes of Cardia

Comment

Tried but no luck getting accommodation at Sol Duc Hot Springs - darn ????

There is availability at the Rio Vista in Winthrop however it’s a 2 night minimum which kinda screws up movin on down the Hwy - fudge.
                            sigpic

Comment

Truth be told, we stayed in a hotel called the Roadway Inn in Omak. Run down dumpy hotel, nothing good to say about the place except cost, it was $65 total for the night. No minimum stay, parked the bike in front of the room, there was a pool albeit small. Can't recall the name of the restaurant we ate at that night, but it was fantastic, who'd have thought in the middle of no where. If I can recall the name of the place, I'll edit this post. Now, what does all the above mean. Well, pretty straight forward, it is a very cheap place, but a bit more travel than Twisp. It positions you to continue on Hwy 20, or shoot over the Colville Indian Reservation on Hwy 155 and then down to Cooley City. Great ride to get to the dam, and even better when you head south along Banks Lake. You cold also double back and go down through the Methow Valley toward Chelan, but could be a shite show with summer traffic.

Comment

Getting this party started ...

~Eumenes of Cardia

Comment

Working...
                                X