End of The 600 Super Sport Era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of The 600 Super Sport Era

Today I took the time to watch the last ever World Super Sport 600 cc motorcycle race. As has been the case for the past few years, Yamahas ruled the day, though MV got their first podium on their 675 triple in a long time- too bad it will be their last.

I remember pretty clearly when the 600 class exploded into popularity. The 1985 Ninja 600 was a mega-hit, and was quickly followed by Honda's amazing CBR 600. Suzuki and Yamaha soon followed with their own 600's. 600 Sport Bikes were huge for the following 20 years, but they began to really lose steam in the past fifteen years or so... and now they are basically gone, following the 750 four cylinder into oblivion.

Next year, when WSS will feature 955 Ducati's competing against 765 Triumphs and Yamaha R6's (I think) and possibly some other makes, is going to be VERY interesting. The "performance balancing" that will be applied to make them "fair" competitors will be quite challenging, I suspect. The Yamaha squad (the biggest losers in this change) are predicting disaster, with Ducati domination expected.

Too bad the 750's are gone too. We could have 750 fours vs. 955 Ducati twins... sound familiar?
    "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

I was really surprised to hear that the 600cc bikes were going to be discontinued. Is it an emission thing?

Comment

Originally posted by mehush View Post
      I was really surprised to hear that the 600cc bikes were going to be discontinued. Is it an emission thing?
      More of a fall-off in demand, with the cost of making them new Euro-emissions compliant not helping. Seems few of today's young riders want narrowly focused hyper-sports bikes that cost a lot of money to buy and insure...
      "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

It is more difficult to make a high revving engine comply with Euro 5 than say a triple. Something to do with the high valve overlap needed at 15,000 rpm. That's why you'll see variable valve timing on sports bike engines.

Yamaha are still making the R6 but for track use only.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
        99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Working...
        X