Marc Marquez - out for good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marc Marquez - out for good?

Marquez crashed a dirtbike the other weekend, and his team issued the usual statement about taking a 'wee knock and just needs some rest'.

Well, now it's apparent he's done some serious damage because he's out for the season and being examined for vision problems. If you think of how many crashes he's had lifetime, he's up with NHL hockey players and NFL football players in terms of concussions and lesser brain injuries. Chris Pronger and Sidney Crosby, to name just two of the more famous athletes with this history, both ended up in brain injury hell of fog brain and headaches and erratic behaviour. The more extreme cases end in CTE and a horrific early death.

Dorna's concussion protocols have been as lax and arbitrary as all the other major sports leagues, and for sure Marquez will have ridden many races when he should have been lying in a dark room recuperating. With the way all his injuries have been mismanaged, his career is going to go down as perhaps the greatest waste of talent in sporting history. I understand that a lot of the problem is the psychotic desire to win that these guys have (Kevin Schwantz, anyone?), but the team manager makes the call about riding or not, not the rider.

I'm pissed we're being deprived of one of the absolute greats, and genuinely concerned about what the future holds for this incredibly talented and tough young man.

The vision problem is a recurrence of the eye injury he had 10 years ago. That almost finished his career before it started.

Here is the statement from Honda.
    The Repsol Honda Team rider will not participate in the Valencia Grand Prix this coming weekend, nor in the IRTA Jerez Test scheduled for November 18 and 19.
    After Marc Marquez underwent a medical examination at the Dexeus Clinic in Barcelona last Tuesday, in which he was evaluated after a fall while practicing off-road, the rider has been resting all week at his home in Cervera.
    During these days of rest, Marc has continued to feel unwell and has suffered from vision problems, which is why this Monday he was visited by the ophthalmologist Dr. Sánchez Dalmau at the Hospital Clínic de Barcelona, who examined him and performed the tests, which detected a new episode of diplopia.
    Doctor Sánchez Dalmau, Ophthalmologist:
    “The examination carried out on Marc Marquez today after the accident that occurred has confirmed that the rider has diplopia and has revealed a paralysis of the fourth right nerve with involvement of the right superior oblique muscle. A conservative treatment with periodic updates has been chosen to follow with the clinical evolution. This fourth right nerve is the one that was already injured in 2011.”

I do hope he will be OK. This would be a shit way for it to finish after all the problems of the last 2 seasons.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
    99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Diplopia is caused by blows to the head. My brother suffered a severe closed head injury from getting smashed on his motorcycle by a drunk driver, and in addition to partial paralysis and memory loss, he has permanent diplopia. I hope Marquez recovers completely and still quits riding just so he can have as normal a life as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by YYCZED View Post
        Diplopia is caused by blows to the head. My brother suffered a severe closed head injury from getting smashed on his motorcycle by a drunk driver, and in addition to partial paralysis and memory loss, he has permanent diplopia. I hope Marquez recovers completely and still quits riding just so he can have as normal a life as possible.
        Well this is really sad. Much as I hate the idea of never seeing his spectacular style and magnificent saves again, I have to agree he should hang it up while he can still hopefully enjoy life, if there is a risk that another blow could cause such a disaster.
        "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

An update, if that is the word for it. I don't know the details of his 2011 crash, but it sounds like there was damage to one of the nerves from his eye.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mot...s/6773340/amp/

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
          99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Working...
          X