Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of the Last Real Sports

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...nize-it-today/

The Superbike and Supersport races this weekend provided some truly exciting (and scary) moments, though perhaps not to the degree the past few MotoGP races have. I came across the attached article and thought that perhaps if he were writing in 2020 Hemingway would change his famous quote to "motorcycle road racing" instead of "motor racing" being one of the few "true sports, the rest are merely games".

Obviously, I have a unique perspective, but I still do not understand why this amazing sport, in which a great rider can still make up for a weak machine or set-up, and features such thrilling (and dangerous) battles, is so widely ignored by Americans. As Yates noted in the above article (15 years ago now) automobile racing has lost much of its thrill factor, along with the priceless possibility of a new guy showing up with non-factory racing team equipment and blowing the established superstars into the weeds. Despite traction control, anti-wheelie, anti-lock and other gizmo's that have appeared in motorcycle racing, guys like Marquez (I know he's a factory rider, but would he not win on a satellite team bike?), Quatararo, Binder and Rinaldi keep showing up and making the seemingly impossible happen. All while dancing on the razor's edge. When he retired from motorcycle racing and switched to cars (briefly) Kenny Roberts said he retired in part because on bikes, "when you crash you always get hurt". But the racers hang it all out anyway. We are lucky to be able to watch them do it.
    Last edited by gregness; 09-08-2020, 03:49 PM.
    "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

They are elite level athletes and have unbelievable command and control of the very wild machines they ride that’s for sure. Motorcycle racers are a different breed. The Isle of Man TT racers might be from another planet altogether.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

I was screaming at my tv this weekend watching WSBK and SSP. Some of the feats of skill and athleticism were hard to believe

Meanwhile F1 had their first interesting race in two decades, but who really gives a shit when they're basically Real Housewives of Monaco these days

​​​

Comment

Originally posted by YYCZED View Post

Meanwhile F1 had their first interesting race in two decades, but who really gives a shit when they're basically Real Housewives of Monaco these days

​​​
        Absolutely. I have a collection of Road & Track mags from the 70's. Reading those F1 race reports is a treat.

Comment

The AMA has a lot to do with it. They truly ruined what had been built before them.
          KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

I really enjoy watching road racing on TV. Haven't been to a live event in years, even though Barber's is basically right down
            the street. The riding talent of some is just night from this planet. I did go to AMA events some years ago but that Motoamerica
            stuff, I would rather just sit on my porch and listen to the bikes running wfo down I-20, about 1/4 mile away as the crow flies.
            MotoGP has really mixed it up this year for sure. As far as sports, I don't really even keep up with much else. Pro "ball" sports,
            I can't get into anymore. No heroes in any of them anymore for me. In the past different story. In motorcycles, I have plenty.
            Tons of respect for VR, he's has one advantage, he's not from this world we live in.
            Last edited by CHARLIE; 09-12-2020, 02:15 PM.
            "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
            but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Working...
            X