No announcement yet.

Official WSBK 2020 Bench Racing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portimao is a beast! VanderMark and Toprak looked awesome sliding all over the track (maybe not when Toprak fell, but he did come back a long way). JR was a machine out there. Can't wait to see MotoGP on that track!

Greg, Honda is releasing a "new" CBR600RR next week. However, it's just a cosmetic and digital makeover like the last R6 release. New electronics and bodywork, same frame and motor. Even has the undertail exhaust still, showing how little they cared to engineer this release.

I don't know where 600s fit now. When they were sport-tourers like the CBR600F4 I had, they were absolutely awesome (11.0 quarter mile; 157mph; 45mpg; comfortable; sublime handling...) Now they're just a bit shit at everything except the track, where they really shine. The class below 600 is getting really good, and Kawasaki just released a new 250cc inline-4 that revs to 17,000. Doubt Kawi is going to invest in a new 600 on the heels of that expensive little exercise

Comment

Originally posted by YYCZED View Post
      Portimao is a beast! VanderMark and Toprak looked awesome sliding all over the track (maybe not when Toprak fell, but he did come back a long way). JR was a machine out there. Can't wait to see MotoGP on that track!

Greg, Honda is releasing a "new" CBR600RR next week. However, it's just a cosmetic and digital makeover like the last R6 release. New electronics and bodywork, same frame and motor. Even has the undertail exhaust still, showing how little they cared to engineer this release.

I don't know where 600s fit now. When they were sport-tourers like the CBR600F4 I had, they were absolutely awesome (11.0 quarter mile; 157mph; 45mpg; comfortable; sublime handling...) Now they're just a bit shit at everything except the track, where they really shine. The class below 600 is getting really good, and Kawasaki just released a new 250cc inline-4 that revs to 17,000. Doubt Kawi is going to invest in a new 600 on the heels of that expensive little exercise

Yeah, meeting the new Euro emissions requirements is another huge and expensive obstacle. Add in the the fact that many in the target demographic cannot afford to insure a modern 600 even if they can afford to buy one, and the class does look doomed. So what would replace them for SS competition? I know, how about a supercharged Kawi 400?
      Last edited by gregness; 08-11-2020, 10:04 AM.
      "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

I thought Kawi would supercharge all their bikes until I learned that the 24,000km service on my H2 SX SE is $4,000 of mostly labour. In addition to valves, there's some kind of inline filter on the supercharger oil feed that needs to be changed or cleaned, and it's buried deep. The complexity right now seems too much for lower priced bikes. Given that the ZX14R motor is stronger in every measure than the H2 SX, is it even worth it at the high end?

But imagine a 600cc supercharged sport tourer with real torque and great handling?

Comment

SPOILER!

So Aragon 1 is in the books.

It was expected to be a Ducati-Fest, and they did show their strength on the straights. Three surprises-
          - Jon Rea was able to win Race 2 straight-up, though Davies was close
          - Redding did not have it for Race 2 after running away with Race 1
          - Bautista put the new Honda on the podium in Race 2

The Yamaha's did not do well, and neither did the BMW. The new Honda has more/better power than the Yamaha. I wish Mickey VDM was going to a more competitive machine next year.

G
          Last edited by gregness; 08-31-2020, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Honda looks like they're taking Yamaha's spot with their new bike. Going to be a big threat with a bit more development

Comment

News from Aragon... we have a new winner. Michale Rubin Rinaldi won easily over Rea in Race 1, while embarassing the factory Ducatis' on his 2019 spec satellite team bike- for his first podium ever along with the impressive win. No wonder Davies did not seem to happy with third. It's starting to look like another year where the Ducati seems to be the best bike, but Rea is the most consistently fast rider on a bike that works pretty good most of the time. Tomorrow we see if anyone can keep with Rinaldi, who has dominated every session except Super Pole (There's Jonny!) this weekend so far. Meanwhile, Locatelli is making WSS very boring by just winning by a mile every time.

Comment

Did Rinaldi use a different rear tyre to what Rea used in race 1?
                Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Comment

Rea, what a champ!
                  Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Comment

Wow! Race 2 was a hell of a battle.

Comment

Some perspective on what Jonny Rae is accomplishing this year:

Neil Hodgson has a weekly racing podcast, and this week he was talking about Jonny Rae and the ZX10R.

Hodgson coaches Alex Lowes, who he rates as a good rider in WSBK this year. Apparently Lowes can't replicate a lot of the telemetry results that Rae gets, and they don't understand how Rae gets as much out of the ZX10 as he does. They say the bike is really hard to ride, and Rae is often exceeding realistic expectations.

Because Rae is always at the limit and rarely messes up, Hodgson rates him closer to Marc Marquez than almost any other rider in any series.

Interesting in light of domination that's looked easy at times

Comment

Interesting Gar! But not surprising. I know a lot of guys who poo-poo JR's success because "it's only superbike", but the old ZX10 is nothing like the class-leading machine it was when he got on it in 2015. Too bad he will not get the chance to test his skills against the MotoGP guys. One thing I really appreciate about Jonny is how he has not whined about the obvious performance advantage that Dorna allows the Ducati, he just does his best and congratulates the other guys when they win. Pretty classy.

I watched the Moto America race at NJ this weekend. Cam Beaubier (sp?) needs to go find a real challenge. He is winning every race by a mile or two, and this weekend he was two full seconds per lap faster than second place Tony Elias (Suzuki). Part of that is that the Yamaha is the only factory team bike in the series, but he should go to Europe next year while he is still young, and try to get into Moto 2 or WSBK, failing that.

Comment

Johnny Rea is amazing. Thanks for relaying that inside info from that podcast, Garreth. Cam Beaubier should move on to the world stage next season. Most of the MotorAmerica coverage for Superbikes is spent on the race for the rest of the podium. The Supersport races have been very competitive. Race 2 in NJ was the best one yet!
                          My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
                          http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

Beaubier is unfortunately a bit too old to go learn new tracks around Europe. There was talk of him joining Yamaha because he knows one of their riders well, but apparently Yamaha won't hire him because of those factors

Comment

Originally posted by YYCZED View Post
                              Beaubier is unfortunately a bit too old to go learn new tracks around Europe. There was talk of him joining Yamaha because he knows one of their riders well, but apparently Yamaha won't hire him because of those factors
                              I guess 27 is old. Though it does not look like it from here at 63! His old team-mate Garrett Gerloff is getting top ten results in WSBK on B-team equipment, as a rookie.

Comment

Spoiler Alert!

For the first time in ten years, an American Superbike rider has gone to WSBK and got on the podium in his rookie year. Yamaha rider Garret Gerloff, age 26, passed the current top Yamaha rider M. VDM and nearly held on for second on the last lap at the Catlan WSBK race today. Settling for 3rd was pretty damn awesome. His speed was very close to that of winner Chaz Davies. Finally, someone for us 'Mericans to cheer for!

G

Comment

Working...
                                X