Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official WSBK 2020 Bench Racing Thread

SPOILER ALERT...

OK, that was one hell of a start to the 2020 season! Hats off to the top four, they were all in it to the end! And to Honda, for being so close to the winning pace right out of the box with the new bike and new team.

Surprises? For me, the biggest surprise was that this year, the Ducati is not showing the overwhelming power advantage of last year. The Yamaha is no longer making up for a big power deficit, and Toprak winning on the Yamaha was not a surprise. Second biggest surprise- Lowes gets second, nearly wins (and does not crash!) on the Kawaski. Though JR's bad luck (and Tom Syke's aggression) put him off the track and ultimately in the dirt, we could all see that the ZX10R is still thoroughly competitive. (so JR will be back...)

Other thoughts:
    Tom Sykes- a reply of so many his races in past years- great start, leading the race for ten laps, and then gets blitzed at the end as tires fail. Too bad, I thought maybe things could go well for him.

Garrett Gerloff- A 24 year old American rookie in WSBK, who ran in the top 7 for half the race. Let's hope he continues up the learning curve!

Looks like we have a fun season in store.

G
    "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Go Garrett!

What a helluva first race and Superpole race

Here is the link, posted in the MotoGP thread, to Race 1:

My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
    http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

Wow. Best racing in WSBK in decades, all weekend long! Watch if you can, you will not be disappointed!

Comment

Wow! All three races were bonkers

Comment

Just finished watching the Superpole Race

My ol' ZZR1200 pics:

Comment

Phillip Island Race 2 highlights vid (after clicking on the link, you then need to click on the “motorsport” tab at the top of the webpage):
            My ol' ZZR1200 pics:

Comment

Comment

Worldsbk.com free race vids:
                My ol' ZZR1200 pics:

Comment

WSBK happened at Hereth this weekend! Without giving too much away, track temperatures were 60c today

Comment

Spoiler Alert...

Not sure how many of us are paying attention to WSBK this year, but..

The results in Race 1 became a trend in Race 2. Scott Redding and Chaz Davies were the class of the field, dominating on their Ducati's. Rinaldi took his privateer Duc past the factory Kawasaki's as well. John Rea appeared to have made a bad tire choice and fell all the way to 6th behind his team-mate Lowes. It looks alot like last year's start, and I have a feeling Redding is not going to melt-down mid-season like Bautista did. With Raz also faster on his R1, the long domination by JR and KRT may finally be coming to and end. We shall see...

Comment

Yep, watched it. One of my offspring paid for a Foxtel subscription. The races were good to watch, including Super Pole.
                      Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Comment

Redding's block pass on Rae in race 2 (I think) was awesome. but jerez is way too hot right now to be representative

Comment

Roberts on Pole in Portugaul!

Joe Roberts in World Super Sport, that is. I sure like writing that lead line.

(NOTE: My bad. Joe Roberts was on pole in Moto 2, no WSS. Please excuse the error.)

Meanwhile, Rea is on Pole in WSBK, as the Ducati's are NOT dominating practice and qualifying this week. Yamaha's are now, it would appear, fully the equal of the ZX10 and the Duc.
                          Last edited by gregness; 08-09-2020, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Way to go, Joe! ‘merica!
                            My ol' ZZR1200 pics:

Comment

In the immortal words of Jonathon Green, "Normal service has been resumed". JR wins all 3 races in Portugal, and moves into the lead in the championship. But we do got a long way to go and there more tracks that favor the Ducati.

We are now in what, year 3 (or is it 4?) of the total Yamaha domination of World Supersport? Are any of the other manufacturers ever going to build another class-leading 600 Sportbike? This spec ZX6R had its day and won a lot of races and championships, but that is one old design now. With 600 sales falling through the floor, I worry that there will never be another new generation ZX6, CBR or GSXR 600 ever built. Sad.
                              Last edited by gregness; 08-09-2020, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X