Iom 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iom 2018

Been watching the races all week. The great weather has led to records being broken in every class. Interesting that in the big bikes, it has become a BMW vs. Kawasaki event, with Honda on the podium here and there, and no Yamaha or Suzuki machines in the top ten. Dean Harrison rode the wheels off his ZX10, scared the hell out of me just watching him. He led the Superbike race until he went out with a mechanical half way through. He got third in Super Stock 1000, in some sections running below the Superbike record pace! He got second in the Sr. TT yesterday after leading for 5.5 laps of the 6 lap race- slowed by back markers at the end, allowing Peter Hickman to slip by to take the win on his BMW. Michael Dunlop won the Superbike race, and other races this week.

In the 600's, I was surprised to not see Yamaha's at the top, as they totally dominate in WSS. Dunlop won one SS race on a Honda, Harrison the other on a Kawi, with Triumphs running well- no Yamaha's near the podium. But this event is much more about the riders, perhaps, than the machines.

I saw Kawi's go out with major mechanical failures in every class they raced in... I suspect the have had to tune these aging designs to (and beyond) their limits to keep up with the BMW's.

I feel compelled to note that two men have died racing at the TT this year, which is sadly lower than the average. That reality always leaves me with mixed emotions about this event.

G
    "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

I love watching this race year after year. Wish I could go see it in person. The history of this race is amazing to me too.
    As far as the mixed emotions thing about the deaths that happen, they know what could, and does happen, Part of the
    allure I guess is the death defiance with the excitement of the whole thing. They've been doing it since 1907 and will
    keep doing it til people/racers quit coming. Like I said, I hope to go there someday and see this event before my demise.
    Still to me, one of the most amazing events on earth.
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Comment

Not going to comment on the TT, but you should go. A totally unique experience.
      "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
      99 Yamaha R1

Comment

too cool, so dangerous

Comment

Here is a former TT winner's perspective on the TT and MotoGP...
          https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/o...togp-versus-tt

Comment

I love watching the IOM but mised it this year. I too would love to go there and after talking to Arthur about his trip am even more interested. I have a friend who hangs with the Jet set types and he said if he was a millionaire he would move there as homebase. He explained sonething about the Govt, taxes and many millionaire types do that.. but anyway love the racing

Comment

Originally posted by CHARLIE View Post
              I love watching this race year after year. Wish I could go see it in person. The history of this race is amazing to me too.
              As far as the mixed emotions thing about the deaths that happen, they know what could, and does happen, Part of the
              allure I guess is the death defiance with the excitement of the whole thing. They've been doing it since 1907 and will
              keep doing it til people/racers quit coming. Like I said, I hope to go there someday and see this event before my demise.
              Still to me, one of the most amazing events on earth.
              It’s on my bucket list. I hope to someday do an entire Euro bike trip with the TT included somewhere in the trip, maybe to kick it off or at the end, sort of a culmination of the whole trip. It’ll probably have to wait another ten years though. I’d also like to do the Goodwood Revival. That looks like an awful lot of fun.
              Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.

Comment

You know, there are probably more than a couple of us on the site with similar dreams and bucket lists. Maybe I ought to start a thread... perhaps we can start a long-term plan for a "ZZR Euro-Tour" like five years out...
                I personally would like such a trip to include seeing the TT (Classic or Traditional), MotoGp and WSBK, in Italy, Spain and /or Assen. And ride the Alps.

G

Comment

Originally posted by gregness View Post
                  You know, there are probably more than a couple of us on the site with similar dreams and bucket lists. Maybe I ought to start a thread... perhaps we can start a long-term plan for a "ZZR Euro-Tour" like five years out...
                  I personally would like such a trip to include seeing the TT (Classic or Traditional), MotoGp and WSBK, in Italy, Spain and /or Assen. And ride the Alps.

G
                  Sign me up!

My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
                  http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

Working...
                  X