• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's New in Mark's World

Originally posted by Mark View Post
    Originally posted by BIG O View Post
    Congrats!

So, how many pounds is that so far Mark?

Also, what is the belt hierarchy in your discipline?
    Down from 265, so 57 pounds.

The normal BJJ hierarchy is:

White -> blue -> purple -> brown -> black -> red (red is basically only Gracies)

Normally in between you get a stripe on your belt, up to four stripes, until you get to black. My gym does no stripes for blue, purple, or brown, and only does two stripes for white, then you get your blue-white belt (not recognized by the International Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Federation), then you get promoted to blue. Most white -> blue promotions training time is 2 years. I did this in 15 months.

That's adult colors, too. Kids have their own color system that isn't all that universal. When someone who trains in BJJ turns 16, they're eligible to become a blue belt. If they've been training for years, it's usually a given. Some black belts at 20 are rare. Most take 8-10 years to go from white to black.
    10-4.

Thanks for the info and keep up the great work
    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Awesome Mark!

I have a buddy that took up BJJ about 2 years ago and at age 54 has lost about 30 pounds and is feeling much more fit, except for all the muscle and skeletal injuries.
      “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

I started using a single action revolver for my workout. Whew! Am I pooped! LOL
        Young men know the rules, OLD men know the exceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by eteach01 View Post
          I started using a single action revolver for my workout. Whew! Am I pooped! LOL
          So you've got "popeye finger" ?

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

And here it is:

3JY5MaMe.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IJCFc_qkHw

Comment

Originally posted by mobilerd View Post
              This thread hits home with me. My weight had increased over the years until a doctor visit last year I hit 259! At that moment I said to my self you need to lose a 100 POUNDS! Did hard core Adkins for first seven months of this year and lost over 60 pounds. I was at a point before the weight loss I was dragging my ass back and forth to work and planning to retire at 62 because it was a struggle. Now my energy levels are awesome, I am in the second phase walking 30 to 45 minutes a day. I will drop another 40 pounds in the next few months. To all who are substantially overweight, do something, don't wait 10 years like I did. I tell everyone there is no fountain of youth, but my results are the closest thing to it! By the way I am 60 years old just for a point of reference. And yeah the ZZR pulls a lot harder with the big weight loss.
              Keep at it! You may want to look into doing a couch to 5k program, too.

Comment

Originally posted by ramblin66 View Post
                Awesome Mark!

I have a buddy that took up BJJ about 2 years ago and at age 54 has lost about 30 pounds and is feeling much more fit, except for all the muscle and skeletal injuries.
                It's hell on all of it. I have a lot of accumulative injuries.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  Congrats!

So, how many pounds is that so far Mark?

Also, what is the belt hierarchy in your discipline?
                  Down from 265, so 57 pounds.

The normal BJJ hierarchy is:

White -> blue -> purple -> brown -> black -> red (red is basically only Gracies)

Normally in between you get a stripe on your belt, up to four stripes, until you get to black. My gym does no stripes for blue, purple, or brown, and only does two stripes for white, then you get your blue-white belt (not recognized by the International Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Federation), then you get promoted to blue. Most white -> blue promotions training time is 2 years. I did this in 15 months.

That's adult colors, too. Kids have their own color system that isn't all that universal. When someone who trains in BJJ turns 16, they're eligible to become a blue belt. If they've been training for years, it's usually a given. Some black belts at 20 are rare. Most take 8-10 years to go from white to black.
                  10-4.

Thanks for the info and keep up the great work
                  Thanks Mike!

Comment

Reviving an old thread...

I'm down to 190 lbs. Officially cured of sleep apnea, so no more sleeping apparatus. I'm growing a beard! And what little hair I can grow.

I picked up the banjo back in July. I recently came into possession of a 1927 Gibson TB-3 archtop converted to a 5 string. It's such a sweet, old sound.

Untitled.jpg

I'm closing on a house at the end of the month. The house has a two car garage, so no more parking my bike outside. Will have space for bike(s) and the trailer, plus my daily driver car, a 2018 Ford Focus RS.

IMG_20180807_162819.jpg

Comment

Great to hear you are happy Mark. Peace

Comment

Awesome all around Mark. Glad to hear and thanks for sharing.

I've managed to lose 25+ pounds myself over the past 6 months. I feel a heck of a lot better for it. Still looking to shed about 8-10 more.

I hear good things about the Focus RS. 350 ponies in a hot hatch sounds FUN.

Cheers!
                        “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Congrats on the house Mark

BTW

Responded to your PM
                          Last edited by BIG O; 01-21-2019, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Congrats on the house Mark

BTW

Responded to your PM
                            Thanks!

I responded back.

Comment

Originally posted by ramblin66 View Post
                              Awesome all around Mark. Glad to hear and thanks for sharing.

I've managed to lose 25+ pounds myself over the past 6 months. I feel a heck of a lot better for it. Still looking to shed about 8-10 more.

I hear good things about the Focus RS. 350 ponies in a hot hatch sounds FUN.

Cheers!
                              It's nearly as fun as the ZX-6R but a hell of a lot more convenient. Still, if I ball it up on a corner I'm out 10 times what the ZX-6R cost me.

Comment

Working...
                              X