What's New in Mark's World

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's New in Mark's World

I know I haven't been around much lately. That's due to mostly not having a running bike. But I've still been keeping busy.

I now work nearly full-time in all but title as a python developer at Twitter. I'm making a huge impact while working with great team members. The team experienced a merge with a larger team, and I'm already seeing the benefits.

Last March, I had a full physical exam completed, including blood/genetic tests, along with seeing a dietician. I started a diet rich with complex carbs and low on starch/sugar. No strict guidelines, just that. I also began an assorted course of vitamins and supplements to counteract the deficiencies found. To top it all off, I was asked to walk 20 minutes a day by the dietician.

And so I did. Let me tell you, walking 20 mins a day is dreadfully boring. Once I became accustomed to walking, I started looking into training for a 5k and settled on the couch to 5k program I had started once before. Months later, I finished but my time was still very low. I started another 5k training program, and now I'm jogging six miles a week, two miles a day for thirty minutes three days a week.

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine posted on Facebook inviting anyone who was interested in trying Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu to talk to her. So I did. And then I had my first intro class. Then I borrowed a GI for two classes and bought the borrowed, used GI on the third class. I'm now three weeks in, and as of today's class, I've learned two cross chokes (over/under), two sweeps from guard (scissor and I-don't-remember-the-other-name), and a pass. I joined the regular crew in live, situational training.

I feel great! The waist line is dropping, I have more energy throughout the day. My hope is that once I fix my bike, I'll be in the best physical shape I've ever been, with greater flexibility and stamina. My first 5k is scheduled for October 10th, "The Bacon Run". Run 5k, receive bacon.

Oh, I've also done some recent work to upgrade against security vulnerabilities with ZZRBikes. So there's that, too. It's not quite done, but we're close.
    Last edited by Mark; 09-10-2015, 07:59 PM.

Re: What's New in Mark's World

Outstanding Mark. You should be very proud of yourself. And thanks for the work you do on the site. Peace

Comment

Great job Mark, baby steps and just keep pushing forward.

Comment

Thanks for all you do on the site Mark. It's good to hear from you. As for your health - do whatever it takes to keep active. Find things you enjoy and keep your body in motion. The less you do now the less you will be able to do when you get older. At some point in time an inactive body will shut down on you and the journey back will be too long. If you do nothing long enough, in the end that's all you will be able to do. Trust me on this, I have seen it happen to family and friends, a sedentary life in your advancing years is not a good thing.

I was a big runner for over 25 years of my adult life. It along with all of the other activities I participated in resulted in too much wear and tear on my knees. I have had 3 knee surgeries now, 2 on the left knee and one on the right so I am not much of a runner any more. I do still ride my bike, ski, climb mountains and walk to stay in shape.

I took up walking seriously a few years ago for my 60th birthday. I started with a small walk (), a 500 mile walk across the Camino de Santiago, a pilgrimage that starts in France and ends in Santiago de Compostela in Spain. I carried on from there and walked another 200 miles to the coast for a total of 700 miles in two months. During the time I was away I also changed my diet. It's a very rare day that I will indulge in pizza, cheeseburgers or beers anymore. Now I try to eat as healthy as possible. There is never junk food in my house, no cakes, cookies, chips or processed foods, no candy or soda either. In the two years since I have been home I have continued my walking program having accrued about another 4000 miles since I got back. Yes you read that right. Between my walk across Spain and my continued walking program since I have walked almost 5000 miles in two years. My high blood pressure is gone. I have no sign of diabetes which runs in my family and I am fitter now than I have been in years. I have always been fit and active, but years of sitting behind a desk in a middle management job and too many cheeseburgers and beers took their toll on my general health and wellbeing even though I continued to lead a fairly active lifestyle. When I left for my walkabout I weighed in at 206 pounds, far too heavy for my 5'10" frame. When I got back from Spain two months later I stood on the scale and weighed in at 183. In the two years since I have been home I have lost another 12 or 13 pounds. I now regularly weigh in at 170 pounds which is the same weight I carried through university. I am lucky, I am retired so I have the luxury of time, that allows me to find interesting ways and to take on new challenges to renew my mind, body and spirit.

I am now considering attempting a thru hike on the Pacific Crest Trail (the PCT) next year. The PCT starts at the Mexican border and winds it's way up through California, Oregon and Washington. It is a 2650 mile walkabout through California across the desert, over the Sierras, through the Oregon forests and then over the Washington Cascades before ending in Manning Park, British Columbia in Canada. A thru hike involves doing the entire trail in a single season. It takes an average hiker 5 to 6 months to complete it. More people have successfully summited Mt. Everest than have completed the PCT in a single season. To complete a thru hike on the PCT is a major accomplishment achieved only by a select few. Can I do it? I don't know. I know that the only way I will find out is if I try.

At the end of the day find something that catches your interest, something you like to do. Set some goals and challenge them. None of us knows what we are capable of if we don't try. Even the longest journey begins with a single step.

An added bonus is my ZX14 is much faster now I weigh almost 35 pounds less.

Good luck on your personal journey. Take care of your health. It will pay you back in spades when you get older.
        Last edited by NotDeadYet; 09-12-2015, 10:37 AM.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Thanks for the update Mark and thanks for keeping the site going. I was wondering where you've been. I started swimming regularly two years ago. I could barely do 50 yards without needing a pause to catch my breath. I'm now doing 1.25 miles in @ 45 minutes 3-4 times per week. Now if i could exercise some will power when it comes to food I might see a significant weight reduction. I'm down about 12 lb in the past year just from the added exercise.

Comment

great news Mark.Really good to hear your efforts to do some rewarding improvements and I know it must feel great.Keep it up.Also I want to show my appreciation for all you do for the site as I've always referred to the site as my "Electronic Campground" as I've been fortunate to have had discussion and contact with many great people because of the site.Hope you get your ride back in operation soon and eventually cross paths again sometime for a ride.
            sigpic

Comment

Great to hear what you are doing for you, and thank you for all the work you do to keep this site running
              My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
              http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

That's great Mark!

I wish I could force myself into some kind of exercise routine.

Even if it's just walking for 30 minutes a day.

Hope you have continued success with your programs.

Also a big THANK YOU for keeping the site going.
                I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

You can do it Mike!

For me it helped to make it part of my morning routine, along with removing excuses to not walk. I'd make sure my exercise clothes were clean, folded the night before, along with socks and shoes, right where I would see them as I woke up. I'd throw on my clothes, drink a glass of water, then go walking. Some days I didn't feel like walking but I did anyway. Other days I just didn't. But I didn't let a failure to walk get me down.

Remove the excuses, and you'll get it done.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                    You can do it Mike!

For me it helped to make it part of my morning routine, along with removing excuses to not walk. I'd make sure my exercise clothes were clean, folded the night before, along with socks and shoes, right where I would see them as I woke up. I'd throw on my clothes, drink a glass of water, then go walking. Some days I didn't feel like walking but I did anyway. Other days I just didn't. But I didn't let a failure to walk get me down.

Remove the excuses, and you'll get it done.
                    I just can't force myself to "work out" then have to go to work AFTER. I work 3-11 p and typically don't get to sleep until 2 am so that kinda puts a damper on getting out of bed early.

I used to work out after work but then getting home around 2 am and waking Amanda up when I got home (she has to get up for work at 5 am) didn't work either.

It's currently a work schedule issue.

Man, that's a good excuse

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

5k done! Completed in 38 minutes 31 seconds. And that was the last time I ran

l1J2LGMy.jpg

It's now nearly four months I've been doing BJJ. I own a couple of GIs, some rash guards, and prepping for increased classes starting January, in further preparation for competing at a Copa America BJJ tournament on May 21st.

Waist line is still dropping. Jaw is sore from a a cross face and choke. Joints and muscles are sore; I think I ripped some this past Saturday trying to defend in turtle guard. I wouldn't give any of this up.
                      Last edited by Mark; 12-07-2015, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Keep up the good work Mark

Comment

Every morning when I wake up it feels like I was in an MMA fight the night before.

Some folks have genes that allow them to absorb punishment and just have it roll off their back. And then there are folks like me......

My motto these days is . . . if it hurts, don't do it . . . (unless it is a lot of fun).

If it makes you happy Mark, then go for it. I still find that a good sweat clears the mind and releases tension.
                          Last edited by mehush; 12-09-2015, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Oh believe me, I am sore after every class. Sometimes I have skin missing from my foot, scratch on my hand or face. But I usually have a big stupid grin on my face, too.

I may be physically built for it but my body tells me I'm getting old.

Comment

It's settled! I'm competing as a white belt in BJJ at the Copa America grappling championship on May 21st, 2016. I'll have ~10 months of training in at that point.

Wish me luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X