Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need to rebuild my shop

Originally posted by eteach01 View Post
    currently 40 x 30, but thinking of stretching it to 60 x 30. It seems a little over the top for a ranch, but I keep coming back to this design. The wife says it will make the house look dinky as it would be almost twice the square footage... strangely, I'm OK with that. LOL Currently I have no office or trophy room, which I kinda miss, hence the second floor. The only drawback so far, is that there would be no place for a car hoist. About the only thing I really miss from my 16 years in the auto trades. What's in your shop? Clearly I'd need to change some of the cosmetics to better blend with the stucco of the other buildings and the desert landscape... like cedar logs and stucco.

And yes, I'd do it all myself... Too much?

WHATTTTTTT....no pool?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JeffS View Post
      Originally posted by CrazyTrain View Post
      My dream home is a 60' x 60' airplane hangar - apt upstairs, cars and bikes downstairs.

An airplane hangar w/o the apt and an RV for living is plan B.

I envy your shop love your shop idea, Keith, (Batt's too) but I'd burn the house down and live in the shop ;)

Best I can do right now is post a pic of my Zed in the corner of the shop at work ... doesn't cost me a penny ;)
      Wow CT, there is some nice stuff in that shop
      +1

I wish my old cr@p was THAT old cr@p... I did actually draw up plans 10 years ago that was basically a 4 car garage with a two bedroom apt. above it. I almost built it, but while I may still be able to tinker around when I'm 80 I'm thinkin' stairs in a place so rural might not be a sound plan.

holtff1074: Funny you should mention that, we had some discussion about doing one of those pools they make out of the 40 yard dumpsters... that is until I found out what they want for those old dumpsters. I've never been a big pool guy, seems like you spend way more time maintaining them than using them.
      Young men know the rules, OLD men know the exceptions.

Comment

I really admire your design as it is,looks like a nice option.Pool would be nice just to keep some eye candy handy .... of course couldn't get much work done then that's for sure.I'm getting ready to add to the side of my lil garage just to create a place for the bike so I can finally get my project car into the garage that was built just for that purpose.I just bought one of the Harbor Frieght lift tables and will somehow build that into the partly covered sideporch as it will become bike workshop & storage.Anxious to get my 65 done.
        sigpic

Comment

Sorry, been in MT for a while... and saw a lot of old barns...

I can't help but see some irony because I refer to my wife as "Debbie May Clampett", and I don't even want to think about dogs, goats, etc. going swimming in a cement pond.

Now that I've had a 1000 mile ride, and added another bike to the collection... I'm thinking of dialing it back to one story, and just extending the roof over the garage doors for shade. would still be 1800 Sq. Feet...

I built one prototype lift table that uses a regular hydraulic bike lift to set it on either jack stands, or mover's dollies. The balance worked out first try, but I'm still prototyping wheel chock and tie downs. It did only cost $59 in materials though, and looks old school.

Comment

The overhang over the shop doors is something I wish I had done... It is always nice to have your project out in fresh air when doing some maintenance or just washing your bike in the sunny time of day... But alas I didn't do that, I put the cover on a side wall... I should have done both... Since we never have any rain around here, I don't have to worry about working under it in the rain... Oh well maybe next year...

Most men would kill for that shop.................
            Proud Dad of a U.S. Marine and a USAF Airman

Comment

The plan as posted in your original photo is "way sweet." If it fits the budget I'd say go for it. I'm sure if you looked you could find a low profile lift to fit the design.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Thanks to undue childhood influence from my Grandfather (born 1893), I have mastered the building trades to exceed domestic/domicile codes... so budget is strictly materials, all the concrete is already there.
                ( by the way- last remodel project involved replacing all the copper in the house- I taught myself how to do PEX for plumbing- oh He!! yeah!)

I'm thinking I could take away the second level, but keep the overhang over the center doors- Here in the desert shade is king at least from June to Sept. I'll have to brush up on my photoshop skills, but keeping that center front to back roofline without the second level would accommodate a car hoist. I'd have to "southwesternize" the support posts to keep everything matching aesthetically.

On the other hand, that second level balcony would be an awesome sound stage for our 3 day Halloween/Octoberfest parties.

Comment

After a year of negotiations and a heck of a lot of life issues we are finally at a quorum. I lost a few battles, but won the war so to speak- The wife was a tad concerned that the shop may end up nicer looking and double the size of the house, and I sort of realized that I might be getting too ambitious.

So... we took off the second story (sort of) thus I lose the "game room", but I managed to keep in:
                  another 600 Sq. Feet added on to the existing 1200
                  an 8 x 12 office with A/C
                  a full bath
                  swamp coolers and air ventilation
                  regular roll up doors (getting rid of barn doors)
                  finished walls, ceiling, insulation
                  built in air lines, compressor in an outdoor enclosure
                  Re truss part of the existing shop to accommodate a car hoist
                  a car hoist
                  new metal roof
                  new composite siding
                  Solar panel system to take it mostly off grid (accept welder and compressor)
                  all new lighting (LED)
                  Complete new wiring
                  And possibly... a private smoking deck off the back.

Weather has finally dropped below 100, Site is prepped, Plans are done, lumber ordered for next week, air nailers are all oiled up and ready for business. Taking the "Before" pictures this weekend.

Now- who is coming to help?

Comment

Congrats on the proposed changes and the well thought out plans for improvement.Curious of how/what led choices you're using as I've considered doing something of that nature since I've done some within the house.But for a more hobby/garage application in my garage I'm not sure of led shop lighting or maybe doing some custom enclosures to hold some led cans.Currently using 2 - 8' & 4 - 4' fourbulb fluorescent units.So I'm looking forward to improving at least the lighting some day.Anxious to view your progress as it begins.Keep the updates posted!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mehush View Post
                      I'd hit it.

(me too, just not at the same time)
                      “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

If you're not already on garagejournal.com, you may want to look into it.

Comment

Originally posted by holtff1074 View Post
                          Congrats on the proposed changes and the well thought out plans for improvement.Curious of how/what led choices you're using as I've considered doing something of that nature since I've done some within the house.But for a more hobby/garage application in my garage I'm not sure of led shop lighting or maybe doing some custom enclosures to hold some led cans.Currently using 2 - 8' & 4 - 4' fourbulb fluorescent units.So I'm looking forward to improving at least the lighting some day.Anxious to view your progress as it begins.Keep the updates posted!
                          Oh, that's easy. I discovered I can build LED lights way cheaper than buying them, and drive them off a 12 volt system charged by solar panels. I live out in the puckerbrush and am always thinking about the "What if"s... having been without power for 24 hours sucks. For $10 you can buy a 16' strip of LEDs in any of 3 intensities for $7-$10. Run some 2" PVC pipe through your table saw to cut in half, put the strips in the pipe, wire them up, make them any length with the usual PVC connectors... a 16' run should draw about 96 watts. You can also make the fixtures I, L , U or rectangular shaped. If you want them dust covered, get those plastic florescent tube covers... I've also been re purposing old UPS backup units to use as power inverters to run A/C stuff.

Our winter is actually summer, when we do inside things when the temps go above 100 (and steal my motivation). So, Swamp coolers draw way less power and really do a fair job of making things more comfortable in a large space. We rarely get below 40, and being from Chicago originally, that is springtime. Why there is currently a 1000 lb wood stove in there is beyond me- the thing looks like a pipe organ and takes up a lot of space.

The other choices stem mostly from my "It has to last 30 years" motto. Figuring by the time I'm pushing 90 I won't still be living on a ranch. Metal roof ended up costing about 25 cents a square foot more than the asphalt shingles- no brainer. The composite siding is due to the way the summer heat destroys wood products. Our house is 1200 sq. feet but only 2 bedrooms and 1 bath (what a challenge gutting and remodeling THAT was). Hence the bath (for backup) and the office. The car hoist went back in to the plan a couple weeks ago when I had to bench press the transmission back into my wife's truck... I'm closer to 60 than 50, and that ain't going to be happenin' for much longer!

The rest are nice-to-haves, like the regular doors that can be operated with openers (got to figure out the gate to do the same some day) and when weatherstripped will be more critter proof against intrusion from the snakes, lizards, tarantulas, scorpions, black widows and brown recluses... finishing the walls and ceilings will help with that too by taking away the hiding places. The shop powers the exterior old sodium lights (like a street light) which have to go as well, hence rewiring, and besides, you never have enough outlets. t the end of the day, I expect to have an active retirement, and I'd like to learn a little cabinetry along the way, as well as keep improving the place. With 6 bikes, 2 cars and a truck, of which the ZZR is the newest- there is always a wrench that needs spinning.

So, do we still have to upload pic's off site and link to them, or is there a way to upload them here now?

Comment

So, do we still have to upload pic's off site and link to them, or is there a way to upload them here now?
                            Still have to upload them from a picture hosting site.

BTW

I love your shelving system!

Reminds me of my college years

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Starting day- lumber delivered to 1 week later- 1 old man, a nail gun, and a week off.

Roof goes up this weekend.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BIG O View Post

Still have to upload them from a picture hosting site.

Since when? Site uploads pics fine from this end.

Comment

Working...
                                X