Need to rebuild my shop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to rebuild my shop

currently 40 x 30, but thinking of stretching it to 60 x 30. It seems a little over the top for a ranch, but I keep coming back to this design. The wife says it will make the house look dinky as it would be almost twice the square footage... strangely, I'm OK with that. LOL Currently I have no office or trophy room, which I kinda miss, hence the second floor. The only drawback so far, is that there would be no place for a car hoist. About the only thing I really miss from my 16 years in the auto trades. What's in your shop? Clearly I'd need to change some of the cosmetics to better blend with the stucco of the other buildings and the desert landscape... like cedar logs and stucco.

And yes, I'd do it all myself... Too much?

Young men know the rules, OLD men know the exceptions.

Re: Need to rebuild my shop

I'd hit it.

Comment

Can a shop be too big? I don't think so....they make some great portable lifts that roll around a must I think. I am planning on relocating to another state and that place will have or I will add a shop. I plan a tall enough one to have and upstairs inside for storage. Sounds like a great addition Keith

Comment

I have a lift and once you have one...

As Jeff said, no shop is too big.

G
        "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

You bastard!

Buy me a ticket out there and I'll give you some ideas.
          My imagination is unlimited.
          KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

That garage would be awesome!!! At the same time I say that, I would hate to have a second floor. For me, I despise stairs and hate having to climb much of anything anymore. Just have to do it everyday for work, many times a day. Body and knees aren't getting any younger so I'll stick to the flat one level with high ceiling for a lift.

Comment

Want.

Let's have a shop raising. I'll bring the bourbon.
              “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Wow... I have a 30' x 30' metal building shop... Before I built it my neighbor told me to build it bigger ... he has 30' x 60' (I think)... I told him he was nuts and I would never need a shop that big... You would think when you get my age you would be smarter... Oh well...

Here is a few shots of the inside...
                Attached Files
                Proud Dad of a U.S. Marine and a USAF Airman

Comment

Originally posted by Batt5 View Post
                  Wow... I have a 30' x 30' metal building shop... Before I built it my neighbor told me to build it bigger ... he has 30' x 60' (I think)... I told him he was nuts and I would never need a shop that big... You would think when you get my age you would be smarter... Oh well...

Here is a few shots of the inside...
                  I've been to Batt5s shop, it's eat on the floor clean and we'll supplied.....

Comment

I had to add one more picture... All shops need to be protected and have a bad ass guard dog...

Attached Files
                    Proud Dad of a U.S. Marine and a USAF Airman

Comment

I certainly get the idea of 1 story- that was sort of our motivation for buying this place was that the ranch house is modest by most in terms of square footage, only 1 bath and 2 bedrooms. As I mentioned before, I married a norCal version of Ellie Mae Clampett so we have an ever growing number of critters, and I thought a 1200 Sq. foot shop would be all I'd ever need. Of course, I was a newly wed then, and combining her house and my two into one is when the leprechauns showed up. (more later)

Housing 2 cars, a truck, and soon to be 7 bikes requires a lot of static space though. (Don't be too impressed, the 12 year old ZZR is the newest vehicle I have, they last because up to this point at least, I've kept them out of the sun and meticulously maintained) Adjacent to the shop is a 20 x 30 RV park slab that is 9" thick and it just seems silly not to use somehow. By way of thought process history, I started by thinking I'd make this slab a car port. That seemed silly since doing that I'm just 3 walls away from a garage. Since Shade is king, I figured I could build the garage attached to the existing shop and then join the garage and the cassita with a pergola spanning the black top to use as a car port. then that changed to a party deck, but out here a party deck needs to be covered... anyway, you can see how I jumped the rails.

Reason for the rebuild:
                      I have a hodgepodge of storage systems that just isn't working. I have a pile of 3 or 4 unused 4x8x8' long sections of 8' tall industrial shelving (think the kind in home depot they store pallets of stock on) I keep thinking I should be able to use somehow. currently using regular steel shelves and then another 20' or so of wooden shelves I built. There seems to be a troupe of leprechauns out here that during the week brings me a pile of crap that needs to be stored. Inside the shop is 30 feet of workbenches that, for someone my height is fairly useless, and not quite the type of material that works for the machinist type work. In the middle of it is this HUGE wood stove that looks like a pipe organ (the need for heat in SoNev is beyond me) and getting rid of that would go a long way toward freeing up organizational space. The problem is the thing has to weigh at least a 1/2 ton and moving it would be a challenge without cutting it up. The shop isn't insulated, 1/2 the lights are burned out, 1/2 the outlets don't work, the siding is shot and I have rodent control down to Special Forces precision. Every time we have a gust of wind over 50 mph I'm replacing shingles. Only one of the 2 swamp coolers work. Someone tried to drywall the ceiling at one time but used nails and 1/2" drywall, about 1/2 of which I've helped the rest of the way off the rafters. Last, I suspect that bats are living up in the roof as well, but since they eat insects I'm giving them a pass for now. Attic storage space is non-existent due to trusses, and also gets hot. Last, because we are more or less 50 miles from civilized society (hardware store) I have to keep a fairly sizable stock of plumbing, electrical, hvac, fencing stuff on hand as well as all the tooling and equipment needed for those not-as-uncommon-as-you-might-think occurrences.

I would love to hear about any creative solutions anyone has come up with. For example I built a motorcycle lift table that works off the transmission jack style bike lift and sets down on jack stands, or mover's dollies to move around when something else needs precedence. I used to have metal work benches that folded flat against the wall (when not in use) in my shop in Chicago... I left them behind and now I can't find them any more. Stuff like that. I've built my own house, garage, additions, etc in the past and have mastered all the building trades (some of them twice!), but this is a pay as you go affair for the most part, so the budget is primarily for materials. I do realize I will have to give up my Amish devotion to the hammer, and go the way of the nail gun this time. Being closer to 60 than 50 I'm guessing this may be my last big project, so I want to get it right. The weather is going to break here soon by dipping into the double digits which is why I'm starting to do the planning.

Comment

Haven't thought about the metal building option... not sure that would work well here on the surface of the sun. Not to mention it is another trade to learn- how are the costs? Higher/lower?

Comment

Metal is very popular out on the far west. We put up two 30x40s for about 9 each at work. You can go up cheap if you want a higher ceiling. They will add doors, insulate and customize to suit.
                          Last edited by JeffS; 08-19-2015, 05:08 PM.

Comment

My dream home is a 60' x 60' airplane hangar - apt upstairs, cars and bikes downstairs.

An airplane hangar w/o the apt and an RV for living is plan B.

I envy your shop love your shop idea, Keith, (Batt's too) but I'd burn the house down and live in the shop ;)

Best I can do right now is post a pic of my Zed in the corner of the shop at work ... doesn't cost me a penny ;)
                            Attached Files

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
                            ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyTrain View Post
                              My dream home is a 60' x 60' airplane hangar - apt upstairs, cars and bikes downstairs.

An airplane hangar w/o the apt and an RV for living is plan B.

I envy your shop love your shop idea, Keith, (Batt's too) but I'd burn the house down and live in the shop ;)

Best I can do right now is post a pic of my Zed in the corner of the shop at work ... doesn't cost me a penny ;)
                              Wow CT, there is some nice stuff in that shop

Comment

Working...
                              X