(Car) Headlight restorer/ polish?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Car) Headlight restorer/ polish?

Hi Guys, I have an old MPV which I have as back up to the Bikes if the weathers bad.

A good old bus, but its about 15 years old now and the headlights have 'yellowed'
    enough to reduce the beam.

Has anyone used or could recommend a polish to restore them?

I've seen some on Fleabay but if you read some of the feedback they say it doesn't work (cheap version).

Cheers

An Englishman, has all the qualities of a poker - except the occasional warmth.
    sigpic

Re: (Car) Headlight restorer/ polish?

It works to some small degree. I used it on the wife's 2000 Grand Caravan Sport when the plastic covers yellowed. Actually started with 200 grit wet-or-dry and progressed to 400, 600, 800, and finally 1000 before applying the polish. A couple of months later when she claimed she still couldn't see to drive at night, I replaced the headlight bezels with new ones from fleabay Came complete with new bulbs and level bubbles for setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Danno View Post
      It works to some small degree. I used it on the wife's 2000 Grand Caravan Sport when the plastic covers yellowed. Actually started with 200 grit wet-or-dry and progressed to 400, 600, 800, and finally 1000 before applying the polish. A couple of months later when she claimed she still couldn't see to drive at night, I replaced the headlight bezels with new ones from fleabay Came complete with new bulbs and level bubbles for setting.
      Isn't the name "Grand Caravan Sport" an oxymoron???!!!! They are neither Grand or Sporty...
      tbolt

Comment

Grand denotes the long wheelbase version. Sport means a spoiler in the back, match-painted front bumper cover with foglights and 17" wheels (which ended up in the scrapper after I mounted some 15s to cut the price of tires by 50%)

Comment

Wal-Mart sells a plastic polish in the automotive department . . . $1.99 - yellow bottle

I used it with my foam polishing ball on a couple of different cars/trucks.
          My GMC pick-up needed to be polished twice a year!
          1999 Kawasaki ZX11D7 Ninja
          1993 Kawasaki ZX11D1 "Adventure"
          1985 Yamaha Venture Royale with Vmax cams
          1992 Yamaha Venture Royale

Comment

I've used the Maguires polish and the polishing ball on the end of a drill. I didn't think it worked well at all. I did one headlight and didn't even move on to the next. I would just try to source some different headlight units.
            sigpic

"I was just checkin' the specs on the endline rotary girder..."
            -Tommy Callahan

Comment

Thanks Guys - mixed reactions as I'd thought, I think the best thing to do is try and soure some replacements, as a couple of you suggest
              - got a few months before winter..
              sigpic

Comment

I had this professionally done to my old Dodge about a year ago. Wasn't cheap at all ($130 or so for both headlights) but they did look like new afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by clausiam View Post
                  I had this professionally done to my old Dodge about a year ago. Wasn't cheap at all ($130 or so for both headlights) but they did look like new afterwards.
                  Thats interesting Claus - Thanks - I'll look into that!

The problem I have is that the cars a Toyota Lucida:

Which is an Import over here, and the varieties are Endless! - Getting the exact model/Year may be a PITA!
                  Last edited by Artaroos; 07-28-2010, 03:10 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

I also wasted money on headlight polish then bought brand new ones.
                    Effective resistance to usurpers is possible only provided the citizens understand their rights and are disposed to defend them

Comment

3m makes a professional kit. we have a technician we had trained on the procedure and do it almost daily for customers. it is not cheap like 90 bucks worth however when done correctly it is 99 percent effective. i know the sanding discs used for the little air sander are available in 600 800 1000 and 1500 grit. used with the 3m chemicals it works well.
                      Q: What was the most positive result of the "Cash for Clunkers" program?
                      A: It took 95% of the Obama bumper stickers off the road.

Comment

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...cts/Headlight/

Comment

i was incorrect it goes up to 3000 grit

Comment

The problem is, when the plastic starts to deteriorate, it's not just on the surface, it's all the way through. I got a brand-new pair of lights for the van off Fleabay for $78 complete with new headlight and signal/marker bulbs. And changing them out was a lot less work than all the polishing.

Comment

Working...
                            X