X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hydrogen - Our Energy Future

First Hydrogen powered Semi truck...

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/n...cell-hydrogen/

Dubbed Nikola One, this Tron-like Class-8 rig has 1,000 horsepower and 2,000 pound-feet of torque. Just for comparison's sake, note that the D13 diesel engine from Volvo Trucks is good for anywhere from 375 to 500 horsepower and 1,450 to 1,850 pound-feet of torque. The Nikola One gets the job done with zero emissions. In other words, this could well be a game changer.

The One's hydrogen fuel cell feeds a set of high-density 320-kWh lithium batteries that power the fully electric drivetrain. This concept shown has six electric motors, one powering each axle. Because peak torque is reached the instant a foot touches the throttle, the Nikola One can shoot to 60 miles an hour in 30 seconds, compared to 60 seconds for a traditional diesel rig.
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Slow and steady....

Cummins is starting to ditch diesel for hydrogen

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

"They calculate that entirely replacing the current global diesel fleet with green hydrogen and battery technology would require a 50 percent increase in electricity output over today’s levels."

Plus replacing the petrol fleet with EVs.
        "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
        99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Originally posted by Moise View Post
          "They calculate that entirely replacing the current global diesel fleet with green hydrogen and battery technology would require a 50 percent increase in electricity output over today’s levels."

Plus replacing the petrol fleet with EVs.
          I wasn't clear on why they conflated battery and Hydrogen in that statement.

I don't see battery powered vehicles surviving long term (20 years out). Not without major advances in charging or swappable batteries.

We'll see....

From the article....
          “From an energy density point of view, weight density, new batteries are not as good as hydrogen tanks are," Lineberger said. "So if you've got a truck that's loaded up with weight, you're going to be better off with a lighter weight fuel than batteries.”

Hydrogen tanks can also be refilled quicker than it takes to charge a battery that can hold the same amount of energy, which means quicker turnaround times for operators.
          Of course neither technology is actually "Green" today, so, there's still lots of work to be done on renewable energy sources. Which energy source will get Green first, electric recharging of batteries or production of Hydrogen for fuel cells? It's certainly an interesting race.

“If you drive a battery car, Tesla or something in Indiana today, you're mostly driving a coal car, electricity from coal,” Lineberger said. “So who cares if you're using a battery? It's not zero-carbon coal. So there's got to be a big move from fossil fuel energy production towards renewable energy production.”

Comment

I do enjoy telling new EV owners that the electricity to charge it is probably coming from New Zealand's only coal-fired power station.

"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
            99 Yamaha R1

Comment

There is some evidence that even the Greeners are starting to accept that the only viable solution for a low-to-zero carbon energy future (without electrical power starvation) is nuclear. New technology in modular component reactors that can come off and on line quickly to firm varying solar and wind output is quite promising.
              "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

Originally posted by gregness View Post
                There is some evidence that even the Greeners are starting to accept that the only viable solution for a low-to-zero carbon energy future (without electrical power starvation) is nuclear. New technology in modular component reactors that can come off and on line quickly to firm varying solar and wind output is quite promising.
                I can't be a fan of nuclear until we can mitigate the waste. Not to mention the problems from accidents. That said, it seems to me that the huge amount of waste heat from nuclear power could be put to better use. I'd love to see a study about using the electricity from a nuclear plant, combined with the heated cooling water to produce Hydrogen for fuel cells. How much more/less efficient is that vs other methods of H2 production? Compare this to the energy required for (and energy loss from) traditional electric generation and transmission. Etc.

As a replacement for gasoline for vehicles, I still think H2 is the long term winner.... but... I have to acknowledge the tons of investment going into electrics currently. I just don't see myself spending a few hours recharging my EV every 200 miles on a cross country trip. I made 2 long drives in August/September. 1000 miles each way to/from Tucson and 1200 miles each way to/from Raleigh. Tucson was one day in each direction. Raleigh was a night in a hotel each way.

A long range Tesla is good for maybe 300 miles on the first leg of a trip (full charge). If you can find superchargers along the way, it's about 30 minutes to charge to half that distance. No way you're going to drag a full family SUV or a trailer full of stuff to college that far. So, current technology would be maybe 250 miles on the first leg, then a 30 minute charge every 2 hours or so the rest of the way. No thanks. Certainly a deal killer for the trucking industry, even with bigger batteries. Go H2!

Comment

This is really interesting: https://arstechnica.com/science/2020...ied-in-the-us/
                  sigpic

Comment

Electrics are relatively inexpensive compared to Hydrogen so they're popular now. People understand electricity and accept it. Mini Hindenburgs not so much. Education a must.

There is actually more heavy metal waste per KW of electricity from solar panels versus nuclear. Yucca mountain still exists. If we could have a real scientific eval without politics it might be usable.
                    sigpic

Comment

• “Reconsidering the Risks of Nuclear Power”
                      http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/20...nuclear-power/
                      My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
                      http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

Working...
                      X