No announcement yet.

Life update from Canada's plague hotspot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've quit wearing any kind of mask anywhere. Texas has been 100% open for months, I'm months past second vax, and when I tried to make an appointment for my son to get the vax when he came home from university, they had appointments available the same day. I do feel bad for folks who cannot get vaxxed for medical reasons, but, I'm done masking.
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

It's easy to see why the US has the highest (officially) death rate in the world from Covid-19

There's a large percentage of (ridiculous) people that wouldn't/won't wear masks, won't vaccinate, some that think it's fake, etc.

And we're not out of the woods yet. How long will the vaccination last? How will the vaccination stand up
      to new variants. At first they where hoping vaccines would provide protection for around 6 +/- months and hoping
      to just have to vaccinate annually. Ongoing research on that but still unknown.

Booster shots probably next.

In the US we're currently running around 750,000 cases and 15,000 deaths from covid for the month of May!
      Down from the peaks but still a crazy number.

Seeing people run around like it's over is stunning.

I'll be masking and staying away from crowds, transit, public gatherings,etc at least until the death rates fall to a rate more
      like the annual influenza which was around 6,000 deaths for the year in 2019.

Look at our Australian brothers, running around 18 cases a day and currently "0" daily deaths, population adjusted to US would be around 252 cases a day,
      and a total population adjusted of 12,000 deaths compared to our almost 600,000 deaths,
      They see "5" cases in a town and they lock it down. Kudos for them for saving lives.

OK, I'm off my soap box. You mouth breathers do what you want.

Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

Eyes wide closed. Peace

Comment

Originally posted by piken View Post
          And we're not out of the woods yet. How long will the vaccination last? How will the vaccination stand up
          to new variants. At first they where hoping vaccines would provide protection for around 6 +/- months and hoping
          to just have to vaccinate annually. Ongoing research on that but still unknown.
          Here's some good news for you...

Mild COVID-19 induces lasting antibody protection, study finds

People who have had mild illness develop antibody-producing cells that can last lifetime

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0524110135.htm

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by ramblin66 View Post
            Here's some good news for you...

Mild COVID-19 induces lasting antibody protection, study finds

People who have had mild illness develop antibody-producing cells that can last lifetime

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0524110135.htm
            All good if you only get mild covid!
            "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
            99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Originally posted by Moise View Post

All good if you only get mild covid!
              Well, TBH, the vast majority of those afflicted did not wind up in hospital.
              I did find it interesting that they were uncertain about whether sever cases would have similar long term immunity.

Broadly, if true, I think that study is pretty good news.

Comment

Originally posted by ramblin66 View Post

Well, TBH, the vast majority of those afflicted did not wind up in hospital.
                I did find it interesting that they were uncertain about whether sever cases would have similar long term immunity.

Broadly, if true, I think that study is pretty good news.
                It also depends how much the virus mutates in future. I expect we still have a way to go before with Covid we know what will happen long term.

I couldn't help noticing the next article in your link: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0407174321.htm

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Pretty sure we are doomed to annual vaccinations to deal with the latest mutations, as with the flu. Oh well.
                  "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

What I still find puzzling, is the "regular flu" has seem to have been forgotten. How convenient for the so called "experts"
                    This whole thing has been a test for what's coming. If someone believes the stats that these "experts" dish out, they are
                    as much of the problem as the virus itself.
                    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
                    but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Here in Connecticut, you only need wear masks if you are vaccinated, going into doctor's offices, pharmacies, and if the establishment wants you to wear one. They can refuse you service. I am two months out from my 2nd vaccine shot. Still wear the mask in places where there are lots of people, but having been exposed to some hazardous materials, such as beryllium, and Cyanide, working in the defense industries, my lungs are messed up. Sometimes breathing through those masks can be really hard. My Mom died of Covid when they took her from her nursing home to a hospital to get a hemoglobin test, 4 days later, she gets Covid, and dies in 3 days. She was 97, sharp as a needle, but was paralyzed the waste down. Truth be told, she had had enough of life, and her faith was such that she was waiting for her time. I can't help think that the lax attitude of the hospital they took her to could have prevented this, when the private nursing home had already closed it's doors to the public. I forgive the person(s) (people's) who infected her. Why carry that baggage around.

Covid is real, and the people who don't get the shots, and the ones who are carriers, will get the ones they love sick, who are not inoculated. If you don't get vaccinated, you are potential a walking, talking Petri dishes. Kind of selfish actually. IMHO.

Comment

Viruses are everywhere, always will be. I remember the Sars virus, the swine flu, and so on and so on.
                        I just consider the so called "experts" we have been getting inconsistent stats and figures from over the
                        past several months. A lot of them are on someones payroll and are just basically full of shit. Fauchi just
                        to name one. He's been proven more than once to be wrong on this issue. As far as us being "walking Petri dishes"
                        we as humans, will always be this way. As far as someone thinking I don't care because I don't wear an unproven
                        face covering mask, well, they can kiss my ass. We should have the choice not to, just like some have the choice to wear
                        one. If your mask works so damn good, then I don't need one. Thousands of people die from the flu, every year, they just
                        blew this one out of it's limits and blamed just about every death on it just to make it worse. Believe what you will.
                        "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
                        but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Meanwhile, Sydney is almost in lockdown with 21 cases. Masks there are mandatory, fines if you don't wear one.
                          Perth, Western Australia.
                          “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” - Oscar Wilde

Comment

I have seen all the videos of the people just who are about to die, wishing they had taken the shot, or the ones who barely made it, lamenting they didn't get a shot. Virus's are everywhere, but not manufactured ones, one ones purposely transferred from animals that humans would normally not be in contact with. That's called germ warfare. If it came out that a particular country in fact did do a viral attack on us, I wonder, would the nay Sayers take a bullet for their principles and not get the shot, or would they wave "Old Glory", and take a shot to not let those "Commies" get away with it. Personally, I don't care if people get shots or don't. Some people live so far out, their chances may be nil of being exposed to it, the others, well, that just lowers the surplus population. I do care if the little kids, who no one knows if they should get vaccinated, no one wants to see children die. I use a mask during flu season till I get the Flu shot. I've been exposed to radiation poisoning from a work related material(s) that kind of messed up my lungs, so for me, I have to be careful. I know some people who never get sick. As far as Fauci, or any expert, I'd be worried if they were always "right".

I usually ride alone, and I don't ride with people who don't wear the gear. I ride hard and fast, and don't want to be bothered with someone who gets something in their eye, or crashes, and it turns out than more just a matter of getting my trailer and picking up their mangled bike(s). I've had people crash behind me before, 2 ended up in the hospital with broken legs, I dove into a turn, and instead of realizing that he couldn't make the turn, the last guy hit the guy behind me, and they both got really messed up. That was a drag, but if they had not been well equipped, judging by their helmets, they would have been dead. The State Police asked me if we were speeding, I said "No", of course. The social group I know have all been vaccinated, and we get together, in small groups, and have barbecues. Things are loosening up here. Connecticut has a high vaccination rate. It's getting really normal around here, and their are an amazing amount of places that are hiring, opening up again, and lots of construction, lots of jobs, starting pay is usually around $17.50 an hour for unskilled laborers.

Comment

Originally posted by CHARLIE View Post
                              As far as someone thinking I don't care because I don't wear an unproven
                              face covering mask, well, they can kiss my ass. We should have the choice not to, just like some have the choice to wear
                              one. If your mask works so damn good, then I don't need one.
                              Just to be clear about masks.....

1. If I wear a basic cloth or accordion hospital mask, that protects you from me and to a much lesser extent protects me from inhaling something bad that came from someone else.

2. A "PROPERLY FITTED" N95 will protect both ways... You from me and me from you.

Rarely have I seen anyone wearing a properly fitted N95, except maybe me .

Wearing masks inside enclosed public spaces is a good idea. But it only works if most folks comply. Since a generic mask doesn't protect me from whatever someone else spews, having everyone wear a mask absolutely does reduce the amount of virus spewed inside closed public spaces. If mask use is minimal and you want to be protected, you'd best be wearing a properly fitted N95.

We could argue back and forth about mask wearing outdoors, but, IMO, unless you are in a crowded space, masks outdoors are just plain unnecessary. Pure virtue signaling.

/soapbox

FWIW.... Wife and I have some close friends that are having COVID run through their family right now. He did not get vaccinated. She did. They both have COVID right now. So does her mother and both of his parents. His mom is hospitalized. All 3 parents were vaccinated at least a month ago. Dr. says it's likely that the hospitalized mom would be dead if not previously vaccinated. She had COPD before COVID.

Comment

Working...
                              X