Winter Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Project

Working on the 1970 El Camino. As you might recall I bought it in June. It's pretty straight and unmolested but needs a little bit of everything. Last summer I replaced the entire exhaust system- ceramic coated headers, 2.5" pipe, Walker Turbo mufflers and some nice resonators. Right now I am finishing up putting Dyno-Mat type sound insultation on the floors, rear cab wall and doors; as well as putting carpeting on the rear wall. Good to see nice clean, recently replaced and painted floors under the newish carpeting. It should be MUCH quieter inside when I am done. I also am having the driver's side door hinges rebuilt, and installing a wing-window elimination kit- this will make the doors and windows look more like those on a 1970 hardtop Chevelle. New power window motors and door panels are happening as well. Finally, the little rack of aftermarket gauges was non-functional when I bought it, so a new pair of oil pressure and water temp gauges got installed. Next up will be wheels, tires and brakes... in the Spring.
    Attached Files
    "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Definitely looks like a clean, unmolested ride
    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

NICE keep us posted. Peace

Comment

Sweet ride.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Project Update-

This winter I decided to focus on making the car comfortable and pleasant to drive. So I ripped out the interior and tossed out that hideous dash and the rotting door panels. I ordered a new SS dash kit with the 6500 redline LS6 tach and got that installed, after cleaning the firewall, floors and back panel and layering dyno-mat type material and adding new carpeting. While it was apart I replaced the heater core and the fan motor, along with associated switches and relays. I put in a modern blue-tooth stereo that looks like factory and four new speakers. I ordered new door cards from OPGI and caved in to a desire to eliminate the wing windows with a kit from One Piece Windows. That was a challenging install and I am not yet happy with how the windows seal when up, but the new and lighter window motors are much faster than the old stockers and I think it looks slick. One more thing- I plan to switch to a manual transmission soon, so while I had the dash and column out I installed the clutch pedal system and Z bar.

The last item for this winter was wheels and tires. I plan to upgrade to larger brakes, so I went with 18" wheels. They are Rev "SS Magnum" style wheels- 8" wide in front and 9" in the rear. Tires are BFG G-Force TA's 275-40 in the rear and 245-45 in the front. I am pleased to report they fit perfectly! I will be fitting "SS" center spinners soon for a nice retro look.

Next up is dealing with my rotting roof. I plan to strip the old vinyl off and install a new roof- looks like $500 for a roof panel. I am confident I can do the metal work to replace the roof and rotted metal around the window frames. Then a new vinyl top and headliner will be installed. That project will be followed by a brake and suspension upgrade, possibly this year but maybe next. The future holds a 383 small block at about 450 HP with a Tremec TKX 5 speed. ELWT4.jpg ELWT3.jpg ELWT5.jpg

The car now drives much nicer and is much quieter inside.

Comment

Looking good Greg!

Clean and simple lines.

Can't see any roof rust in the pics
            I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG O View Post
              Looking good Greg!

Clean and simple lines.

Can't see any roof rust in the pics
              Oh the rust is there, hiding under the vinyl. When you get close you can see lots of big blisters under the vinyl. Pretty scary.

Comment

Pretty much every vinyl top top car I ever had ended up with rust underneath. Nice project there.
                Looking good so far. Reminds me of my old Chevelle SS days, had a couple, great cars.
                "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
                but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Air shocks & Posi-Track? would love to see a MC in the back.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bctrout View Post
                    Air shocks & Posi-Track? would love to see a MC in the back.
                    Air shocks are there- and they look pretty new and hold air well. Posi coming for sure! I will load up the KE175 and take a pic one of these days just for you Gordo!

G

Comment

Working...
                    X