2020 Hare Scramble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 Hare Scramble

Did my second hare scramble of the year on Sunday. The first one was 2 weeks ago and the course was really tough, tons of deep sand, and a lot of tight technical single track. I spent so much time getting out of the way of the faster riders in the tight stuff that I decided to do only one lap. Kinda bummed me out, but I wasn't really riding well and I just got tired of pulling off the trail over and over.

Fast forward to this past Sunday and the course was a totally different beast. Very fast and open, with some deep sand sections, some tight trail, but lumpy everywhere. Very few places to relax. I rode much better, the inevitiable passes came much later in the race, and I actually made some passes and mixed it up with some of the other riders. Fell 3 times, and got knocked off once. Pressed hard for 1.5 laps and then hit the wall. It was 90 degrees and I did not take any water. All the bumps, which require getting up off the seat, finally got the better of me and I pretty much just took it easy the last 3-4 miles. Still, at the end, I was totally done in. It took over an hour to catch my breath and start to feel like I was not going to pass out. All in all, it was a super day. Two friends also raced that day. One, a woman of 28 years, started the race with a broken bone in her foot. She totally looped her bike at the start and only completed one lap. The other, a 30 y/o dude, finished 9th in his class and completed 3 laps. I think I was somewhere around 275th out of 325 riders in my race. I race in the morning, and there is an afternoon race which generally has faster riders. Between the Peewees, quads and bikes, there were 950 entrants. The peewees, quads, and beginner bikes run on staturday with two main races on sunday. I think I should have started with with saturday.lol

I am always amazed by the other competitors. I see obese, old men out there running really fast laps. Women that place in the top 50 out 600 riders. Even a 65+ rider that placed in the top 50. The same is true of riders on the street. You just can't judge a book by its cover.

Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

Way to get out there and race again! Awesome to hear about the eclectic group of riders and abilities. Any pics?
      My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
      http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

I did have a gopro mounted to my chest protector, but it is hard to watch. It does however, give a good idea of how rough the course was. I could put some up but I bet you turn it off after 30 seconds.

Yesterday was the first day that I could move around w/o too much soreness. The second and third days post race were pretty humbling.

Have not looked at the upcoming schedule. In the past, either the first half of the season falls on my weekend off with second half falling on days that I work. I may try to get in one or two more before the switch. We'll see. Right now I am yearning for some pleasant trail rides but, that old desire to better your last performance usually crawls into my head pretty quick, so we'll see.

Comment

Cooler weather, and a worn out front tire has me thinking of mounting up some fresh rubber and doing a track day. It's been way too long.

Comment

Originally posted by mehush View Post
            Cooler weather, and a worn out front tire has me thinking of mounting up some fresh rubber and doing a track day. It's been way too long.
            Just did another track-day today, and the weather was near perfect. Finally, some cooler temps Just do it! (I think that may make a helluva marketing slogan)

My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
            http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

Originally posted by spedxprt View Post

Just do it! (I think that may make a helluva marketing slogan)
              Uhhh, I believe somebody has already used that one

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Working...
              X