Just wanting to vent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wanting to vent.

So I have been in my position as Fleet and Facilities Manager for the Roto-Rooter in Tulsa for seven years. I had a raise after 90 days and another at three years. I never really ask for anything from them and I have done everything the owner has asked of me since day one. The fleet has grown by about two thirds since I started and I now technically manage four employees (I was only in charge of one when I started) but two of them are fairly autonomous and I don't really direct what they do daily. We moved to a new facility about four years ago that tripled our footprint. I asked for a raise two months ago and a month later he told me he was working on the numbers. Last week I had gone to talk to him about the paint color for a project because it his company and I will always defer to him when it comes to aesthetics (I need to say here that a few months back my camaro spun a rod bearing and I don't have the 3500 bucks to spend on rebuilding the engine so I have had it parked under a cover on the back lot) At the end of our conversation he says: As far as the raise goes it's not going to happen right now AND your car can't sit here forever (that was the entire pay raise conversation).

Well needless to say I was just a bit taken aback by that. I get that it is his business and he can do what he wants and believe me he isn't hurting for money but hell I was only hoping to get a one or two dollars an hour. They have raised their rates at least twice a year since I started and the plumbers (who are on commission) get an automatic raise each time. So now I understand why some other long term employees have left and told me it was because they didn't feel valued by the company.
    I might not have been this pissed off if he had given me an answer right away or even if he hadn't thrown in the line about my car but considering it took him two months (during which he took two vacations) and that he has let a plumber leave his broken down van there for over six months I think I'm pretty justified in being pissed off.

The same afternoon at our managers meeting he told us that our IT guy who has been there 19 years was looking for another job and that we should tell the other employees that if they are thinking of leaving they should tell us so we can start looking for a replacement. What The F*ck is wrong with this guy?
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.

Can't blame you for being pissed! But it sounds like you have a license to start looking for your next opportunity with no regrets. It took me nearly a whole career to find a firm where I feel valued and treated fairly, but it was worth the wait. Best of luck to you!

G
    "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

Tulsa! I'm a few hours southwest in Altus.

Your boss (owner) sounds like many others. There are many positions were there is no raise, no matter how long you're there. Now you know where he stands and where you are. Translate that into, the best job you get is the one you get while working. First thing I would do is call a tow truck and get the car out of the lot, or get a buddy to drag it out. Boss has made it clear it isn't acceptable. Regardless of what others there have done, it isn't acceptable now. Double standard? Most likely, yet the conversations the other employee had, you may not have been privy too. Even if you stay, getting the car out is a good move and one which shows you did listen to him. Next, start actively shopping your skills, and not just fleet management. Finally, don't be remiss and not provide him 2 weeks notice when you pull out. I guarantee it will be uncomfortable and at some point, it will be clear you're shopping. Timing is everything but something will pop for you. Be nothing but professional and as close to a model employee while you're still there. Give no cause for premature termination.

Last job, I loved. Then it changed to schedule driven and not quality driven, it wasn't fun anymore. My worst fears were someone is going to get seriously hurt or killed and I didn't want to be associated. Two close calls happened to me and I was not sticking around for a third. I changed jobs 5 months ago. I informed my 2 immediate supervisors and a couple other mechanics who truly needed to know. Over the next 3 weeks I trained those who the supervisor directed and gave no indication I was leaving while training them. A few had a thought I was on the exit path, yet everyone found out the day I didn't show up. Now, same company, way different job. Stepped into a job I thought I was prepared for. Turned out, I was not as prepared and what feels like, on many days, I'm in way over my head. Wouldn't change it though. Just have to keep moving forward and decrease the learning curve as I go.

You got this but don't sell yourself short, seriously. Times are tough, yet perseverance will overcome.

Comment

Move the car and then move you

That being said, I definitely wouldn't give him reason to terminate you unless you had something line up.

Or

Let him terminate you for no cause and then draw unemployment on his ass.

You'l get your raise for as long as the politicians allow it and stick it in his ass with unemployment insurance.

Good luck with whatever you do Sam
        I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Time to look for a new job.
          Mostly Stock '03
          Support a starving author!
          www.vanstry.net

Comment

Obviously the first thing I did was move Zellda (my Car). I have had three phone interviews (two with the same company) After having some time to cool off I have decided I will give him two weeks notice when I have a new position and he can do what he wants from there. One company builds mobile telescoping towers and is looking for someone to run roughshod over the operation to bring quality control up to snuff and it sounds like a great position to build from the other is a very well known charity organization (think brass band and red kettles at Xmas) with a maintenance manager position that although doesn't have much opportunity for big money would fit well with my skills and leave me with a sense of doing something for the greater good. Both would pull me further away from constantly turning wrenches which is fine by me (and my more and more arthritic hands). Better days lie ahead.

Comment

Those both sound like good opportunities. One suggestion: Don't burn any bridges with your current employer. Graceful, professional transitions pay the most rewards in the long run, for everyone. 'Take this job and shove it' makes for a good song, but not a good way to live. I'm guessing you already know this, considering your 'cool off' remark. My .02 FWIW.

Good luck!
              How To Cheat on Personality Tests
              1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
              (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
              (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
              (c) I never worry much about anything.
              (d) I don't care for books or music much.
              (e) I love my wife and children.
              (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
              From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

After 50 years as an employer before retiring just a few years back, I have a somewhat different perspective from the other side of the desk.
                Employees expect to earn more $ for simply sticking around over time, this differs from the boss' perspective. The employer expects that the longer a person is on the job, the more effective they are, therefore worth more to the company than a newer hire. You are now supervising more workers than when you started, and doing who knows what else additional. A newer hire will only know the basics and will have to learn over time how to be as valuable as you. If you like this job, do your best to list what value you provide that a replacement won't provide...and do your best to put a $ value on the service your years on staff are bringing the firm, and share that with the boss. He just wants to get his money's worth and hasn't put it into words. Give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by dbsuperbiker View Post
                  After 50 years as an employer before retiring just a few years back, I have a somewhat different perspective from the other side of the desk.
                  Employees expect to earn more $ for simply sticking around over time, this differs from the boss' perspective. The employer expects that the longer a person is on the job, the more effective they are, therefore worth more to the company than a newer hire. You are now supervising more workers than when you started, and doing who knows what else additional. A newer hire will only know the basics and will have to learn over time how to be as valuable as you. If you like this job, do your best to list what value you provide that a replacement won't provide...and do your best to put a $ value on the service your years on staff are bringing the firm, and share that with the boss. He just wants to get his money's worth and hasn't put it into words. Give it a try.
                  Seriously Arthur if he valued me as an employee he could have A) discussed this “ In a couple of weeks” like he first said and we could have had an in depth conversation about it which I was prepared to do. B) He could have at that point said: I’m sorry but we can’t afford to give you a raise right now. Or C) said: I don’t feel that your performance merits a raise at this time. But instead he strung me along for TWO MONTHS and said at the end of a conversation about something unrelated and I quote “Oh about that raise, it’s not gonna happen right now AND your car can’t sit here forever”. That was the entire conversation about a raise. Considering all that I have taken on in the last several years I am being way more effective at my job than ever before.
                  You do realize that I have been on the other end of this tale also, and although the largest number of people I have employed at one time was seven I still dealt with them with compassion. He dismissed me as if I was some temp hire peon.
                  I would have been happy with a dollar an hour because this was just as much about how I am seen as it was about being able to pay the bills never mind the fact that the plumbing industry is booming because of all of the people using their household plumbing at an incredibly higher rate being stuck at home.
                  The only “sharing” with my boss (since he seems to prefer one sided conversations) will be when I hand him my two week notice.
                  I appreciate your “Employer’s” perspective but the only relevance to this situation is that it allowed me to explain my situation in depth.
                  Last edited by oldgreykaw; 11-05-2020, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by reidmct View Post
                    Those both sound like good opportunities. One suggestion: Don't burn any bridges with your current employer. Graceful, professional transitions pay the most rewards in the long run, for everyone. 'Take this job and shove it' makes for a good song, but not a good way to live. I'm guessing you already know this, considering your 'cool off' remark. My .02 FWIW.

Good luck!
                    Yeah Reid, I’ve cooled down. I had my third interview with the non profit today and it looks pretty good. I’ll keep you guys posted.

Comment

There's nothing worse than an employer who doesn't value their most important commodity- their employees. I've been a supervisor/manager for more than 30 years and always prided myself on recognizing my employee's good work, longevity, personal/professional improvements, customer service skills, etc. And even if the ability to get a raise in pay or benefits wasn't in my power, I've strived to make sure they know how much I've appreciated their efforts & growth- public commendations, taking them out for lunch, dinner, awards, sneaking them time off as needed, etc. Your boss is pitiful. I hope you find better employment elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by spectreman View Post
                        There's nothing worse than an employer who doesn't value their most important commodity- their employees. I've been a supervisor/manager for more than 30 years and always prided myself on recognizing my employee's good work, longevity, personal/professional improvements, customer service skills, etc. And even if the ability to get a raise in pay or benefits wasn't in my power, I've strived to make sure they know how much I've appreciated their efforts & growth- public commendations, taking them out for lunch, dinner, awards, sneaking them time off as needed, etc. Your boss is pitiful. I hope you find better employment elsewhere.
                        You are So right. I try to tell my guys what a good job they are doing whenever I can. If nothing else it can give someone the confidence to move forward and better themselves.

Comment

So now an update: I was offered the position at the non-profit and I accepted. It is about a 15% pay increase, a salaried position, better and cheaper benefits, easier and cleaner work. So I went to my boss and gave him my two week notice and although I know I shouldn't I took great pleasure in watching his jaw physically drop to his desk. I was a bit shocked when he asked me why and so I told him the truth about how I had asked for a raise and was brushed off twice and that after two months he told me (and I quoted him) "Oh about that raise; it isn't going to happen right now AND your car can't sit here forever" I told him that to be dismissed like that made me feel that I was not of any value to his company and at that point it was time to move on. He asked me if we could discuss this and I told him that not discussing it to begin with was the problem. He asked me to please stay the two weeks and if he could get someone hired could I train them. I told him that wouldn't be a problem.
                          The next day he called me in and proceeded to tell me that they always felt like we were a family there and that if I ever needed anything, a favor, a reference or whatever to please come to them. He told me they hoped I would stop by once in a while to let them know how things were going, etc. and maybe I am just being cynical here but he never once used the words "I" or "me" in this conversation. It was like he was trying to do a "Mea Culpa" but just couldn't get there. I guess you have to take what you can get.
                          My last day is the day before Thanksgiving and the first day of the next chapter in my life is the following monday. I am excited for this new beginning.

Comment

Sounds like a good outcome for you, and the right time to move on and do something different.
                            "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                            99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Outstanding- congratulations!
                              Lee

Comment

Working...
                              X