Back For More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back For More

Wee ha. First ride on the dirt bike in three months. Broken collar bone was slow to heal (pretty sure I did more damage than just the broken bone). Shoulder is plenty sore today, but so is the rest of the bod. 50 miles in around 3 hours of riding. A mix of fire roads, single track, and a little bit of boondocking. 95 degrees, sweating like a pig, legs and hands begging for mercy, loving every minute of it. Me and another 60+. Last time we rode together was 3 months ago and I came away with a bad shoulder, and he a jammed up back. Yesterdays mission was to come back the same way we started out. Friggin awesome time. Awesome dude. A few close calls, like nearly cross-rutting at over 40 mph, and losing concentration for a moment and nearly getting intimate with a tree. Left literally nothing on the table. I was completely spent when we got back.

If anyone out there is on the fence about whether to ride dirt or not, JUST DO IT. Doesn't matter if you are 5, or 105 y/o. JUST DO IT. Yes, you will get hurt, it's part of it, and nearly guaranteed. But the rewards are tremendous. And dirtbikes are sooo much cooler than streetbikes. Think I'm wrong? Get one and find out.

I have a 2003 KLX400 I putt around the local desert with. I actually ride this more than the ZED.

Circle of Life. Started riding in the dirt and and slowly working my way back to the dirt.

Comment

If I had somewhere local that I could ride a dirt bike I would probably invest in one.

Unfortunately, I don't. i'd have to load it in the back of the truck and haul it 20 miles just to do it.

Glad you are healing up and having fun Mike
      I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

I did the dirt years ago. I will agree, it's beyond fun. I just can't do it anymore. Ride on Sunday, hurt like hell til Wednesday.
        Only dirt I do these days is in a Kawasaki Mule or a John Deer Gator helping a friend move his cows from pasture to pasture.
        I came to realize several years ago I can't do the dirt justice any longer. Getting old sux. The dirt is super fun though.
        "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
        but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Originally posted by squeaks View Post
          I have a 2003 KLX400 I putt around the local desert with. I actually ride this more than the ZED.

Circle of Life. Started riding in the dirt and and slowly working my way back to the dirt.
          Cool ride. I think Kawasaki just introduced an all new KLX300 this year. What I have seen has been positive.

I would love to try some desert riding. But that happenin' in FL.

We went through some pretty deep water the other day too. My friend got bogged down with the water just a couple of inches from the bottom of his seat. Thought for sure it was gonna suck some into the intake. Nope, just kept plowing through.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG O View Post
            If I had somewhere local that I could ride a dirt bike I would probably invest in one.

Unfortunately, I don't. i'd have to load it in the back of the truck and haul it 20 miles just to do it.

Glad you are healing up and having fun Mike
            To trail ride I have to drive about 60 miles one way. The drive home afterward is glorious.

There is an MX track about 15 miles away, and I have done some track riding, but the trail is where its at for me.

If we lived closer I would set you up for a ride. I think if you went a few times you would find some joy.

Brad (Kat) is the one that got me thinking about it several years ago. He was describing his experience at a hare scramble and I was intrigued. Not long after, a friend at work offered me the use of his spare bike for a day, and I was hooked.

Comment

Originally posted by CHARLIE View Post
              I did the dirt years ago. I will agree, it's beyond fun. I just can't do it anymore. Ride on Sunday, hurt like hell til Wednesday.
              Only dirt I do these days is in a Kawasaki Mule or a John Deer Gator helping a friend move his cows from pasture to pasture.
              I came to realize several years ago I can't do the dirt justice any longer. Getting old sux. The dirt is super fun though.
              I know that day is coming all too quickly for me too. If I can still do it at age 70 I will be a rare bird. I see a lot of 40's, 50's, and some 60's. But I have not ridden with a 70+ yet. Crossing fingers nothing comes along to make me want/need to stop. And yup, I know I am riding on borrowed bones. Think I got lucky with my gene set. Feel pretty damned healthy for my age.

Comment

Working...
              X