Australia On Fire...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australia On Fire...

Just wanted to send our best wishes to all of our members in Australia.

Hope you all stay safe and out of the way.

For reference: https://abcnews.go.com/International...ry?id=68102703

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

As do I.

Please post up if you guys can. and let us know how things are going.

Hope everyone is safe.
    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Thanks gents.
      That map is very inaccurate. The world seems to think that all of Australia is on fire, whereas it simply isn't so.
      Fires are currently in the east of Australia (Gippsland in Victoria), south-east of New South Wales, and some in the Blue Mountains (New South Wales).
      A large fire is also near Norseman, Western Australia.
      Kangaroo Island, off the South Australian coast, is also experiencing a large fire.
      There were some large fires in some parts of Queensland, but these are under control.

My estimate is that roughly 1% of the country is on fire.
      Bushfires occur every summer in this country. Due to the current drier than usual conditions, they are worse than usual, and harder to control. Compare this to the Californian fires of recent times.

Lives and property have been lost unfortunately, as well as large numbers of native animals and livestock. Volunteer fire fighters have been at it for many weeks trying to control these fires, with the aid of water bombers. A lot of these fires are in areas that are difficult to access. In some cases, entire small townships have been lost.

One contributing factor, in my opinion, is the amount of undergrowth in these regions. Normally, preventitive burns take care of excess undergrowth (fuel loads), but as mentioned, some areas are difficult to access. Furthermore (not just my opinion), environmentalists and green-leaning interests have promoted the greening of Australia and actively campaigned against the preventative burns.

Quite a few of the fires were started by dry lightning, others by mongrel arsonists.

From news sourses:

>>>
      More than 180 alleged arsonists have been arrested since the start of the bushfire season, with 29 blazes deliberately lit in the Shoalhaven region of southeast NSW in just three months.

Police arrested 183 people for lighting bushfires across Queensland, NSW, Victoria, South Australia and Tasmania in the past few months. NSW police data shows that since November 8, 24 people have been arrested for deliberately starting bushfires, while 183 people have been charged or cautioned for bushfire-related offences. These offences include discarding lit cigarettes, setting off fireworks and failing to comply with a total fire ban. Queensland police say 101 people have been picked up for setting fires in the bush, 32 adults and 69 juveniles.

In Tasmania, where fires have sprung up in the north of the state and outside Hobart, five were caught setting fire to vegetation. Victoria reported 43 charged for 2019.
      The Shoalhaven fires were lit between July and September last year, with Kempsey recording 27 deliberately lit fires, NSW Bureau of Crime and Statistics and Research data shows.
      >>>

Anyway, a cyclone that has just crossed in to Western Australia's north-west coast may carry sufficient strength to travel inland towards the south, hopefully dumping large amounts of rain near the Norseman fire. Some of this weather pattern may travel east and bring some rainfall there. Another cyclone is set to form near Darwin, which will provide similar (map).

Times like these cause many people to comment on government efforts to alleviate the situation. Half the country complained about our Prime Minister being on holidays in Hawaii when these fires were on. Each to their own. We now get a lot of celebrities voicing their opinions and advice on social media. Some of them are raising money (good on them) to provide support for mostly unpaid volunteer firefighters, and for the repair of damage.

It is traumatic for all those affected by these fires.

I hope this clear it all up somewhat.
      Last edited by BillDownUnder; 01-07-2020, 06:14 PM.
      Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Looks like we have our very own in house reporter, with the location accuracy.
        You be safe and keep us informed. Looks like a damn mess down there.
        "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
        but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Interesting read ]here."]https://www.news.com.au/technology/online/fake-and-misleading-images-of-australias-bushfire-crisis-are-being-circulated/news-story/ce1a7def75e87e5a0146116c6eb734f6]here.[/url]
          Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Comment

Good read. Damn "fake news" is everywhere.
            "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
            but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Appreciate the "actual" information Bill.

Thankfully it isn't as wide spread as it has been reported but I'm sure even at 1% quite a few are affected.

Hopefully you guys will get rain soon and some if not all of the fires will be extinguished or at least be reduced enough to be manageable by fire crews.

Stay safe.

Mike

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

This website (click) shows the map in the 1st post above.
                However, if you zoom in a reasonable amount, it becomes a little more realistic.

Comment

I'll never complain about too much rain here in the UK again! Scary shit! Firefighters rock!!
                  Young riders pick a destination and go. Old riders pick a direction and go.
                  A motorcycle can't sing on the streets of a city.

Comment

Originally posted by BillDownUnder View Post
                    This website (click) shows the map in the 1st post above.
                    However, if you zoom in a reasonable amount, it becomes a little more realistic.
                    Thanks for the link... I only found the image that wasn't zoomable...

My daughter was worried about some friends in Collaroy, North of Sydney. Looks like they're in the clear.. I'll pass that along.
                    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Working...
                    X