X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnnyvee
    started a topic knee surgery

knee surgery

ZZR nation, I had knee arthroscopy on April 3rd. I had a torn meniscus, and there was a piece of a bone floating around in there also. I had it drained yesterday. He took out 76cc of blood and fluid. It has been a rough 2 weeks. I start PT on Monday the 22nd. Will do 2-3 days a week for 4 weeks. I am still on crutches. Can't put any weight on it, and the range of motion is pretty bad. I sure hope the PT helps. johnnyvee

• reidmct
    replied
    It takes us older guys (I'm 61) longer to recover from injury/surgery. Still, it beats not getting the damage fixed.

I'm three years post-op (meniscus tear and ACL transplant) and I'm still improving. That said, the majority of the recovery was over within about 8 weeks. It sounds like you are having maybe just a bit tougher time than I did at the stage you're at, but not much. My range of motion came back pretty fast, though I had residual swelling for many weeks. Within a year I was about 85 percent recovered. It took over two years to get to where I seldom awoke with pain from sleeping position of the knee.

I do spinning classes. The surgeon said it helps smooth out the tear to do non-impact exercises such as cycling. Plus it's intense cardio if you attend classes for young folks. I'm the oldest one in my class, but far from the slowest!

Hang in there. As if you have a choice, right? If you're like me, you'll get a lot better pretty soon, and then continue slowly getting even better for a long time.

Leave a comment:

• johnnyvee
    replied
    Thanks Troy, Amen brother, it would be my honor.

Leave a comment:

• ZZ-r
    replied
    Keep a pushing Johnny hope to ride with you again some day. Prace

Leave a comment:

• johnnyvee
    replied
    Update. Just completed my 3rd week of PT. Progress and improvement has been slow. My range of motion is pretty good at 125 degrees, 135 is max. I don't use the crutches any longer, but I have to be careful twisting. My knee is still swollen, stiff and sore in spots. I have been told that this could take longer to heal than having knee replacement, and it could be 3-4 months. I will go for another week of PT. I go back to the surgeon on the 17th. I think it needs drained again. Don't know if I will ride the ZZR this summer or not. I definitely won't be on the 400 triple. It was the right knee that got operated on, so I don't think I can kick start that bike. I ice and elevate it as best I can, and stretch and exercise. I got my bicycle out and can pedal it, so I think can only help. This has been a real S.O.B. Sure hope it heals. Thanks, johnnyvee

Leave a comment:

• BIG O
    replied
    No pain no gain

Keep at it Johnny!

Leave a comment:

• NotDeadYet
    replied
    Good to hear you’re on the road to recovery.

Leave a comment:

• johnnyvee
    replied
    Update, I finished my first week of PT. I went 3 days this week. The first day was not very intense. The next 2 days were better. I am scheduled for 3 days next week. I can see improved range of motion. I still have pain issues around my knee cap. He said that the nerve endings were messed with, so it will take some time to heal. I still apply ice as much as possible, as I still have swelling. I can get by using one crutch now instead of two. I hope that in 3-4 week that I am back to at least 75-80%. It has been 3 weeks since my surgery, and its been a bear. Thanks for the encouragement, johnnyvee

Leave a comment:

• 9am53
    replied
    Hi, I'm new here but I'll chime in anyways. My wife had a very similar surgury last february. Her knee was fractured 4 times and never healed properly, they had to rebuild her ACL and move some bone from her shin around...it was pretty serious. She followed the directions of the doctors and started excercising the knee to build up muscles and did all of her physiotherapy as prescribed. A year later her knee is better than ever. We went skiing this past winter, she can run, she can drunkenly dance with her friends at weddings...all the stuff she could hope to do and has zero pain.

Leave a comment:

• NotDeadYet
    replied
    I’ve had 3 similar knee surgeries over the years. Two on were on my left knee, they were both arthroscopic, the other was on my right, it was many years ago and it was a much more invasive surgery.

I am 65 and I can still do everything I want with no issues except run, I find my kness don’t like the pounding running places on them anymore. I’ve walked 1000 mile thru hikes, climbed mountains, ski aggressively and generally lead a very active and very physical lifestyle with minimal pain or discomfort.

I have found the quicker you can get moving after surgery the quicker you recover. Listen to your physio therapist. Work on range of motion, cycling or riding a stationary bike is good for that. I found working on range of motion in a warm water pool helped a lot too. Get walking and bearing weight as soon as possible. Start gently doing all 3 as soon as you can. Walking, riding and warm water therapy are your friends, they were the key to my recoveries after each surgery. The longer you are off that leg the longer the recovery process takes.
    helps too. Tylenol for pain and ibuprofen for inflammation can be your friends. My motto is better living through pharmaceuticals.

Work hard at it and you will be amazed how quick it can come back. Get better soon!!
    Last edited by NotDeadYet; 04-19-2019, 11:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CHARLIE
    replied
    10 years past, back surgery for me. PT PT PT, that's the trick I found out. Lot's of walking (when you can) and
    riding a bike (the pedaling type) worked for me. I was 49 then, I'd hate to go through it again, but it worked.
    Knees, can't help with that one, lucky to have 2 good strong one's myself. Good luck with the recovery.

Leave a comment:

• mehush
    replied
    Surgeon don't care. Got his money. PT is where it's at. As stated, do the work, enjoy the pain, get back as much as you can.

Leave a comment:

• CrazyTrain
    replied
    I hope you have indeed made a change for the better. Get well soon, JV

Leave a comment:

• ramblin66
    replied
    Pay attention to what the PT says. Do the work, especially the at home work. Cheating on it is only cheating yourself and your recovery.

Speaking from first hand experience on all of that. Don't be the old me, be the new me.

Best wishes for a fast and full recovery.

Leave a comment:

• BIG O
    replied
    Sorry to hear about the knee surgery Johnny.

I know physical therapy sucks as I had shoulder surgery and therapy a couple of years ago.

Good news is that I was able to get over 95% mobility and strength back.

It seems like it will never get better but it does.

Just keep pushing forward.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X