• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tried SLING TV?

Researching other TV options

Anybody use Sling TV?

Opinions?
    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

I used it long time ago. almost all the cable companies now offer remote access to your DVR so its kind of a mute point now

Comment

I looked at Sling a while ago. To expensive. Like $25 month? Plus $5 more per month for sports package?

I "cut the cord" around 2 years ago from Directv and now have "much more" for a "lot less".

Last straw when I wanted to upgrade Directv to HD and they wouldn't sell me the equipment, lease only $10-$15 a month and then wanted extra $10 a month for HD service
      on top of the around $100 I was already paying.

Now have.....

Netflix = $11 month

Amazon Video (included with Prime) =$120 year ($10 month)

Vudu = $0 (good for streaming video locker, part of the ultraviolet program. When you buy movie on blue ray disk, will
      have ultraviolet code to unlock movie on Vudu and can stream anytime.

Tivo OTA (over the air) Covers around 30 local live HD channels, via antenna, CBS, NBC, etc. (DVR, program guide, season pass recording, live TV, 4 tuners) = $15 month

and

IPTV Service = $6-$7 month There's a lot of IPTV providers out there and several ways to get to your TV. I use Amazon Fire Stick with
      STB emulator app loaded on it and works great.

What do IPTV services offer, well, like everything. Pretty much all live cable channels (from several countries ), Video on demand (pretty much all movies),
      TV series, (complete seasons, pretty much all TV series, including those from AMC, A&E, HBO, like game of thrones, walking dead, etc, no commercials and
      new episodes usually up next day)
      adult movies and channels, sports packages baseball, football, etc. PPV and more. Have program guides, but no DVR facilitate.
      So you can watch live broadcast motoGP, WSBK, etc from the UK channels where they do broadcast free, but hard to tune in at right times, etc.

Search IPTV reviews. It's a little shady. Finding decent provider can be difficult, setting up equipment can be difficult depending on knowledge of this kind of stuff.
      streaming/service can be sketchy depending on provider.

But at around $6 a month, I don't get to bitchy.

I found a pretty good IPTV service, but hard to recommend unless you already know how to set up and use. There's no instructions on site at all for anything,
      and if you try to email support, well, here's email reply I got one time, which I find hilarious. but you may not have the sense of humor like I do......

Response from support ticket...

---clip---
      You have a fucking reading problem. It said do not send a fucking ticket. Simply reply to the fucking email with your mac address and your login will be emailed back. Sincerely, ---clip---

hahaha...... Best customer service reply ever!

So all together around $42.00 a month for everything and then some.

I know I've gone far from the posted topic, but thought I might throw some suggestions out there for
      anyone that doesn't know some of this exists.

Last edited by piken; 01-04-2019, 11:05 PM.
      Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

Thanks for all of the info Piken. Unfortunately, I'm not tech savy so that's all over my head.

I am/was just trying to find a more economical way to view Moto GP.

Looks like I'm just going to stick with my current DirecTV set up and get the video pass.

Here is the corresponding thread:

https://zzrbikes.com/forum/general-z...iewing-options

Thanks

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

We cut the cable last year and are using DirectTVNow for TV streaming. Upgraded our internet to 150/150 and saved about $100/month all together. DTVNow has been acceptable. A few hiccups with performance (cut out twice watching the BCS finals yesterday!!, but that's pretty uncommon) and the cloud DVR needs some work, but overall it's a better value than paying Verizon (now Frontier) for all their gear and stupid-expensive HD feed.

FWIW.
          “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Patty and I have been using it for over 3 years and loved it. We have Amazon Prime and don't do a lot with that since we like to watch live sports and sling it stops for live sports. With the sports package for five bucks extra and the orange package we get about 8 ESPN channels plus MotoGP, be in sports and a lot of other things including the outside Channel which is all about extreme sports and people that do them. We don't get Fox but we do get CNN and we don't watch either one. I'd rather read my new so I don't have to listen to The Talking Heads but that's just a personal preference. I love sling because there's no contract, we've never had an outage, we have a hundred Meg AT&T fiber internet. We use an Amazon fire stick and have the sling app on it. We love it!
            2002 Kawasaki ZZR1200, 2007 DRZ400SM Suzuki, 2004 Suzuki SV65
            Responsible for wrenching on all those plus my daughters' 2007 ZZR 600
            US Review http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ro...kes/index.html
            EU Review http://www.motorbikestoday.com/revie...es/ZZR1200.htm

Comment

We basically watch HGTV, History, Motortrend / Velocity, Nat Geo, Animal Planet and a few others as well as our local channels. problem is to get one you have to subscribe for 100 others! Bunch of shit I don't need or want but still have to pay for.

Kinda like cars and motorcycles.

Can't just buy a stripped down version with all of the go fast goodies without having to get the "option" package

Comment

I thought that "directv now" streaming service mention above has pretty good base package that includes all the channels you just mentioned in the base package.

channels like velocity, a&e, amc are usually hidden in packages a step up.

for $40 a month and also includes "2" streams, 20hr cloud dvr and runs pretty much on all devices

Velocity is a must have!

Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

Working...
                X