New member from Massachusetts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member from Massachusetts

Hi All, figured I'd introduce myself. I'm Joe, but I go by CaptBanana online. A month or so ago I picked up a 2004 ZZR600 as a project. Needs a bunch of love but it was $1250 with 7500 miles on it so I figured it'd be a worthy beater bike and give me something to do over the winter. It's taking the place of my 2009 Ninja 500 as the beater/loaner/year-round machine in the interest of allowing me to preserve my first bike.

Started off with a valve adjustment while I waited for carb parts. A few valves were barely out of spec - not bad.
    I've ultrasonic'd + rebuilt the carbs, ultrasonic'd the front calipers and master cylinder, and done an oil change.
    Bike starts immediately, idles perfectly, and runs well in the low RPM but falls on its face in the mid-range due to the current lack of air filter.

Here's the list of remaining things to fix before it's ready for service:
    • Tires, air filter, and front brake lines all need replacement.
    • Tank needs a light cleaning inside.
    • Small coolant leak from radiator needs repair.
    • Chain needs tensioning, cleaning, and lubing.
    • Rear brake could use a teardown + cleaning.
    I'm looking forward to learning more and more about this bike. It's my first straight 4.
    My other bikes will be in my sig. I'm on their respective forums under the same username.

Pics to come.
    Cheers.

Edit: Can't seem to edit my sig. Oh well.
    Edit 2: There we go, thank you ramblin66 !
    Last edited by CaptBanana; 10-21-2021, 01:10 PM.
    '00 Honda VFR800
    '85 GPZ900R
    '09 Suzuki V-Strom 650
    '19 KTM 450 EXC-F Six Days
    '09 Ninja 500

Welcome ! Sounds like you got a nice deal !

Comment

Welcome CaptBanana

How to edit signature.... The place to click is a bit hidden, I agree...
      From the "Help" links at the bottom of the page...
      https://zzrbikes.com/help#account_ov..._signature_new

Sig.jpg
      “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Welcome. Looks like a good deal!
        I had my patience tested. I'm negative.

Comment

Comment

Well, I'm way ahead of schedule. The bike is done! The only remaining issue is the fuel gauge works when it wants to. Besides that, the cooling system "leak" may not have been a leak at all, but rather condensation from the partial heat cycling I had been doing trying to get to the bottom of the mid-range issue.

Including tax and title, I'm in the bike for less than $2k and will give it a good thrashing before potentially moving on to something a bit less antiquated.
            Or I could fall in love with the thing, we'll see.

Pics to come once I replace the mis-colored left mid panel.
            '00 Honda VFR800
            '85 GPZ900R
            '09 Suzuki V-Strom 650
            '09 Ninja 500

Comment

A solid running bike for $2K is a great deal. Congrats, and welcome to the site. Looking forward to the pics.

Comment

Welcome to the site.

Glad you were able to get the bike sorted and looking forward to the pics.

As for the bike being antiquated, it is.

However, it is still faster than many of the newer bikes out there and sometimes simple isn't always a bad thing
                I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Well, didn't keep the ZZR around for long. My friend picked up a 1999 Honda VFR800, which I test rode for him prior to purchase. Needless to say, after 4,000 miles in Kawi's saddle I sold the ZZR to another friend for $2k and picked up a 2000 VFR800 in yellow. Pics of both machines to come.

286404605_3067067570225065_6982378331432837259_n.jpg
                  Last edited by CaptBanana; 06-21-2022, 07:33 AM.
                  '00 Honda VFR800
                  '85 GPZ900R
                  '09 Suzuki V-Strom 650
                  '09 Ninja 500

Comment

Working...
                  X