Noob here With a ZZR600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob here With a ZZR600

Hi all, I have bought my 1st big bike a 1998 ZZR600 and a bit baffled. I'm having a strange fuelling or ignition issue at 2 to 4k revs, after that it sings and goes like a rocket :) I have checked the coils, changed spark plugs, checked HT leads. Stripped the carbs to clean, This is where I become baffled....... the main jet holder tube has holes down the sides but no hole down the centre. is this correct or am I stupid. I have socked them in carb cleaner and there is deffo no hole in the centre it is just brass. Could someone confirm this is correct please?? Also any one have any idea on what's happening between 2to4k revs please it sounds burbely, like a Subaru. the bike is running on all 4 (unless it stops at 2k to 4k revs) Please Please help :(
    Last edited by Dcads; 09-12-2021, 01:31 PM.

I would guess a fueling issue, or a vacuum leak contributing to a fueling issue. I know the carbs on the 1200's are prone to having a bad o-ring seal that is difficult to find or diagnose. I think it is the one at the top of the slide barrel.

Oh yeah, congrats, and welcome to the site.

Comment

Burbelling - sounding like a Subaru, usually indicates a rich mixture in that range. Perhaps your float needles are sticking? Idle mix set correctly?
      Perth, Western Australia.
      “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” - Oscar Wilde

Comment

thanks for the replies. I have rebuilt the carbs and my Haynes manual does not tell me how many turns out on the mixture screw. so i have put them out 2 and half turns which they were set at when i removed the carbs.

Comment

Hello and welcome
          congratulations on the zzr600 purchase

Comment

Originally posted by Dcads View Post
            thanks for the replies. I have rebuilt the carbs and my Haynes manual does not tell me how many turns out on the mixture screw. so i have put them out 2 and half turns which they were set at when i removed the carbs.
            You should be able to find the factory manual online to download. That will have all the specs.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
            99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Working...
            X