Buddy wants to sell me his 2003 ZZR 1200-any things to watch for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buddy wants to sell me his 2003 ZZR 1200-any things to watch for

Hi All, thanks for the add. It's the go on the web to come up to speed on a bike I know nothing about but sure looks tasty. Heck, I never even heard of this bike until last month. I currently ride a Versys 1000 LT and familiar with this sort of bike. Is the ZZR just a Versys/Ninja 1000 on steroids? The 2003 has 11000 miles and seems to be in good shape. Are there any issues with this beast or is it the typical Ninja/Concours Kawasaki quality and just GTO-gas tires and oil......Thanks for any input and I hope to become a contributing member of this forum. He is asking 3500 and that seems fair but not a whole lot of info on sales out there. Will this bike have potential to be a collector classic? I mainly do day tours and the hard bags appeal to me as I carry lots of camera gear. Thanks in advance for any input and I'll just surf the forum to get some answers. My friend comes back into town in 10 days. I think the top case from my Versys 1000 should fit right on the ZZR.

As for me- I've been riding since 2000 and started when I turned 50. Have owned a few different bikes, mostly cruisers then a Tiger Explorer 1200 for 5 years and 75,000 miles. I'm still working as a ships engineer in the engine room. Hope to retire in a few years and pursue nature photography riding around on my bikes. Life is good.
    Last edited by motor_psycho; 07-13-2021, 08:53 AM.

The ZZR 1200 is nothing like the Versys/Ninja 1000 on steroids in my opinion.

It is typical Kawasaki in that it is bullet proof. Change oil, lube chain, add fuel, replace tires, repeat......The engine is basically the same motor that Kawasaki used in their ZRX 1200. I believe just a little different cam profile. Power all day throughout the rev range.

Be advised that the ZZR is a BIG, HEAVY bike. However, once you get it rolling it handles well for what it is.

A 2003 with only 1100 miles!!! Sure that's the correct odo reading?

The bike is perfect for day tours. It comes with hard bags? Don't know if the top case from your Versys will work or not. Might have to get a different rack/adapter from GIVI or whoever for the ZZR.

Highly doubt it will ever become a collector classic. It does have a cult following. Hence this site

Glad to see you are still riding at 71!

Welcome to the site and post up some pics of it when you get a chance.

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

1100 miles since 2003? Not even run in!
      These bikes are all day runners. I've had mine since 2004 and it is a keeper. It will meet all of your needs speed-wise if that is what you're in to (your name seems to indicate so).
      Last edited by BillDownUnder; 07-10-2021, 06:08 PM.
      Perth, Western Australia.
      “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Thanks for the input and I’m going for it. The owner has over 30 bikes and most have almost no use. 3500 dies seem like a fair price.

ive been reading here about frame sliders and RG seems to come up as worthwhike

Comment

That’s a great find and seems like a fair price for a very low mileage garage Queen. You will love it. Keep us posted once you get it home and sorted. Welcome to the site.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Originally posted by motor_psycho View Post
            i've been reading here about frame sliders and RG seems to come up as worthwhile
            You will have to cut a hole in each of the side fairing pieces for them. Slider.JPG

Perth, Western Australia.
            “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” - Oscar Wilde

Comment

I just paid 3200 for one with 15k. However, I bought it from my riding buddy of over 30 years, so I knew the history of the bike. I would pay 3500 all day for one with that low miles. The more I ride it, the more I like it. I'm even keeping the stock pipes for now because they actually look good for one, and I enjoy the sound of them going down the road. I've had several fast bikes the last 15 years, and quickly put this bike in my top 5 of favorites bikes. Welcome to site and enjoy the bike when you finally get it!

Comment

Had R&G sliders on my bike.

PITA to install but worth it.
                I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

I think I had either Moko or Muzzy frame sliders on mine. I know for sure I didn’t have to cut the fairings to install them.

Comment

Just learned that the bike comes with "Muzzy" exhausts. Not sure if that's a whole headers to mouse hole or just slip on and a Corbin dual saddle. Sounds like a sweetener to me. Thanks for all your input and I've decided to go ahead and take a chance on it. Just sold a bike to a friend for a little more than the cost of this one so wife of 43 years won't kill me for bike #4. She also rides so that makes getting Moto stuff a lot easier. Were doing a trip in October around Lake Superior and Lake Michigan and she wants to go as Pillion. This sure looks like a much better steed than the Vulcan 900 I just sold. Will just need to add a back rest or top case and were off.

Comment

Things to watch out for....

Carbureted bikes do not like to be left sitting for long periods of time. If you rode it, and it's running well, it's likely had a recent carb cleaning. With only 1100 original miles, the bike is barely broken in, but, the carbs are a bit sensitive. One of the few drawbacks to this awesome bike.

Also... Check the tires for dry rot/cracking. If original, it's likely they need to be replaced after 18 years of non-use.

The absolute worst thing about the ZZR1200 is the stock seat. Corbin is the fix, which, is already installed. Bueno.

Happy and safe travels, and, welcome!
                      “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

There was some communication breakdown and I passed on the error of 1100 vs 11000 miles

Really makes more sense

Bike idles well and has been fed a diet of Seafoam and Nonethanol fuel that I use on all of my bikes

I should have the tags and insurance in a week or so and will post pics

Comment

It’s still barely broken in. As long as it’s in nice shape you can’t go wrong.

Comment

Very cool. Congrats!

Comment

Welcome aboard, Motor, and premature congratulations on the bike

I just clicked over 75,000 miles on my 03 and put 111,000 miles on an 02 with no trouble.

Buy with confidence ;)

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
                              ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Comment

Working...
                              X