Newbie Oldie but Goodie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Oldie but Goodie

Hi everyone, I believe I might be the oldest ZZR owner on the forum. 72 and still going strong (and smelling strongly of daily Sanatogen and Cod Liver Oil!) and living the dream, still riding the ZZR 600 and enjoying (ish) the experience. Have thought a few times about selling it and buying something more 'fitting' for an old guy - BMW Boxer, Honda Deauville, Zimmer Frame - but always (and I mean always) have second thoughts, because I bl**dy love the little lardbucket. Have fitted bar risers to make the seating position a bit more comfy, and it has transformed the bike into an everyday joyride. Love it to bits.

Anyway, about me: Retired, but a part-time carer for a disabled bloke, who lives 15 miles away - which gives me an opportunity to go to work on the Kwacker. Nice roads, plenty of sweeping bends, fast straights, pubs...

Married to the beautiful H, she's a tad younger than me, but we share the same interests, except biking, humour, TV programmes, and so on. I love playing piano, working my way up from two fingers now - only taken 20 years. I'm also keen on films, photography, wildlife, computing, writing fiction (have been published a few times) and - um - poetry. Loving classical music, but enjoy all music from before the world was created, except rap, grunge, house, garage, ice cream vans...

I would like to own an SV650, because it's nice, lighter, torquey, economical - but there aren't many people in my household who want me to have one, on the basis of: "Someone was killed on a motorbike 15 years ago in Scotland, so that proves they are dangerous." I dare not mention to her that the ZZR can travel at ballistic speeds, and an SV would, theoretically, be 'safer'. Taking the view that agreement is better than death by a thousand but...but...but...buts... I took the coward's way out and agreed the ZZR would stay - a wise decision.

Anyhow, have joined the forum and will probably ask for help in some form very soon; have just replaced front caliper seals and pads, and ready to bleed the bleeding system, so could end up in trouble. Watch this space...

Cheers
    Freddie

Welcome Freddie! Who knows, you may be the oldest forum member at the moment. Someone will chime in soon if you're not.
    Perth, Western Australia.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” - Oscar Wilde

Comment

You've only got 7 years on me. I too have some physical problems, too many ruptured discs and fusions, from an industrial accident. I had to give up sailing, stop flying, flew all over New England by myself before I had to stop. No one told me to stop flying, but I knew it was time. You have to be real about these things, but I will ride till I physically can't ride anymore, then I'll turn my ZZZR1200 into a trike!! :)

Comment

I'm surprised no one is older - so many of of look so!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bctrout View Post
          I resemble that remark!
          "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

I will be 68 years young next month.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Originally posted by bctrout View Post
              Speak for yourself. I don't have grey hair btw. It is arctic blonde ....
              Perth, Western Australia.
              “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” - Oscar Wilde

Comment

I see lots of younger riders doing some really stupid things, getting pulled over all the time. I ride fast as hell, but I know where to do it. Age sometimes brings experience, so we old farts get away without having any tickets for over 40 years, but we still do the stupid stuff where the police aren't. ;)

Comment

Working...
                X