Old Newbie

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Newbie

Hello everyone. I am returning to motorcycling after an 18 year hiatus. In January, I bought an '02 ZZR1200 C1 and have used this site already several times to help me with minor repairs and info. So, I decided to join, since I will undoubtedly be using this site more in the near future.

My previous bike was a red fuel-injected 1984 GPZ1100 which I sold after starting a family in 2000. Last fall, I began searching seriously for a ZX-11D. After a missed opportunity and a couple "no responses", I found my next love affair in a ZZR1200 with 31,000Km on the dial. I had it shipped from Calgary, Alberta to my home in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

I was a little uncertain about returning to ride on a big bore bike after so many years, so I took the beginner riding course to freshen up a bit and then took the bike on an 8 hour road trip to Minneapolis. The bike performed amazingly well - it has exceeded my expectations. It will need a good cleaning this Fall before I put it away for the winter and over time I want to replace the upper fairing and right side panel fairing as they are cracked and scratched up pretty bad (not by me). But for now, I put on a couple stickers to hide the damage and I will watch the used parts sections of Kijiji or other sites and wait for my chance to buy those pieces, one day, in black (with the metal blue flakes).

It is good to ride!
    The day I received the bike, I was in love all over again

Congrats on the new to you bike and welcome to the site.

Here in the United States the 02 ZZR 1200 is only available in Galaxy Silver.

The 2003 model is available in Pearl Mystic Black which is what your bike appears to be.

That being said, are you positive your bike is a 2002?

I do know that Canada had a color "Candy Thunder Blue" that wasn't available in the United States. Maybe this is a similar situation where it is a Canadian thing?

Anyway, wishing you many more happy miles.

Mike
    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Welcome aboard, Gvpm, and congratulations on the bike

Thanks also for the pic. Sorry about the damage but something will turn up on this site or on EBay to make it right.

Again, welcome

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
      ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Like you, my first bike after a long break was a ZZR1200. Take care, I had a few near misses in the first couple of years.

I sold mine last year, but I do miss it. Not so much in the twisties, but there's just nothing quite like the way they go and sound.

Last edited by Moise; 06-17-2018, 03:51 AM.
        "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
        99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Originally posted by BIG O View Post
          Congrats on the new to you bike and welcome to the site.

Here in the United States the 02 ZZR 1200 is only available in Galaxy Silver.

The 2003 model is available in Pearl Mystic Black which is what your bike appears to be.

That being said, are you positive your bike is a 2002?

I do know that Canada had a color "Candy Thunder Blue" that wasn't available in the United States. Maybe this is a similar situation where it is a Canadian thing?

Anyway, wishing you many more happy miles.

Mike
          Hello BIG O, thank you for the greeting and question. Yep, it is an '02. The sticker on the frame with serial number has a date of 01/02 on it. The speedo is only marked in KM/h which was a challenge riding in the states - I taped a paper chart of MPH to KMH to my tank bag so I would not run too hot ;). When I received the bike, the previous owner's registration was for an '02 and when I registered it, it came up as an 02.

I did not realize different years had different color schemes. Where do you learn about that? I love the factoids.

Cheers!

Glen

Comment

Originally posted by gpvm View Post

I did not realize different years had different color schemes. Where do you learn about that? I love the factoids.

Cheers!

Glen
            Yes, each year was a different color and at least one color was a Canadian/European only color.

As for where do you learn about the ZZR?

On this site of course!!!

Mike

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

I can only tell you about ZZR colors in the US but here you are -

2002 - Galaxy Silver (plain silver)
              2003 - Pearl Mystic Black (very very very dark metallic blue)
              2004 - Moonlight Silver (very light metallic blue)
              2005 - Ocean Metallic Blue (dark metallic blue but not as dark as PMB)

Canada had PMB in 2002. Yours is PMB, like so ...

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
              ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Comment

2002 - Galaxy Silver (plain silver)
                2003 - Pearl Mystic Black (very very very dark metallic blue)
                2004 - Moonlight Silver (very light metallic blue)
                2005 - Ocean Metallic Blue (dark metallic blue but not as dark as PMB) <--------the fastest bike of the group !
                See a Nascar race in Dover and support the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation

Comment

As you can see, you will get a lot of information about the Zed on this site. Just like the MSM, you have to filter out the fake news. Moto is correct.... Mike's trying to feed you a line of ........

Originally posted by Moto View Post
                  2002 - Galaxy Silver (quick silver)

2005 - Ocean Metallic Blue (dark metallic blue but not as dark as PMB) <--------the fastest bike of the group !
                  For those that never owned a Galaxy Silver 2002.

Last edited by sacowan; 06-14-2018, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Welcome! Candy thunder blue was one color available up North, but not here.
                    KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Just to close the loop, here (partially), I wrote to Kawasaki Canada and they confirmed today that my bike is a 2002 model year. They stated that the PMB color was not available until 2003 and they shared the company name they use that reproduces Kawi colors - if this is not already known, I hope it helps someone. In the meantime, I will continue to search for an original invoice, only because I hate not knowing.

I appreciate all the feedback and photos. I look forward to participating on the forums! If I learn anything different, I will update this thread.

Comment

As you can see, you will get a lot of information about the Zed on this site. Just like the MSM, you have to filter out the fake news. Moto is correct.... Mike's trying to feed you a line of ........

Hey fukbag! Stop editing my posts!!!!

Comment

I confirmed with a local dealer (Headingly Sport Shop in Manitoba, Canada) through their parts catalog for the 2002 model year that the 2002 ZZR1200 (ZX1200-C1) was available in Canada in both Pearl Mystic Black (color 218) and Galaxy Silver (color 473). I am a little disappointed in Kawasaki Canada referencing a 3rd party paint vendor to confirm the colors available in Canada while the local dealer referenced manufacturer's source material. The dealer may have earned a customer for life.

Through Google, I found a post on another website forum dated October 27, 2001 from a Canadian exclaiming how awesome it was that the new ZZR1200 would be available in silver and "Ninja Black", as they called it (http://www.kawasakiworld.com/zx-11/9...2-zzr1200.html).

And finally, I found a 2002 European advertising brochure which indicates 3 colors were manufactured in 2002 - apparently Candy Lightning Blue was not available in the UK, that year, if anyone cares (http://www.jarlef.no/Kawasaki/Images...zr2002ad11.jpg).

A Kawi dealer in Calgary, where I traced my bike back to, indicated a color code might be found under the seat to confirm what color my specific bike was at manufacture but I did not see a code anywhere under the seat or on the frame in that location or on the label on the toolbox. They no longer have my bike's serial number in their current system and it is not easily accessible to be able to confirm for me the color at sale - OK, I respect that. This is my mission, not theirs.

Anyway, that is confirmation enough for me - PMB it is.

Now to finish fixing my throttle cable and get back to riding next week!

Comment

Welcome to the site and congrats on purchasing one of the best and fastest big bore Kwaks. I rode mine many miles before upgrading to the ZX14. You will love it.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

For those that never owned a Pearl Mystic Black 2003
                              Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.

Comment

Working...
                              X