Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIP - 2 rode out but only one came home. Gone but not forgotten.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP - 2 rode out but only one came home. Gone but not forgotten.

I went for a ride with a motorcycle buddy last Thursday. We met a few years ago while riding our bikes. I hadn't known him long in the grand scheme of life but we had become friends through our common bond of riding. He loved to get together for local day rides to predetermined lunch spots. He always picked the place for lunch. We left for our 3 hour lunch ride on what was a beautiful morning. The day was perfect for our adventure. We had lunch at a little cafe / diner that he liked to frequent. We talked about all of the things two older riders would talk about; life and death, politics, economy, friends, family and of course our shared enthusiasm for our two wheel pastime.

On the ride home while traveling north on a 2 lane road with narrow shoulders in a staggered riding position (him in front and me behind by about 150 - 200 meters) I observed a line of vehicles traveling south when one of the south bound vehicles crossed into our north bound lane and attempted to pass when it was unsafe to do so. His dangerous pass placed my friend in a head on situation. I cried out to myself inside my helmet as I watched my friend as he left the road to avoid an imminent head on collision by veering onto the narrow shoulder to his right. I watched as he crossed onto the shoulder and I heard myself say "stay up, stay up" as he left the road into the ditch on the right. Luck was not on his side that day, he crashed in the ditch and died on impact.

We had an amazing team of witnesses with medical training who sprung into action and offered the best assistance one could ask for until the Emergency Response Team arrived. They continued with life saving measures including CPR and several defibrillation attempts for almost an hour until finally proclaiming him dead on the scene. The offending vehicle never stopped, he carried on southbound as the horrible tragedy unfolded. Fortunately witnesses followed the individual and were able to get photos of the vehicle and the license plate number, they then returned to the scene to provide the details to police. I was able to safely come to a stop on the shoulder and was at his side within a minute of him hitting the ground. I sensed immediately that he was already gone. He did not suffer and he died doing something he loved.

After several hours at the scene with the police and response team I got on my bike to ride the last hour home. Once safely home I told my wife of the tragedy and that my friend did nothing wrong, he was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. I believe in fate, when our time is up, it is up.

I had to go to the small community police station the next morning to do a recorded witness interview of the accident. It was another beautiful day and my wife asked me if I was going to drive or ride the 45 minutes each way to the police station. My first thought was to drive but after some reflection I decided to ride with thoughts and memories of my friend. He was not a part of our online community and because of privacy concerns I have intentionally left his name out of my post. As I said to my wife, my friend did nothing wrong, he was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. It was his time to go.

My final thoughts are, always be careful out there and remember to; "Say I love you often to those that matter." Whatever our activity, we may not be coming home that day or waking up that morning.

RIP my friend.
    Last edited by NotDeadYet; 06-13-2022, 06:31 PM.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

That is a truly horrible story. I am so sorry for your loss. My sincere condolences...
    Lee

Comment

Our thoughts and prayers. This is sad to see. My condolences as well.
      "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
      but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

So sorry to hear this Dave.

My condolences to his family and I hope you are holding up ok.

As most of us know, it isn't out actions that typically put us in peril but the actions of others.

I hope they are able to apprehend the oncoming driver and charge him/her to the the extent of the law.

Be safe my friend.

Mike

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Jeez Dave, that is super tough- and you had to see it all happen. I think your written description, actions and attitude are right on, but it might be hard to explain to some people about why you got back on your bike the next day. Like Mike said, I sure hope they nail this guy and it makes the paper when/if he gets a harsh sentence. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your friend's family.

Your friend,

Greg
          "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

Not a good day for you and your friend. Sincere condolences, sorry for your loss.
            I had my patience tested. I'm negative.

Comment

Sir, I only know you from your posts on this forum but I know we and the others here are kindred spirits. I send condolences on the loss of your friend and a fellow rider, and urge you to keep riding, carefully.
              We all have to evaluate our own situations individually and this will be on my mind in the coming days, but all I can do is be as vigilant as possible and enjoy the time given me. I've heard it said that tragedy is not in dying, but in not having lived fully while we had the chance.

Comment

So sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, Dave. Thank you for sharing such a difficult post to write. Hopefully, charges can be brought against the driver who was at fault and peace to his friends and family.
                My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
                http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

My sincere condolences to you and your friends family. Your story is probably our worst fear realized , even more so than our own demise I suggest.

Again my empathies.

Comment

Reading this just hurts. I am so sorry Dave.

Comment

Sincerest condolences Dave. So very sorry for you and your friend.
                      Here's hoping justice can/will be done in due course.
                      “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

So sorry to read this. I have seen a number of minor crashes while riding with others, but it is difficult to imagine what your experience was like. Take care, don't be slow to ask for help.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                        99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Man, that is rough. Wishing all involved much support, comfort, and strength.

May your friend rest in peace

Comment

I am very sorry to hear this news. Best wishes and prayers to you and your friends family.
                            Current Bikes - ZZR1200, KLR650, DR350S, CR125R
                            Past Bikes - GS1000L, KZ900, CB550F, RM125, Tote Gote

Comment

It's awful to read this. I'm so sorry for him and for you to lose a friend like that, Dave.

We all take the chances and have our close calls. You never know when it might happen.

It means a lot that you rode the next day. I'm sure he would have wanted you to do that.

Take care, Dave.

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
                              ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Comment

Working...
                              X