This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change your own tires cheap and easy.

It's been awhile since I've posted this, so after some prodding from JeffS, I'll repost it. Changing your own tires is easy and cheap. It just takes some practice and elbow grease.

Get a valve core removal tool and remove the core. Pssssssssssssss

Go to a local auto or truck shop and source a 25 gallon drum. They've probably got a couple laying around that they'll give ya.

Lay junk t-shirts or rags around the rim to avoid scratching the rim. The barrel also protects the rotors from being damaged.

Go to a tool store or hardware store and buy a good quality wood clamp. Make sure it's long enough to fit the back wheel.

I wrap the end of the vice with black tape to avoid scratching the rim. Put the bottom side on the rim, and the top side at the bead.

Start cranking down, and use a tire Iron to assist if needed. It'll break the bead loose with practice and the right position.

Repeat for the other side.

Buy some rim protectors from the internet or your local bike shop. They're cheap.

Fit them like so. Make sure the beads are loose all the way around.
    Then I mix up some laundry soap and water for lube.

Get the bead wet all the way around.
    KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Re: Change your own tires cheap and easy.

Get some tire irons, "spoons" and start spooning the tire over the rim.

I use a big screwdriver to keep the tire in place while I get my next section.

Then flip the tire over and lube the bead. Normally it will push off with no tools. Keep the opposite side of the tire in the center of the rim from the side you're pushing over the lip.

I used to always change the valve stem, but it's a waste of time if it's in good shape.

Lube up the new tire bead, paying attention to the direction of the arrows for proper rotation.

The first bead should push right on with no tools, with some practice. Push it over with a spoon if need be. It should only take one if it's a worst case scene.
    KN, this ride's for You.

Comment

The second bead might take 2 prys, just make sure your spoon is properly placed to avoid scratching the rim. You'll get a ding every once in awhile, but the money you save is worth it. I could have some brand new carbon fiber wheels with the money I've saved.

Fill it up while the beads are still wet. A small air pump will work in a pinch. They're not like car tires that need a big burst of air.

Install the valve core and set the pressure. You'll hear a pop from each bead as they fully seat.

Line the dot up with the valve stem for the closest balance point.

I'll post how to balance the tires soon if there's interest. It involves two chairs and the axle.

Have fun, and feel free to ask questions.
      KN, this ride's for You.

Comment

What was that blue stuff you were drinking?

Comment

Awesome write up Jman!!

Ur the shiznit! I'v got front and rear that need changed....Looks like ur the pro to go!

Comment

Nice!!!!

Comment

Great write up Jimmy! One added bit of info. I use 2 clamps...seems to make breaking the bead easier for me.

Comment

Nice.
                http://www.cyclepathic.com/

Comment

Who's the stud with the red hair in the picture?
                  Yea, 220..221, whatever it takes..... -Jack Butler

Comment

the striped boxers ad alot to the thread is that the proper attire to change a tire
                    sigpic
                    Dads Little Girl, Collette, I Miss you everyday !
                    Nina once told Me "Dont worry dad Big fishes take care of little fishes"

Comment

you mean the rainbow boxer ?

Comment

Thanks for reposting Jimmy--looking forward to Part II: "Two Chairs and an Axle."
                        My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
                        http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

Or you can substitute two motel luggage stands for the chairs.

Comment

Great post but seems like a lot of work to save $15.
                            Don't drive faster than your guardian angels can fly.

Comment

Originally posted by DB7 View Post
                              Great post but seems like a lot of work to save $15.

My shop usually charges closer to $50.

Not to mention there are some shops in my area that won't change a tire if you didn't but it from them

Not to mention my local shop has put a few scratches on my wheels

It really isn't that difficult once you get the technique down.

After all, $15 is 3 gallons of fuel

Mike
                              I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Working...
                              X