Cleaning ballistic jacket off hindle pipe tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning ballistic jacket off hindle pipe tip

The story is sad, and as old as time. One hot day, laziness had me 'hang' my jacket on my bike rather than where it belonged in my haste to have a bio break. Well, Sophie (07 black zzr6) was hot as beans, and my right angle exhaust tip gets pretty boiling when riding hard in 95 degree weather.

So, long story short, I have a melted Joe rocket ballistic jacket (black, for sale cheap) with a melted right arm, and a hindle tip that should be polished aluminium that is mostly melted black.

Suggestions on how to clean?

Re: Cleaning ballistic jacket off hindle pipe tip

Originally posted by Jerico
    The story is sad, and as old as time. One hot day, laziness had me 'hang' my jacket on my bike rather than where it belonged in my haste to have a bio break. Well, Sophie (07 black zzr6) was hot as beans, and my right angle exhaust tip gets pretty boiling when riding hard in 95 degree weather.

So, long story short, I have a melted Joe rocket ballistic jacket (black, for sale cheap) with a melted right arm, and a hindle tip that should be polished aluminium that is mostly melted black.

Suggestions on how to clean?
    Elbow grease!
    sigpic

Comment

First I would start with the usual suspects, mag / aluminum polish. If that doesn't do the trick you can progress to Eagle One wadding polish.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ci_sku=7040046
      sigpic

"I was just checkin' the specs on the endline rotary girder..."
      -Tommy Callahan

Comment

I've used ether to get rubber/plastic of chrome before than a little chrome polish afterwards.
        I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body.

Comment

Either oven cleaner or Permatex Gasket Remover (caustic and very caustic, use caution!!!!!!) will clean the pipe. Unless Joe Rocket has repair parts (p.m. ZZ-r) you may be looking at a new jacket.

Comment

Originally posted by Danno
            Either oven cleaner or Permatex Gasket Remover (caustic and very caustic, use caution!!!!!!) will clean the pipe. Unless Joe Rocket has repair parts (p.m. ZZ-r) you may be looking at a new jacket.
            I thought about the Easy Off Oven Cleaner as a suggestion too. Then I went to their website and the say that using it on aluminum is a big No-No. I've blemished the surface of both of my swingarms because of the overspray of the Easy Off. Granted it's my fault for not catching the overspray but if those cans are aluminum then...
            sigpic

"I was just checkin' the specs on the endline rotary girder..."
            -Tommy Callahan

Comment

Aluminum is easily repolished once the melted munge is gone.

Comment

Very fine Rouge will polish aluminum to Chrome like appearance. I just polished the side cases on my 1983 GS750ES, I was shocked by how bright they came out.

Comment

Being how he's had 10 years of scrubbing, he probably has it cleaned by now.
                  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
                  but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Originally posted by CHARLIE View Post
                    Being how he's had 10 years of scrubbing, he probably has it cleaned by now.
                    Perth, Western Australia.
                    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” - Oscar Wilde

Comment

I saw that too. That might be a record in old thread resurrection.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

That's funny. On my forum only the Original Poster can post in a thread more than 3 months old, with no new posts. It eliminates these kind of things, and it's done on an honor basis. I just lock the thread if someone makes a mistake. My 2 cents worth.

Comment

The R1 forum goes back over 20 years. Someone recently resurrected a thread from 2003!

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                          99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Please, don't take this as a "tit for tat thing", but I took over my forum 16 years ago, resurrecting it, and more than doubled it's membership, it had been around for 10 years before that. It's just a forum on building paper models, and models using combined, or other mediums, completely free and very private, but open to the public. This forum is the only forum I have been on where the membership treats each other with so much respect, never any pissing contests. It's great, and those old threads, like on my forum, have vast amounts of useful information. Sometimes I find myself responding to a 15 year old thread that a noob posted in. I just close the thread and start a new thread with the noob's comment. It's great to find forums that people can join an have comrades in, and in a peaceful way.

Comment

Working...
                            X