ZZR1200 or ZRX 1200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZZR1200 or ZRX 1200

I am trying to figure which bike is best for me. I just sold my cruiser and have narrowed it down to either a ZZR 1200 or ZRX 1200. I am 6'2" and over 300. I have a choice of the two and have found both close by for purchase just need some imput from you guys?

wow I could give u a whole dissertation on the topic but you'll have to wait until later as I have a date w/my pillow.......

zzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Lee

Comment

Lee is definitely your man to seek advice on both machines. He still cant make up his mind between the 2.
      They laugh at me because I am different. I laugh at them because they're all the same!----KJ

For those who ride, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation is possible!!!---KRA(My Twin)

Comment

bigdawg, I'm wanting a cruiser as a second bike. What did you have and why did you sell it? As far as the zrx vs zzr, I had a zrx1100 and now a zzrbikes. I love both bikes but I like the exra wind protection on the zzr but it seems the zrx had a little more leg room.

Comment

Lee is definitely the expert, but I've done a bit of research on ZRX's myself. I was actually looking for a ZRX when I came across my ZZR.

What kind of riding are you planning to do? Do you prefer wind protection, or "riding naked"? Do you want to feel like you're going 80 when you're going 80 (ZRX), or feel like you're going 50 (ZZR)?

The ZZR is longer and lower. The reach to the bars (clip-ons) is longer and lower on the ZZR, making its riding position a bit more aggressive. The ZZR is faster above 60mph, and off the line. The ZRX will not launch from a standing start as well as a ZZR since it has a higher CG. The ZRX has more acceleration available below 60 mph, but I'm not sure it can use it since it wheelies easier. The ZZR makes a much better drag bike in stock trim. The ZRX is a hooligan bike. The ZZR is a two wheeled equivalent of a BMW 5 series. Both are quite durable, but ZRX's tend to get beat on moreso than ZZR's. If you prefer stock, you'll have a harder time finding an unmolested stock ZRX than a ZZR. I know that ZRX1100's are quite susceptible to engine damage if run for any amount of time on their side. Not sure about the ZZR. Handling: Low speed favors the ZRX. High speed favors the ZZR. The ZRX has minimal wind protection. The ZRX will be better for around town commuting. The ZZR will be better for highway use. Tight, twisty roads with lots of switchbacks would probably favor the ZRX. Sweeping turns are better on the ZZR. But keep in mind that the ZZR will still be much better in tight twisty stuff than any cruiser or Gold Wing. I find that my corner speed on the ZZR is not limited by the bike, but by visibility. It will corner just as fast as I'm willing to for road conditions. For two up, the ZZR is probably a little better, but I'm not sure on that one. I think the ZZR engine is a little smoother. The ZZR headlights are much better. The ZRX has much more underseat storage. All year of ZZR's are the same, except the front forks got more adjustability in 04.

That should do ya until the expert arrives.
          - 2WP
          77 KZ650C,
          02 ZZR1200 in the faster and not so better handling Galaxy Silver (deceased)

Comment

Welcome BigDawg - no advice ehre except to say that I'd like to have a ZRX in addition to my ZZR

BMW 5-series? Not mine!! It's a 1969 Grand Prix SJ w/ a 4-spd - long, low, powerful, comfy, and maximized old tech to the exclusion of new-fangled gadgets

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
            ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyTrain
              BMW 5-series? Not mine!! It's a 1969 Grand Prix SJ w/ a 4-spd - long, low, powerful, comfy, and maximized old tech to the exclusion of new-fangled gadgets
              OK. I'll agree that it doesn't match the BMW 5-Series in terms of gadgetry, but in terms of driving (riding) characteristics, it's a pretty good analogy. Both are comfy, fast, and good handling.
              - 2WP
              77 KZ650C,
              02 ZZR1200 in the faster and not so better handling Galaxy Silver (deceased)

Comment

Just f-ing with you, 2Wheel

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
                ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyTrain
                  Welcome BigDawg - no advice ehre except to say that I'd like to have a ZRX in addition to my ZZR

I was thinking more along the lines of a 73 Z28 396 4-speed or a 74 SD455 T/A.
                  And in a showing of great minds think alike; I too would like to have a ZRX 1200 in addition to my ZED
                  Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.

Comment

these guys stole my thunder- there's little I can add to what's already been said. It breaks down to what you're really going to do w/the bike. I think it's fair to say the ZRX is a more urban ride w/a do-it-all purpose in the mode of the traditional Universal Japanese Motorcycle (UJM) whereas the ZZR is better geared towards high speed, distance commuting/traveling. You can't go wrong w/either bike.
                    Lee

Comment

Thanks to all who replied. I think I have decided on the ZZR. It will more fit my needs. I'll have to add rizers and lower the pegs but tats with most any bike with me.

Comment

THROW zrx in the weeds and get the zzr
                        sigpic
                        Dads Little Girl, Collette, I Miss you everyday !
                        Nina once told Me "Dont worry dad Big fishes take care of little fishes"

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdawg78387
                          Thanks to all who replied. I think I have decided on the ZZR. It will more fit my needs. I'll have to add rizers and lower the pegs but tats with most any bike with me.
                          did I happen to mention I know a really sweet, low mileage 04 available in SoFla?

Lee

Comment

Originally posted by spectorman
                            Originally posted by Bigdawg78387
                            did I happen to mention I know a really sweet, low mileage 04 available in SoFla?

Lee
                            Yeah low mileage and well maintained

Comment

I have both, I and don't want to get rid of either one.

The ZRX is my adrenalin rush. I have the 'S' model, with fairing. The ZZR is my big tourer. Both are powerful bikes. Both have their big positives.

Test-ride both, and decide.

Bill.
                              I had my patience tested. I'm negative.

Comment

Working...
                              X