The Joy of a new front tire!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Joy of a new front tire!

I finally got to put in a nice 120 mile ride today- first in many weeks. I had replaced the front Pirelli weeks ago but not gotten to get out and ride on the new Metzler yet. I tried to get as many miles as possible out of that old front tire, and it was horrible by the time I took it off. How bad became clear today- the new tire was like magic, the bike handles SO MUCH better- great turn-in, with massive stability mid-turn, while easy to change lines. I felt like I could do no wrong. Now I remember why I had gotten into the habit of replacing the front when the rear is shot- even though the front still usually looks fine. The rear Pirelli's would last about 3k miles... I rode this front another 1,200 or so this time. It had gotten to be real work to ride through corners and felt untrustworthy. Because the front tire degrades slowly I guess I just didn't notice how really terrible it had become- though I should have known better.

I think I will go back to changing the front with the rear. Life is too short to ride around on a great bike with a shit tire.

G
    "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Fresh rubber really is the best "mod" one can make , dollar for dollar . Riding around Spokane, or Republic ?

Comment

I have always changed out front and rear at the same time. I love the difference a new set of shoes makes. It really does transform the bike.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

New Road 6, front and rear, go on the Ninja tomorrow. 4000 miles on the OEM Bridgestones. Looking forward to the new tire feel. In the mean time the ZZR sits with a slow leaking rear tire.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo555 View Post
          Fresh rubber really is the best "mod" one can make , dollar for dollar . Riding around Spokane, or Republic ?
          My usual route SE from Spokane to Plummer, ID via farmland and hill country. Beautiful. No cars. No cops.
          "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

I have as well, changed out the front with the rear. When I have way in the past, it was like I was putting on one or the other
            all of the time. I've always taken the mindset that the front has been just as many miles as the rear, even still having tread.
            So, change them both. Hell, I don't change one shoe at the time, even though my left is harder on shoes than my right.Odd.
            "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
            but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

With sports tyres I used to change the front with every second rear. But I had a day of riding tuition about 4 years ago which resulted in quite a change in how I corner, and now the rears last longer.

The last 2 sets, I have changed both tyres at the same time. It does feel good to have new tyres front and rear.

I currently have Road 5 tyres on the R1, and it looks like the front will need replacing before the rear!

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
              99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Working...
              X