No announcement yet.

Chain lube recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since using the ACF-50, I lubricate the chain only half as often as I usually did previously. It keeps it clean and rust free. Not cheap though.
    I had my patience tested. I'm negative.

Comment

Well... I have not bought a can of chain lube in 10 years (at least). I hit mine hard with some WD40 and a rag to clean it off a few times a year, but that's it. My ZX14R now has just under 20k on it and I have had to adjust the chain ONCE, at 18,000 miles. In other words, it is not wearing out. My sprockets look great too. Lesson? Modern 0-ring chains are AMAZING. With all the torque this bike puts out (and I use heavily) I cannot believe that the chain has not stretched. I am far happier that not having to lube my chain means I don't have to clean that sludge off my rear wheel, than I am about saving the money I used to spend on chain lube!

Just saying.

G
      "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

Originally posted by gregness View Post
        Well... I have not bought a can of chain lube in 10 years (at least). I hit mine hard with some WD40 and a rag to clean it off a few times a year, but that's it. My ZX14R now has just under 20k on it and I have had to adjust the chain ONCE, at 18,000 miles. In other words, it is not wearing out. My sprockets look great too. Lesson? Modern 0-ring chains are AMAZING. With all the torque this bike puts out (and I use heavily) I cannot believe that the chain has not stretched. I am far happier that not having to lube my chain means I don't have to clean that sludge off my rear wheel, than I am about saving the money I used to spend on chain lube!

Just saying.

G
        Modern chains are impressive. I have done almost 10,000 miles on an EK ThreeD chain that I fitted to the R1 a year ago, and it's almost worn enough to need adjusting for the first time.

I'm not exactly meticulous in my chain maintenance, but I do try to get some lube on the chain every 500 miles or so. If nothing else, it quietens the chain slightly and stops it from rusting!

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
        99 Yamaha R1

Comment

There's a NZ importer of Tirox products and they have the Ultra chain lube. I will get my local bike shop to order a can.

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

On Tirox website, there is a NZ distributor.
            And clicking on the link gives: https://dold.co.nz/collections/tirox
            I suggest you get the Synthetic chain wax instead of the "Ultra chain lube". No "waxy" at all and very clean product!
            I have nothing against the ultra chain lube (never tried it) but since the synthetic chain wax gave me so great results, I would not change it.
            Last edited by Claude; 05-20-2022, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Claude View Post
              On Tirox website, there is a NZ distributor.
              And clicking on the link gives: https://dold.co.nz/collections/tirox
              I suggest you get the Synthetic chain wax instead of the "Ultra chain lube". No "waxy" at all and very clean product!
              I have nothing against the ultra chain lube (never tried it) but since the synthetic chain wax gave me so great results, I would not change it.
              The Ultra is all that they have, and even that has proved difficult to order. I've given up in the meantime and bought a can of Motul Factory Line.

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Don't believe the reviews that say Motul Factory line doesn't fling off. It does, and leaves white marks on the rear wheel and tyre.

Seems to be an OK lube though, there's a grey film on the rollers, and the chain is slightly tacky to touch. I hope it doesn't attract dirt.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Working...
                X