Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain lube recommendations

Must be time for a chain lube thread!

When Dupont stopped making the original chain lube in the blue can, I bought a few as I thought it was easily the best chain lube I had tried. Sadly, my last can is almost empty so it's time to find a replacement.

I've tried some other chain lubes over the last couple of years but haven't found anything even half as good as the Dupont.

So, what would be your recommendation? I would like something similar to what I've been using, which means a dry lube that doesn't attract dirt, doesn't end up on the rear wheel and actually lubricates the chain. Not much to ask you'd think.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
    99 Yamaha R1

First I clean the chain with some kerosene and the wife's toothbrush.
    I then apply a light coat of ACF-50 (Anti Corrosion Formula). It protects and lubricates. A light coat generally means no dirt.
    I then use a very light spray of Motul chain lube (Road).

I've been doing this for a few years now, and always a good result.
    I had my patience tested. I'm negative.

Comment

I also was using Dupont as it was the highest rated lube at webbikeworld.
      When Dupont stopped making the stuff, I got back at webbikeworld and the best one to use became "Tirox synthetic wax" (http://tiroxproducts.com/chain-wax.html).
      I have been using it since 5-6 years now and never looked back. I just received this week my order of 4 new cans!

Comment

I deep clean the chain regularly with a grunge brush and whatever chain cleaner I have on hand then lube with Chainwax. After daily rides I generally spray a cleaning rag with WD40 and surface clean the chain then lube with Chainwax.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

I've been using kerosene and grunge brush, wipe down with rag followed with KlotzKLR (after reading a very detailed thread on this topic). I have read a general warning of 'do not use wd40' - so I've kept wd40 away from those o-rings. But if you've had good luck with your products, I'd say stick with what you know works. I've got 7 chain bikes, with my ZZR with >55K on it.

Comment

Easily available on Amazon -

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Chain-...5505c9d1e&th=1

I usually order 4-6 cans at a time.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
            ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Comment

[QUOTE=CrazyTrain;n1215877]Easily available on Amazon -

Speaking of Amazon I generally get some of this.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Kerosene on a rag when it looks unclean; Motul chain paste afterwards

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyTrain View Post
                  Easily available on Amazon -

Currently unavailable...

I remember that Webbikeworld were not very impressed with the Chain Saver. How do you find it?

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

I use 80/90W after a thorough cleaning of chain with kerosene.

Comment

Originally posted by Moise View Post
                      Currently unavailable...

I remember that Webbikeworld were not very impressed with the Chain Saver. How do you find it?

Sorry Moise. It's available here through Amazon :/

~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

Comment

ACF-50 anti-corrosion formula here as well. I used Chainwax stuff before, for years. It pretty much stays put
                        as far as chain lubes go. If you use the ACF-50 stuff, careful where you spray, this stuff is slick as owl shit
                        and if it gets on something you don't want it on, must remove it pretty quick. It stays on well on the chain too.
                        "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
                        but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyTrain View Post

Sorry Moise. It's available here through Amazon :/
                          I love it. I've noticed no difference between it and the former Dupont teflon lube. Been using both for many years since ReidMcT recommended it here in ~2006.

~Eumenes of Cardia

Comment

Originally posted by notdeadyet View Post
                            i deep clean the chain regularly with a grunge brush and whatever chain cleaner i have on hand then lube with chainwax. After daily rides i generally spray a cleaning rag with wd40 and surface clean the chain then lube with chainwax.
                            x 2 sort of. I'm lucky in that where I ride isn't that bad for dirt on chains. I have a circular coil brush I loop on in combination with a good chain cleaner while on the centre sand and run it back & forth till she's clean wiped down with a rag. Then, its back to chain wax for me with supplemental overs prays when she's hot .
                            Last edited by bctrout; 05-12-2022, 10:51 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Thanks everyone for your responses. It looks like the problem I will have is finding some of the products locally (NZ). I can't find the Dupont chain saver, there is an importer for Tirox but no one has it in stock, and some Wurth products are sold here, but their chain lube isn't one of them.

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Working...
                              X